1 2
Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
5/16/16 4:47 p.m.

The 350/th350 got pulled out of the Firebird and placed in the garage next to the 440/727. Next I'm going to put the steering column back in so I can steer it onto the trailer. But of course I need to get my new project off the trailer before I can put this one on it, and this car was where I wanted to put that truck.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
5/17/16 12:00 a.m.
So I'm pretty sure the reverse staggered tire combo the Bravada has right now is sort of killing the transfer case

There's no sort of on that one. You're definitely breaking it.

Once you've 'converted' it to 2wd you might as well have v8-swapped the Jeep!

Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
5/17/16 12:02 a.m.

In reply to Vigo:

Yeah it's parked until I buy 2 more tires. I'll probably change the oil the transfer case then too.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
5/17/16 2:17 a.m.

Im not an actual expert but if you look here i think part #31 is the thing you're breaking. Probably a viscous coupling. It's a Borg Warner 4472 transfer case.

http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=438015

Oh look a better thing. http://www.rsgear.com/articles/1996_12.pdf

It's definitely a viscous coupling.

Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
5/17/16 6:57 a.m.

Yeah that was my estimation as well, but it was one of those "maybe that's just something everyone on the internet says that's not actually true". The angry noises and very noticeable vibrations are telling me "nope, they ain't lyin'".

Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
5/23/16 10:31 p.m.

Ok the Firebird is on the trailer ready to go, next victim I think is the BMW. I spent a few minutes thinking about putting the 350 in it, then decided it should probably just be the next one to leave instead. Anybody know of any parts I should save off of it to try selling seperately? It's a '95 325i auto convertible with an engine that's been overheated repeatedly. Interior is mostly trash but the leather power seats and the dash are in pretty good shape.

Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
6/7/16 11:52 p.m.

Firebird and E36 are gone. Garage feels really empty with only 1 car in there instead of 3. Nothing else of interest to report.

Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
7/9/16 6:58 p.m.

So with the 350 out of the Firebird still sitting here. And the decidedly still useful Olds Bravada still here as well. It's been decided to do the obvious.

Considering being lazy and buying mounts/oil pan to reduce headache.

Using iron manifolds that are currently on the 350 for now to furthe reduce headache. (they look just like the 4.3 manifolds but sightly longer to me)

700R4 bolts up to the 350 unless somebody forgot to tell me something.

We have multiple carbs to pick from, so we'll use one of those, but leave the TBI wiring mostly intact so we can go back to it later if we want.

350 appears to have the required mounts for the 4.3's Alternator, power steering, and AC brackets.

Obviously no room for the clutch fan from the 4.3, but we have the electric puller fan from the Firebird and the pusher fan from the E36 still laying around. Might even go crazy and use both.

If it fits under the hood I might even reuse the 4.3 air cleaner for a while, even though we have one of those 10" edlebrock hot air intakes sitting here.

Engine is of unknown origin but has perimeter bolt valve covers and I believe a 2 piece rear main seal. so I'm assuming some hurdles in the bell housing area might be hiding.

Anything else I'm missing?

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
7/10/16 12:58 a.m.

TBI can be swapped from v6 to v8 with just a computer (or even just chip) swap and a tiny number of harness adjustments. I don't know the specifics 100% but it's honestly probably way easier to get it running properly with a tbi setup than with a carb unless the carb has run correctly on that engine sometime recently anyway.

Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
7/10/16 2:02 a.m.

The engine was started with a carb once in the Firebird ( over a year ago). I believe it ran in the car before that but I wasn't there to see it. It's certainly a pre-TBI engine.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
8/10/16 10:40 p.m.

Nobody cares, but the PT is gone now.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/11/16 8:37 a.m.
Chadeux wrote: Nobody cares, but the PT is gone now.

On the contrary, your yard must look much better sans PT Cruiser. Keep chipping away.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
8/11/16 7:38 p.m.

So out of the original group, only the Bravada, Jeep, and grey Dodge are left. Ignore that I went and bought another Dodge and a Saturn. I was getting a load of scrap ready to start the actual clean up process, but then I ended up needing the trailer for the previously mentioned Saturn. My sister has decided she wants the Jeep as her first car, so me and dad are probably going to end up rebuilding a 4.0.

egnorant
egnorant SuperDork
8/12/16 9:42 a.m.

Good progress! As long as you are impressing yourself its all good.

Bruce

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
10/3/16 12:37 a.m.

So I bought that Saturn, got a decent amount of work done on it. Dad asks me one day what I want to do with it and offers me the money I have in it for it. I admittedly had spent entirely too much time looking at shoving my old 350 in the Bravada, so I counter with that offer and the Bravada is mine again. (I think this deserves it's own thread, but I'm not starting it until I actually have the engine sitting in the chassis at the very least). So when I got home from work yesterday I drug it up to the house so I could start work on it and realized that I'm going to have to make a place to work again before I start tearing into an engine swap project. So it looks like I'm going to have to start spending my mornings actually doing the cleanup part of this odyssey.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
9/10/17 6:57 p.m.

Update on this situation.  A lot of cleanup has taken place. Several dump and scrap runs have been made. The white truck is gone, a green truck came and then left missing a few parts. The D350 left but got replaced by a GTA roller. The grey truck did just get drug back up to the house and if I don't decide to be lazy and watch the Drag Week live stream tomorrow I plan on dropping the busted transfer case out.  Garage still needs attention so cars can actually go in there but things are actually doing for once.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
12/8/17 5:41 p.m.

So let me update this dumb thread again.

-2000 Dodge 1500 4x4: work finally began. I discovered the damage actually went further than originally thought. Not only did the transfer case explode, the mounting flange  broke clean off the tail housing the trans. New tail housing has been acquired, this truck might be back driving soon after it sat for probably 3 years. Through a weird turn of a events this ended up being my problem. Means I don't have to go looking for a truck for a while.

-1987 Pontiac Trans Am GTA: engine assembly began, but is back burnered again until I get other stuff out of the way. Definitely not going anywhere. 

-1991 Olds Bravada: More ideas were spitballed, but reality is about to take hold and this thing needs to go. I'm going to get anything I want to keep out of  it and list the shell for $500. If nobody bites in a month it goes to scrap. I think the truck is too clean to see that fate, but I really doubt anybody else is going to want it and any further work on this truck is truly good money after bad. If anybody wants some black leather interior bits including a perfect black dash for your square S10 project, I'll pretty much just give them to you if you want to come to Kentucky to get them. 

-1999 Chevy Malibu: Daily beater I started to hate, decided to race it in King Of The Heap. Probably going to try to sell it cheap in the spring. Is currently running great as long as you don't let it get much below a half tank of fuel.

-1999 Saturn SL1: My beater project was sold to my dad, he's done not much with it, shifter cable popped loose while moving it around the yard. He's still trying to sell it, no luck has been had. Might find it's way to scrap. Its a really high mile car with a bleh interior, bad body, and a slightly bent frame. I don't think the world will miss it.  Not mine but it's on my list because I've been told to use it for the purpose I originally bought it for, which was learning to drive a manual trans. So I plan on fixing it, putting tags an insurance on it and driving it. 

Other vehicles on the property I don't consider to be my problem:

-1997 Mustang GT 4.6 Covertible: It runs, looks terrible, needs tires.

-2004 Dodge 1500 4x4 crew cab long bed: dad's recently acquired tow pig. It runs, needs attention, but runs.

-2011 Honda Crosstour: Soon to hit 100k miles. It's a 6 year old Honda, what else do you need to know? 

-1996 Jeep Cherokee 2wd: is still a roller waiting on the engine rebuild.

The update here is that most of the problem vehicles ended up being mine. But I have a plan, so that's something I guess.

There's still no room in the garage for the GTA, really need to fix that.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
12/22/17 4:11 p.m.

And then I sold the Bravada. It now gets to be an organ donor for the new owner's Blazer project.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
12/23/17 6:03 a.m.

Wow, you and your crew acquire and sell a LOT of cars!  Actually sounds like a fun cleanup project to me.  More fun than my backyard cleanup project which involved broken fences and lots of poison ivy.  Cars are better.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
12/23/17 6:18 a.m.

Yeah I think the acquiring has been halted until the ones we have either run or leave. 

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
12/26/17 5:55 p.m.

And this is where I finally decided to quit dreading the actual work part of this and start throwing things on the truck. Spent the last bit of light I had going through the garage and driveway grabbing every piece of metal that didn't obviously fit one our current projects or have an obvious value of more than $100 and threw it on the truck. I'll go unload it after I get out work tomorrow and then load some more up when I get home.  After the scrap runs are done, the dump runs start. Then miserable attempts at selling the rest comes after that. 

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 SuperDork
12/27/17 11:34 a.m.

Sounds like a fantastic plan.  The projects that you really want to do will be much more enjoyable with some extra space and a little extra cash. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kEMnSsvyy1EL8XHGSKYX9XAwrEhoHJq5zzRvRsKhT83iobEjYzMQyvgJFkVPi9eD