1 2 3 4 ... 6
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/8/12 11:53 p.m.
petegossett wrote: Honestly though, I want to make this car "nice", and the look/sound of a pair of webers would be hard to beat. The other option is an ITB injection setup, which can be done, but then there's the fuel pressure issue, and replumbing the stock tanks, etc. It certainly can/has been done, but it's not really documented. OTOH the correct Weber jet size for the Zetec is documented, as well as the plumbing and wiring.

Apropos nothing, you know that you can get ITBs that look like sidedraft Webers and fit regular Weber manifolds? Of course I currently can't remember who makes them as that would probably be a little too helpful.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/9/12 6:03 a.m.

Yes Tim I've seen those. Beautiful, but not cheap, even compared to a ~$700 pair of new Webers.

The Zetec Weber manifolds are pretty common and readily available, maybe there's a GRM solution to adapt some bike ITBs to it? I haven't ventured down that path though.

RossD
RossD UberDork
9/10/12 11:04 a.m.

I use to have the .dwg files for both the intake and manifold flanges. I can look around to find them if you're interested.

My thought was to find someone to waterjet them out and use a DIY V8 exhaust header kit from summit/jegs to make both the intake and exhaust manifolds.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/10/12 2:19 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote:
petegossett wrote: Honestly though, I want to make this car "nice", and the look/sound of a pair of webers would be hard to beat. The other option is an ITB injection setup, which can be done, but then there's the fuel pressure issue, and replumbing the stock tanks, etc. It certainly can/has been done, but it's not really documented. OTOH the correct Weber jet size for the Zetec is documented, as well as the plumbing and wiring.
Apropos nothing, you know that you can get ITBs that look like sidedraft Webers and fit regular Weber manifolds? Of course I currently can't remember who makes them as that would probably be a little too helpful.

TWM-Induction makes some, as does Jenvey and Extrabody, I think Pierce Manifolds sells some (may be Jenvey's, not sure). I have a set TWM's on my 924. Work great so far, but they aren't cheap (got them cheap on eBay as they were listed incorrectly)

Personally? I'd make a set of Weber-style flanges with tubular stubs and mount a set of Bike ITBs to that. A friend had someone make an intake manifold for his Bike ITB's from CF. Looks pretty nice and was cheap as it was a friend of a friend kinda deal.

petegossett
9/10/12 7:25 p.m.

Hmm...CF is interesting. I'd need to find(or find someone with) a vacuum large enough for it.

turboswede
9/11/12 11:55 p.m.

Send CorsePerVita a message here and he might put you in touch with his buddy who did the work for him.

Build thread:

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=26989

petegossett
9/12/12 5:52 a.m.

Well, the problem of an intake manifold is solved - I just scored a Zetec Weber intake off eBay for 1/2-of new price.

That's some beautiful CF work though, and I'll keep a mental note for future reference!

petegossett
9/15/12 12:06 p.m.

My first "real" work on the cars today. I took the skanky type-352 gearbox, which the PO had already removed from the '73, to the car wash today in a feeble attempt to get it clean. It's certainly better than it was, but I still have quite a bit of manual cleaning to do.

Before:

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

And after:

So, what is the best and/or easiest way to get a grimy aluminium transmission clean?

Winston
Winston Reader
9/15/12 12:13 p.m.

Besides steam, Simple Green/Dawn and scrub brushes.

petegossett
9/15/12 1:23 p.m.

Is there a particular kind of brush that works better? I grabbed one stiff nylon-bristle brush, and another that had brass bristles. Neither seemed to work particularly well.

Winston
Winston Reader
9/15/12 3:23 p.m.

I used a steel-bristle brush, but then again I didn't care about scratching the aluminum. When the oil really dries/bakes on, a flathead screwdriver is sometimes needed to scrape the big stuff off.

petegossett
9/15/12 6:03 p.m.

Well, the good thing about having kids, is sometimes you can get some free labor out of them! This is what she gets for telling me "I'm bored."

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
9/18/12 8:53 a.m.

I bought some aluminum cleaner in a spray bottle at the local NAPA store that works pretty well on that sort of thing. It's pretty nasty stuff, you'll need rubber gloves, goggles and ventilation. I think Eagle One sells an aluminum wheel cleaner that's similar, you want the type that's designed for raw aluminum wheels and is not safe for clear coat.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/18/12 9:24 a.m.

Oven Cleaner works too providing you don't have paint you don't want to remove.

turboswede
9/18/12 11:42 a.m.

STP Purple Power cleaner and pressure washer.

Lots of various stiff brushes (brass)

The foamy engine cleaner stuff works pretty well as well.

petegossett
9/18/12 7:02 p.m.

I picked up a few cans of brakleen as well as a small pack of assorted wire brushes, and it's working pretty well so far. I'm not sure if the 4-cans I bought will do it, but I think this, followed by purple power, etc. will get it where I want it.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/12 7:08 p.m.

Don't let your daughter use the Brakleen. Nasty stuff.

petegossett
9/18/12 8:35 p.m.

No worries Woody, I won't, but thanks for the tip. I'm curious though, I knew welding right after using it is a big no-no, but what else is bad about it?

turboswede
9/18/12 11:05 p.m.

It's just nasty stuff, read the can and teach them to use precautions (mask, etc)

petegossett
9/19/12 6:08 p.m.

Got my Weber Zetec intake today!

Now I just need to score a good deal on some 5-progression-hole 45DCOEs! Oh uh, yeah, and a Zetec to put them on...

RossD
RossD UberDork
9/20/12 2:22 p.m.
petegossett wrote: [...] Oh uh, yeah, and a Zetec to put them on...

What's that now?? PM me an offer, I kind of want it out of my garage.

petegossett
9/28/12 5:46 p.m.

I got the windshield in today. It was in some...err, um...interesting packing. At least this one isn't broken. I'd hoped to keep it unbroken by leaving it in the shipping crate until I was ready for it, but that's not going to happen. So it looks like I need a way to re-crate it for storage.

I also put together a spreadsheet last night, using Andy Hollis' calculations for autocross performance, only applied to XP and comparing the Europa, Exige S, and Z06. There's quite a bit of guesstimates, and I'm sure some errors, but it actually looks pretty favorable. The document is here, if the link works.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/12 5:50 p.m.
petegossett wrote: No worries Woody, I won't, but thanks for the tip. I'm curious though, I knew welding right after using it is a big no-no, but what else is bad about it?

It goes right through Nitrile gloves. Immediately.

Also, it's probably not great for people who might give birth someday.

petegossett
9/29/12 6:31 p.m.

So I'm finding some grassroots ITB inspiration here.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
9/29/12 9:25 p.m.

Some more inspiration - a guy over on the HAMB board built his own injector system from scratch:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3885940

There are several threads in this list, look for the ones from board member Jethro describing his Hillbillyborn injectors.

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7ZiX60GKMGwYrRIPLRxeUd06QtMMfT0GsqvDrNZogdjYCmh2qKDIxHuk3aP0bCe6