1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 20
JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
2/5/18 6:57 a.m.

This weekend I wasn't able to get the truck off the chassis table, but I am all finished with everything under the chassis.  The frame rails are all boxed, fuel line ran, fuel filter mounted, wiring harness routed, rear brake line made and connected, driveshaft installed, and lastly the exhaust modified and remounted.  This pretty much ends any work I'll need to do from under the truck.  Now I can focus on getting it on the tires.

....and lastly I just need to get the tires mounted.

appliance_racer
appliance_racer Reader
2/5/18 11:16 a.m.

I check this thread at lunch on Mondays to take a little bit of the edge off of Mondays. 

Thanks for keeping us updated. 

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
2/5/18 5:19 p.m.

In reply to appliance_racer :

haha....it's funny you say that.  I use this weekly update to give me a "jump" into the week's work!

Noser7
Noser7 New Reader
2/7/18 6:42 p.m.

Man i think im more pumped thwn you to see it completed

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
2/12/18 6:42 a.m.

Another Monday morning update.

Finally got the truck sitting on the ground.  I'm getting excited to see what this thing can do.

The rear tire fitment was pretty good.  The front is a whole another story.  As you'll see below I had to do more hacking on the old truck.

I'm going to be welding in a filler stripe behind the fender, but I'm going to claim this as fender "venting" like "proper" race cars have....

And so for the first time in 4 months it drove out of the shop.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
2/12/18 8:06 a.m.

berkeleying sweet! No interference with the steering? 

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
2/12/18 8:33 a.m.

In reply to Crackers :

Thanks!  No, I checked steering with the bare rim and was able to make adjustments earlier this winter.  The new diameter with tire is what I wasn't very prepared for.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
2/12/18 8:34 a.m.

... you flared the flare?  This is outstanding.  

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
2/12/18 8:49 a.m.

In reply to pres589 :

bahaha......  You know, your right!  

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
2/12/18 10:48 a.m.

I love your ventilated front fender. This is going to be the coolest Ranger in the country

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/12/18 10:57 a.m.
pres589 said:

... you flared the flare?  This is outstanding.  

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
2/12/18 11:54 a.m.

I like this idea.

Needs a grate of some sort to finish it off and  so people don't just think the fender is falling off.

Pete

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
2/12/18 3:34 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Your right.  I've been wanting to buy some dimple dies.  Maybe this would be a good spot to make use of them?

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
2/12/18 3:50 p.m.

This kind of stuff might look good there;

http://www.mcnichols.com/products/perforated/round-hole/round-hole-2/

RossD
RossD MegaDork
2/12/18 4:04 p.m.

It needs to be gills.

Or whatever you call this technique:

Just ignore the prancing horse. I'm sure it's not indicative of cost to manufacture said grill insert.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
2/12/18 4:07 p.m.

In reply to JGRAHAM :

I just bought these and hope to see them this week, can't wait to try them out

Dimple Dies

appliance_racer
appliance_racer Reader
2/12/18 7:02 p.m.

Not only is it a flared flare, but it’s a box flared flare. That means automatic admission to the box flares make everything awesome thread. 

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
2/13/18 5:45 a.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

Thanks for the link.  They look like a great deal.

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 HalfDork
2/13/18 8:14 a.m.

We used the mesh stuff from home depot when we did something similar on our lemons car.

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
2/14/18 6:16 a.m.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Some of this perforated sheet is coming today:

...and I'll be putting it behind this trim cap I made last night.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
2/14/18 8:42 a.m.

I want to use some of that stuff for a grill on something. 

That E36 M3 gets expensive in the heavier gauges and larger hole sizes though. 

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
2/16/18 7:43 a.m.

Looking a little less hack and little more legit now.

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
2/19/18 6:52 a.m.

More work done on the truck this weekend.  A canceled autocross test and tune day let me tear into the truck a little more.

Started it off by finishing the welding on the box flares.

I did another full suspension compression clearance check and just wasn't satisfied with the clearances around the original flares.  The tube and frame work is all good, but it's been quite tough to fit these 335 tires and still keep "fenders".

I ended up cutting off both of the original trailer fender flares and I'll be starting over on repositioning them.  

These poor OEM fenders.....

I also did some reinforcement work on the upper suspension towers & frame rails.  I had taken a video this past summer of the front chassis on course and one of you guys noticed a lot of the frame rail flex.  I hope this additional tube work cure it.  I'l  have to take another post video and see.

all painted up.....

I went ahead and replaced the hydraulic steering system with a manual rack.  I needed the space where the pump sat to run my framework.  The manual rack will soon get an electric assist steering column.  I'm excited to not have anymore power steering leaks.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
2/19/18 10:54 a.m.

this thread gets more awesome everytime i open it. can't wait to see this thing finished

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM Reader
2/20/18 6:10 a.m.

In reply to MazdaFace :

Thanks  Me too!

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Mn0uAQCivoM3wpU5A7mEf64nkInPshywqFC8SsUhXGOQy9rmQbKQKgMWC7TGP3vv