1 ... 3 4 5
Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
7/8/18 10:34 a.m.

Well, I didnt have the car ready for the 30th.

Annd..  I didnt have it done before becoming a father.  

Might take me a bit to get around to finishing up the last bits.

• Battery
  • Belt that fits
  • hose clamps for fuel and coolant lines
  • new heater valve
  • install or bypass heater
  • new dual gauge (oil/coolant)
  • Wire generator and starter
  • set ignition timing
  • set carbs
a_florida_man
a_florida_man Reader
7/8/18 10:36 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

Congrats... Little Batman is a far greater achievement!!!

purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater Reader
7/8/18 10:56 a.m.

Before you were born I was in a race to finish my classic F-100 before my daughter was born. This was mid 1979. The running gear was done, new running boards, paint, new wood in bed, seat from a 70s Lincoln but the interior unfinished when Cassandra arrived. Fast forward to 2000, I sold the truck, engine was tired, paint was chipped, INTERIOR STILL WASN"T FINISHED! But we had fun! Sheet metal comes & goes, enjoy your child!

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy UltraDork
7/8/18 10:32 p.m.

Super congrats on the arrival of the little one. yes

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
8/22/18 2:56 p.m.

Thrash day planned!   Draw friends over with offerings of pizza and beer and tempt their significant others with meeting the baby all in an effort to get this over the line to running!

Parts to order and probably efforts to be made on shop organization. 

When you have friends who are terrible enablers...   Ive been offered ANOTHER bugeye project.  Dont hold your breath on that, if I do it it wont be soon. That said, vintage racing is interesting to me. But a squarebody just makes more sense and I might be more interested in open wheels or a sportsracer than that. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
9/24/18 9:44 a.m.

So, the thrash day happened.

Much progress was made. 

We pulled the pan to get the leftovers of the old broken dipstick tube.

finished mounting, plumbing and wiring the fuel system

mounted the generator

Installed dual gauge (coolant temp/oil pres)

finished engine wiring.

and a bunch of other small stuff its hard to remember

got to cranking, but no spark.   I have some fiddling to do to figure this out.  Early guess is that the distributor I rebuilt is grounding the points or the condenser is kaput.   I have spare points and condenser if it comes to that. 

It was exciting to even hear fuel pump noises and cranking. I've had this car since 2015 and havent gotten to make fast headway on it. 

That was Saturday, taking a bit of time and will poke into the distributor with a multimeter some night this week. 

Big thanks to all my friends who came out to help!

Keep an eye for this thread.   IT SHOULD RUN SOON

RoddyMac17
RoddyMac17 Reader
9/24/18 10:11 a.m.

Make sure you have the wire from the condensor to the points in the right place. The ring on the condensor wire (and the LT lead) should be in contact with the spring on the points but insulated from the post that holds the points in place.  Other than that, check that the rotor isn't cracked, the 23/25D rotors are notorious for cracking (unless you have one of the "rivetless" rotors, ie the good ones).

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
9/24/18 10:41 a.m.

I bet it is something more simpler, but here is the test for a bad rotor: (Assuming the points are working)

Remove the distributor cap

Remove the coil wire from the cap

Hold the coil wire over the metal on the rotor

Crank engine: If a spark jumps to the rotor, it is grounded and hence faulty.

Pete

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
10/18/18 12:38 p.m.

Anyone interested in buying one of these?  I'm not selling mine, but the guy I bought it from has another for sale.  Needs work, but not too much rust to my recollection. 

I did manage to work on it a little.  Figured out the problem with the distributor (isolators in the wrong place on the points, my bad). Then figured out the timing roughly.  It starts.  I need to remove a plate to get access to the timing marks to put a gun on it, then lots of carb fiddling.

Oh yeah, the tank was dirtier than I thought...  nasty varnish.   Storing some mower gas in the tank to flush it some, going to drain it for the mowers and keep doing that for awhile.  

Either that or just bite the bullet and get a new tank over the winter.  we will see if it cleans up. 

1 ... 3 4 5
Our Preferred Partners
bzU75oIPFtXVBcNm7ex7s3AcDaypG1anuHMNPdT0wAI5L09Zbgm8RHnTXm64gVM7