1 2 3 4
Saron81
Saron81 Reader
3/16/20 9:00 a.m.

A thread to document my progress on the buggy I recently picked up. It's a 1970 Beetle chassis. 

It had been sitting for several years, so to start, a fuel and brake system overhaul are in order. I'm digging how cheap air cooled parts are! 

Started by draining the tank. Someone had put a nifty drain valve in the line right off the tank! 
broke it open with a pair of pliers, and proceeded to drain 2-3 gallons of Amber colored stinky fuel. When I went to close the tap after draining it... I couldn't get it back together. I'm assuming it wasn't supposed to come all the way out? Anyways, just removed it all together. It served its purpose.

Moving to the rear, I removed the fuel pump:

Carburetor (pic28) 

and crusty filter

In preparation for new parts. They're all so tiny! My 450 ATV had a bigger carb (and made more power, lol.)

Next I turned my attention to the ignition system. 
Installed and set new points (been a while!) and put on a new rotor. Put in new plugs. 

Went to install the condenser, and noticed it was different. After running the engine number, it appears this is actually a 61-65 40hp 1200 instead of the single port 1600 the chassis would've come with (sad trombone.) 

Oh well... at least all the other parts fit.

Also redoing the brakes before I hit the road with it. All new parts are in order. The master cylinder I have coming is going to be wrong though... ordered it for the chassis, and it appears this one has an earlier single circuit master cylinder in it. I assume for space reasons. I'll see how much work it'd be to get the dual circuit one to work with remote reservoirs.

Removed the wheel adapters (VW 4 bolt to GM 5 bolt) to remove the drums, and snapped one stud, and bent 2 more. D'oh! 

I also looked at some electrical... none of the lights work except the brake lights. Traced it to a bad headlight switch. It has power going in, but nothing out. If I jump it, all the lights work. So, one more thing to order!

Called it a day after that. Just waiting on parts now... 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/20 9:08 a.m.

Cool!

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/16/20 9:36 a.m.

Way into these. Once I have more space I wanna find one. 

vwfreek
vwfreek Reader
3/16/20 3:09 p.m.
Saron81 said:

Moving to the rear, I removed the fuel pump:

You can get rebuild kits for that fuel pump. It's pretty easy, I've done a couple. And it will probably last longer than the new ones available.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
3/16/20 3:22 p.m.

Post a picture of where the manifold mounts to the head ,  then I can tell you if its a 1200 or larger

the master is from a  pre-1966 VW bus , the 1970 one will be dual circuit and safer...... 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/20 4:18 p.m.

If it is indeed a 1200, that motor is actually worth more than the 1600 you were hoping for.

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
3/16/20 6:54 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Post a picture of where the manifold mounts to the head ,  then I can tell you if its a 1200 or larger

the master is from a  pre-1966 VW bus , the 1970 one will be dual circuit and safer...... 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
3/16/20 10:09 p.m.

40 hp , 77 mm pistons unless it has the 83mm big bore kit in it.....

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/20 10:15 p.m.

40 hp , 77 mm pistons unless it has the 83mm big bore kit in it.....

Please teach me how you were able to determine that.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
3/16/20 11:49 p.m.

The manifold is flat where it bolts to the head,

On a single port 1300-1500-1600 the manifold tubing is larger , it goes in the intake port at an angle ,  and the end of the intake manifold is 2 pieces , the tube itself and the hold down "clamp" that has 2 opposing  holes for the studs to go thru.....

They both use 10mm bolts with 6 mm thread......

The End

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
3/17/20 7:06 a.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

Thanks! 
Still super new to air cooled, and appreciate the info. 

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
3/17/20 11:45 a.m.

Started digging into the brakes last night... found this in the first drum I removed. Thankfully the inhabitants are long gone, lol. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
3/17/20 12:49 p.m.

Clean it up , save the brake shoes , just sand them , the material is so much better than what you get today, 

check the rubber hoses and make sure they are not cracked , 

check the line from the master cylinder to the back brakes , just make sure its not rusted out , 

Get the VW "idiots" book , its a fun read  and will teach you about VWs......

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/20 3:17 p.m.

I have slightly over a dozen vw engines in various states of disassembly if you end up needing parts.  

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/20 4:12 p.m.

I'd be careful sanding brake shoes that might be old enough to have asbestos in them.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/17/20 7:06 p.m.

Get the VW "idiots" book , its a fun read  and will teach you about VWs......

+1. The best , most informative manual ever written. One of the greatest books ever written, IMHO

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
3/18/20 8:20 a.m.

Thanks for the advice guys. 
Have new shoes, so I'm going to use them. Started on the brakes last night... will update tonight with pics. 
I bought this book, but will order the idiots manual too! 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
3/18/20 10:10 a.m.

Definitely try and get the dual master to fit if you can. Also while you are in there add a brake bias valve you will need it in a buggy. 

That thing looks really clean. Just rebuild the pump and get a kit that works with ETOH gas just in case. The gaskets seem better in those. 

Cannot tell if that is a 009 distributor or not but I find them to be 100% total junk. Find a OEM one and have it rebuilt it will run way better. 

ALSO I am highly jelly of the condition of this thing. Not sure what you paid but that is a clean buggy and I love it. 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/18/20 10:47 a.m.

Now you got me hunting for one. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/18/20 10:49 a.m.
BoxheadTim said:

I'd be careful sanding brake shoes that might be old enough to have asbestos in them.

QFT

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
3/18/20 12:58 p.m.

The book you have is very good , its a copy of the VW factory manual , 

the Idiot book is just more "fun" telling you ways to do things without a full shop and on the side of the road !

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
3/18/20 9:05 p.m.

Took the brakes down completely, and repainted the backing plates. The adjusters were all frozen. New wheel cylinders and brake hoses installed.

Made this to clean out the adjuster bores. A Harbor Freight wire wheel bit trimmed up to fit in the holes:

Worked well!

All new shoes and hardware. Adjusters cleaned and lubed. New bearings and seals installed in new drums.

And all bolted back together with wheel adapters. 

New tires installed:

Front all done!

Also finished up the ignition system:

Waiting on fuel system parts now.

Rear brakes are next...

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
3/18/20 9:57 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Cannot tell if that is a 009 distributor or not but I find them to be 100% total junk. Find a OEM one and have it rebuilt it will run way better.

After trying a few different dizzys on my 1600, then 1641, I found that the 009 always worked. The 034 and 010 seem to be well loved by the community but seemed to require more fiddling in my experience.

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
3/21/20 4:49 p.m.

It is a 009. I'll see how it runs, but appreciate the input! 

I finished the rear brakes, same as the front. Put it down on the wheels... bled the brakes several times, but can not get a pedal. It's dry everywhere, so I'm assuming master cylinder. I want to put the dual circuit one on, but that's a much easier project when the body's off, so I'll probably save that for this winter. I'll order what's on there to get back on the road ASAP. 
I did get my tags this week!

I did get my new carb too. Put it on, and it started almost instantly right out of the box. 
I'll fine tune it when I can actually drive it. I was really hoping that was going to be this weekend, but it's not to be.... 

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
3/24/20 7:21 p.m.

Got the new master cylinder today, and installed it after work. 

First test drive!!!!!! 
Took both daughters out for a ride around the neighborhood. Needs some small adjustments, but it's so cool! 
Picture by my 11 year old: :) 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5ldRQZSQi96jLHvFT0xNZBehwGXznxYgN5NWg4x0ZHMiCgl0uFEtA7v6EpoudOLv