1 2 3 4
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy SuperDork
5/1/18 6:14 p.m.

Tonight I found out what that weird piece is.

Notice anything odd in this picture?

Did you see it yet?

?

Well, I got such a good deal on this car because it overheated. Now, I'm not sure which one is the cause and which one is the effect, but there's no needle on the temperature gauge.

So either it got SO Hot it broke the needle off, or the needle was already broken off, and therefore WhiteAndGold wouldn't have known it was getting hot. Either way, I'm in need of a new gauge.

barefootskater
barefootskater Reader
5/1/18 6:15 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Barely Functional-Guy :

Pretty sure that is a needle for a boost gauge. If it's not it should be.

5/1/18 7:16 p.m.

This car was supposed to go on the Gambler 500 but WhiteAndGold went in A Vanagon with his buddies instead. He left some cool team swag with me. Like I said, I don't do bumper stickers, but on the rear window, this thing is good for an additional 5hp.

Click that link up above for his write up of the trip.

5/1/18 8:11 p.m.

What is this that has rusted away to nothing. Passenger side.

WhiteAndGold
WhiteAndGold New Reader
5/2/18 9:46 a.m.
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy said:

So either it got SO Hot it broke the needle off, or the needle was already broken off, and therefore WhiteAndGold wouldn't have known it was getting hot. Either way, I'm in need of a new gauge.

Yep that temp gauge was busted when I got it, the idiot light still works though! Well it works in that once I was spewing steam everywhere and was fully berked it lit up. Would have been legendary if it got so hot the needle busted off though, LOL!

5/2/18 9:13 p.m.

Battery has been holding a charge and started the car several times since being on the charger over night. So WhiteAndGold must have just left something on. Dome light?

Surprisingly, the engine sounds like it's not hurt from the overheating. I got it into the garage last night.

Pulled the right rear wheel and was surprised by a pretty good looking aluminum caliper that looks like its in good shape.  I had no idea these had aluminum calipers. Quite sporty for the mid eighties.

5/2/18 9:16 p.m.

Discovered that rusted out bit used to be the lower engine mount. Notice where the crank pulley has worn a groove in the sub-frame: (rusty streak)

5/2/18 9:18 p.m.

Inspection seems to confirm that water/coolant is leaking from the water pump pulley snout. So that's where I'll start with a new water pump.

5/9/18 4:31 p.m.

This arrived today:

5/9/18 6:51 p.m.

Got the wheel liner off. And if you look closely, you'll see a win-win tip of the day.

Put the wheel under the car. It acts as an extra safety measure and stores it out of the way while you work.

5/9/18 7:02 p.m.

I've got some help tonight too.

5/9/18 9:16 p.m.

The AC didn't work and wasn't charged, so, I went ahead and amputated the compressor and brackets. Less weight on the rear of the car.

5/9/18 9:18 p.m.

$100 cars don't have air conditioning.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/9/18 10:31 p.m.
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy said:

$100 cars don't have air conditioning.

No, cars that cool don't need air conditioning. 

5/10/18 8:25 p.m.

It took a lot longer to extract the compressor than I anticipated last night, so now I'm actually going after the water pump. (The compressor was kind of in the way, so that's why I justified it to myself)

5/10/18 9:55 p.m.

It put up a good fight, but I won. It's out. 

There is indeed a LOT of play in the shaft. 100% that's where the leak was coming from.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/10/18 10:14 p.m.

And ... it's in with the celebratory burnout?

WhiteAndGold
WhiteAndGold New Reader
5/11/18 7:36 a.m.

Glad to see my optimistic diagnosis was correct, hopefully it will be ready to rock now! 

5/11/18 7:53 a.m.
WhiteAndGold said:

Glad to see my optimistic diagnosis was correct, hopefully it will be ready to rock now! 

Well, I can reassure you that you made the right decision to dump this junk. It's been a total pain in the ass to get the pump out. And that's with the car in my garage and fairly well lit up. It would be tortuous to attempt this with the car parked on the side of the road.

In reply to Stampie: Not yet. Gotta get the 32 year old gasket crap scrapped off the engine first. There's almost no room.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
5/12/18 4:06 p.m.

A shotgun should do it.  Use the smallest pellet size you can find and wear safety glasses.

I can tell by your tone that you're getting just about frustrated enough to try ;)

5/12/18 5:35 p.m.

Needed some HELP with the gasket removal.

Cramped my hand several times, but finally have triumphed over this junk.

Filled it up with 50/50, and took it for a quick test 2 mile drive. It may or may not have included a turning one tire fire. wink

Pulled in the driveway, and it's puking out of the engine pressure cap.

I'm going to make it sit in time out over night. I instructed it to think about what it's done wrong.

5/13/18 6:26 p.m.

Well after spending the night in time out cooling off, it turns out he really wanted to be burped, and that was the problem.

Apparently Fieros have a specific process to getting the air out of the cooling system. Who knew?!  Anyways, after following the procedure, I took him back out and may have left a few short 11's wink. Came home and ALL the coolant was Still in the system. I guess now I can move on to getting a temp gauge and some deep cleaning.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/18 7:38 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Barely Functional-Guy :

Awesome!!!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
5/13/18 7:47 p.m.

I'm happy for you, Micro Man, and the Fiero that it wasn't a $30 gasket!  (wink, wink)

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
5/13/18 7:51 p.m.

Fix the motor mount?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BOUA5jQsDm5AC1kzxmaCi2k4Hp617KjJzFwrgABRDqpuKy2zk2LC3xWxH7J22vp0