1 ... 4 5 6
RallyCaddy
RallyCaddy New Reader
12/27/19 12:41 p.m.

Manual steering as stated. I have had the problem you described in my Celica at AX as the pump volume could not keep up with a really long slalom. In a light RX car with all that slip and tire spin (FWD) effort is not as noticeable but large quick adjustments are required. If you ever watch WRC you wee them making 1/2 turn of the wheel adjustments like sawing on the wheel very rapidly. AX and RR racers think that is bad as smaller inputs make for less wheel scrub and loss of speed. This works when you have grippy tires and pavement. In dirt, the car will even respond to those small tweaks. It takes much more input just to get the car to respond on dirt/gravel and that is where this becomes a huge help. Coming out of a turn with oversteer and into another feature, you have to unwind very fast to avoid the dreaded pendulum effect. I suppose that drifters know just what I mean.

artur1808
artur1808 Reader
12/27/19 2:04 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Pete, what ratio quickener do you have? I've been considering adding a quickener to my unassisted steering and I'm not sure whether to play it safe at 1.5:1 or go all in at 2:1.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
12/27/19 2:30 p.m.
RallyCaddy
RallyCaddy New Reader
12/30/19 7:52 a.m.

Body flex issues. The roof latches were always failing. Even wiring them in place did not work. While on the lift, I noticed that the right door opens easy but on the ground it requires a hard yank. Sure enough, the right frame rail is weak from rust. That's where the battery used to sit and I also found cracking in the door opening at the back. So the firewall and rear suspension areas are causing the body to flex. The cure? Braces of course. The removal of the trunk floor didn't help things so a strut bar was needed. Simple but it should do a lot of good. Top of shock ro top of shock.

Next the door openings. I added a bar from the seat belt shoulder mounting point down to the sill with an added plate.

Both sides of course. I could not go further forward with the base or else it would be super hard to get into the car at all.

Some bed liner for protection and it's done. I still have to replace the radiator and add splash shrouds but that should be the final detail.

RallyCaddy
RallyCaddy New Reader
12/30/19 11:25 a.m.

In case you came here to see the dualies and figured they were just rolled up against another wheel set, well no. They are real and bolted together.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
12/30/19 5:10 p.m.

I would qualify those as wheel spacers laugh

Really, I do like that they are able to be removed and installed as a one piece assembly.  If you are serious about running them, I can see someone protesting due to the wheels not being covered by the fenders.  I am not near the rulebook right now but IIRC there's something in there about an attempt must be made to enclose the tires.

Gingerbeardman
Gingerbeardman Reader
1/5/20 3:46 p.m.
RallyCaddy said:

Can you share what brand that steering quickener is?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau SuperDork
1/5/20 4:42 p.m.

This is an incredible build and I've been following along for a while. I just realized you were at the Atlanta rallycross at AMS this past Fall. I was also there, but at the autocross instead on the same day. This year I'm switching over to the dirty side. If you plan to run more at AMS this year (and if they continue there), I'll look forward to meeting you and seeing the Porscharu in person!

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
1/5/20 5:40 p.m.

Can you share what brand that steering quickener is?

I am going to say speedway. They usually anodize purp like that 

RallyCaddy
RallyCaddy New Reader
1/7/20 11:09 a.m.

I was out for a couple days so thus the delay.

Yes, that is a Speedway brand quickener. I have used several of these with no failures so it's a good unit.

As for the Atlanta RX program, I do plan to get over there this year at least once. Maybe more. Just waiting for the 2020 schedule from Christian to be posted up. Either this car or the CRX may appear. It depends on what is working best that weekend. Hope to see may there. We MAY do the Dixie 2 day event there this year if we can pull it off. Otherwise it has to be in FL at StLucie.

RallyCaddy
RallyCaddy New Reader
1/31/20 2:28 p.m.

Porsharu update. A few more minor mods have been done. A support for the scoop so the decklid is more solid, a new Griffin radiator and a splash shroud for the radiator to prevent getting mud in it again.

It's ready for season 2. 1st race in Florida on Feb 22nd. Lets see if it survives the whole event.

1 ... 4 5 6
Our Preferred Partners
VM4O2KaGVSO0JxIAavPfYB5EXSfCFf9mjLGTvgX87ajSKTbv5ryalgZaGivKSGJw