jddeadfuelpumps
jddeadfuelpumps New Reader
10/1/13 11:17 a.m.

My dd-a 4dr 95 civic with a b18b1 swap.the car started falling on its face at low/mid rpms,and vibrated so bad that i couldnt bear pushing it further.a motor mount was shot,so i relaxed that,the distributor cap looked good,so i left it for now,and gave it new plugs and wires just on gp.my tps gives a good signal up to 3volts,then reads OL the rest of the way.there is no cel,and now the car wont even start.im gonna get a new tps,but is this no-start condition normal for what ive found?i would love some learned advice.thanks

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine HalfDork
10/1/13 12:09 p.m.

Dizzy bad?

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/1/13 12:18 p.m.

All diagnosis is going to come after figuring out the no start. Do you have spark? Do you have fuel? My guess is that spark is gone but you need to verify before continuing

solfly
solfly New Reader
10/1/13 3:21 p.m.

ck timing/timing belt

jddeadfuelpumps
10/1/13 6:11 p.m.

I do have fuel and spark,but im unsure about timing.thanks yall

jddeadfuelpumps
10/8/13 9:46 a.m.

Im a bit of a web noob-does “dizzy“ mean distributor rotor?Im putting the throttle body cleaned with a new tps on today.

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine HalfDork
10/8/13 11:25 a.m.

Dizzy is just distributor. The whole thing. Not really a web thing....

jddeadfuelpumps
10/9/13 12:13 p.m.

Figured-guess im sheltered.thanx

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/9/13 12:20 p.m.

You have fuel (full pressure?). You have spark (pale yellow or nice and blue/purple?). Did you check the cam and crank timing as suggested? What did you find?

jddeadfuelpumps
10/18/13 10:44 a.m.

I didnt just change the tps,but also took the throttle body off and cleaned like crazy.After reassembly,an o-ring that belongs to a module(dont know wahr its called)on the underside of throttle body that runs coolant to the idle air module grew,and now coolant leaks under the throttle body on the right side.Honda wont sell the o-ring,just the module for $100.Im gonna make try to just to just make it work with some sticky gasket maker stuff.And in hindsight,yes,the spark looked weak.And yes I have fuel.Thanx yall

06HHR
06HHR Reader
10/18/13 11:02 a.m.

Just out of left field, have you checked your signal to the injectors or the injectors themselves? You could have an injector or 3 gone bad. See if you can rent a noid light set from your local advance o zone, or maybe find a known good set of injectors to swap in.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
10/18/13 11:04 a.m.

Hmmm, I cant offer much help. I got 99 problems but a b18 aint one

jddeadfuelpumps
10/18/13 1:42 p.m.

Nally Honda invoice says my leaky part is a “FAS VALVE“.$99.80.Theyll sell me all the o-rings that are fine,but the one that warped when air touched it is not for sale.What luck.I will gradually work my way through all this,though,and the advice and ideas Ive gotten here have not fallen on deaf ears.thanks,JD

jddeadfuelpumps
10/27/13 1:15 p.m.

Made my own gasket for FAS Valve,and its not leaking.Put it all back on yesterday,need to adjust some stuff back to normal,see if its ok.If not,start checking timing,fuel pressure,injectors,and no matter what,replace distributor.

jddeadfuelpumps
10/28/13 9:19 a.m.

Tps ist in and adjusted well.new cap gives decent spark,but no matter where its adjusted,the car wont start.the plugs are new,they smell of gas,but they are dark with oil.i have a vaccum/pressure gauge that measures alot more hg than pressure-only 10 psi.i need to check compression,but i lack the tool(i think),gotta look around.need a timing light,and need to teach myself 2 use it.i tell my Cars“i love you,i hate you,i love you,i hate you......“Why does my e30 seem so much easier to me?Its only 5 years older?

jddeadfuelpumps
11/3/13 12:07 p.m.

Should any oil even a small amount,be leaking out of the bottom of the dist rotor?

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine HalfDork
11/3/13 12:35 p.m.

No. Oil out of rotor means time for new dizzy. If its just leaking at the base ny the head it needs an oring

jddeadfuelpumps
11/4/13 7:57 a.m.

Thank you so much!!!

jddeadfuelpumps
1/10/14 12:01 p.m.

In reply to jddeadfuelpumps:

Car's been running great for a while now. In the interim, the switch which keeps the brake lights off broke. So my brake lights were always on.And when I say the switch, I mean the little, plastic, switch. The module was fine. So I JBwelded a screw of just the right length and diameter so that when no pressure is on the pedal, no lights, but when any pressure at all is placed on the pedal,the lights come on. And there's room stomp on the pedal without hurting a thing. And after fixing all that odd running stuff, it was great for a day, then an obvious vacuum leak appeared. Weird. At least it was easy.

beans
beans HalfDork
1/10/14 1:16 p.m.

That switch should be about $15 at most from rock auto. Kind of a bear to replace because of it's position, but not too bad.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
1/10/14 7:50 p.m.

I think it was a couple of bucks at a local Honda/Acura specialty shop … slip it in place and mash the brake pedal … that will seat it for you

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7jPRH0GkhjIEytxBhGlPoFtnZb9xcLPOahuxvhinQPE2hXFWsSn2PBKqMrG25MYY