1 2 3 4
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy SuperDork
4/25/18 9:18 p.m.

In typical GRM fashion I'm starting the build thread before I pick up the car.  It's a 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT listed here in the $2018 classifieds for the exact sum of $100.

4/25/18 9:22 p.m.

Linky to ad

Forum Member WhiteAndGold listed it as:

" This car was supposed to be going to the Detroit Gambler 500 this weekend but it decided it has other plans. Overheated in a big way yesterday, I'm not sure what went out but based on my poking around and some research it seems like the water pump nuked itself. There are some not so nice sounds coming from the engine now as well, not really sure what they're from. Selling as is since the repairs necessary are out of my scope (2 days till I leave for Detroit and I have no driveway or garage to work) so I'm hoping someone else here can give this car the 3800 supercharged challenge glory it deserves. The engine cradle is quite rusty but overall the chassis is in decent shape. It's got the Muncie 4 speed manual trans so all you need is a better engine and you're golden. I'm located in Lafayette, Indiana and need to sell before the local PD realizes I've got an inoperative car on the road, hence the low price. Happy to lose a couple bucks on it if it can get the challenge glory it deserves!"

Here's the selling pics of the car in all it's groody (cough) I mean glory:

4/25/18 9:28 p.m.

The plan is to tentatively pick it up tomorrow after work.  I'm not sure the exact plans for the car.

First thoughts are for challenge glory, but when I asked my kids if they wanted to see "what a $100 car looks like?", and showed them the pics, my daughter says, hey "Micro Man" (name changed to protect the innocent) you could buy that.  The seed has been planted.  He now thinks it's going to be his first car;  He's eight.  We'll see, hopefully the tin worm hasn't been too rough on the old Fiero, but hey, it's $100.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/25/18 9:32 p.m.

I see potential. I also see a very crooked drivers door and I wonder why. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/25/18 10:01 p.m.

Oh I'm so glad someone I like got it. Rumor is a homemade adapter plate will let a Saturn LLO bolt up. 

4/25/18 10:06 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I see potential. I also see a very crooked drivers door and I wonder why. 

Hmmm.  I hadn't noticed the door until you pointed it out. Maybe I could just park it at your place for a few days wink

4/25/18 10:08 p.m.
Stampie said:

Oh I'm so glad someone I like got it.....

Stop it. You're making me blush.

4/25/18 10:12 p.m.
Stampie said:

..... Rumor is a homemade adapter plate will let a Saturn LLO bolt up. 

It just so happens that the TR4 in the garage currently has a 2.8 sitting it, so that's the easier button. Plus, you know the TR needs a bigger (V8) engine.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/25/18 10:17 p.m.
Stampie said:

Rumor is a homemade adapter plate will let a Saturn LLO bolt up. 

Hrmmm, I was thinking Ecotec would be a good fit.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/18 5:41 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Barely Functional-Guy :

I’m glad I didn’t see this ad. I have good friends in Lafayette, and from the pics one may actually live on that street...

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
4/26/18 8:02 a.m.

This is Great, IF you want I have access to a frame cradle and most of what ever else you may Need. Most Fiero People are very Generous and if a Member of Georgia Fiero Club one of the Pirks is a Barn full of Fiero Parts For Members. Free.  If I use any parts from "The Barn" I will Claim the 25.00 Member Fee on the Challenge Budget Sheet. 

4/26/18 8:30 a.m.

In reply to GTXVette :

Outstanding. Let me get this home and evaluate what all is needed, but yeah, put that engine cradle aside for me.

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
4/26/18 11:15 a.m.

Outstanding job on picking this up.

From the bumper sticker, I'm dying to know what "your pretty face is going to" do?

8valve
8valve Reader
4/26/18 11:18 a.m.

Man I paid more than that for a set of those wheels.  Excellent score.

BTW I'd do it again if you're selling those..

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/26/18 12:04 p.m.

SBC has been done before and would likely be pretty damn cool

4/26/18 12:25 p.m.
Antihero said:

SBC has been done before and would likely be pretty damn cool

Oh! I have a SBC sitting in my dad's old farm truck here too.... I forgot all the about that.  Need some more information. And I've got decisions to make.

FieroReinke
FieroReinke New Reader
4/26/18 12:29 p.m.

The sagging door is a common fiero problem.  the door hinge pin bushings wear out and then the holes start to wear.  they make repair kits.  I used the S-10 kits on my fiero.  

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
4/26/18 12:40 p.m.

I've done a SB before,    KISS,     Get it running and see what else it needs. It may need more than you want to mess with, but hey it was running kinda. Staying within the MFG's parts is smart and a newer v-6 is really perfect. that MURDER FIERO is over the Top with a Mitsu  and they spent a bunch of money on it. A gen II 3800 Supercharge W/Nitrous is Killing them on the Street.  I think my next one will be the Northstar v8 with a 4t65 trans and some snail sauce the trans is strong and 100 pounds lighter than an 80 that comes with the N* the Engine is pretty light too, and you start with 300 horse without Turbos.  But fix what is there then wonder about the rest.

Dave
Dave Reader
4/26/18 1:08 p.m.

Heck of a buy for a $100. Nicely done.

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
4/26/18 2:56 p.m.

.........Cadillac Northstar.......

https://westcoastfiero.com/p/engine-conversion-info

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/26/18 3:07 p.m.
paranoid_android said:

Outstanding job on picking this up.

From the bumper sticker, I'm dying to know what "your pretty face is going to" do?

4/26/18 3:18 p.m.

Will the world's sketchiest trailer transport this car ????

Stay tuned.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/26/18 3:51 p.m.

Nice score.  Make it happen.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/26/18 4:38 p.m.
FieroReinke said:

The sagging door is a common fiero problem.  the door hinge pin bushings wear out and then the holes start to wear.  they make repair kits.  I used the S-10 kits on my fiero.  

Same with my ranger actually

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
4/26/18 5:11 p.m.

the only thing about the trailer is the same as mine, can't open doors.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I7aiTOv3ufxh2MocxjbWj60DT57SsJFpHeMRxJeGBhTlS9Tu4jZkImXp8Yes738A