Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
7/7/17 8:46 p.m.

I was planning to return the 318is to DD status as the Dakota loves fuel (16mpg driving like granny). I was sitting in the garage with two friends last weekend. After a few beers, they decided that we should move the 318is. It was between the Stincoln smelLS and the Volvo.

We pushed the Volvo out of the way and moved the LadyBug! . . . then hilarity ensued. Pushing a car uphill in flip flops in SC summer sun after a few beers is something not recommended

I got up early Sunday and hit up AdvancedZone ReillyBoys and Pull-A-Part for goodies. Yep . . . cheap tires and all!!

Changed all the fluids, added some taller spring rubber in the rear (six cylinder springs means the front sits higher), added the tires, and washed and ozoned the interior.

I am replacing the mechanical fan with a modded Volvo 960 electrical fan, test the AC system, and need to make a front undertray. After the fan and AC test is done . . . she'll be ready for some fuel sipping fun!

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/7/17 8:51 p.m.

A Bertone and a 318is. Nice cars to be pushing around in flip flops.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
7/7/17 10:08 p.m.

The Bertone should be running again in August/September timeframe. I have the fuel pump. My friends assumed I didn't have it. They tried to punk me, but the payback was so worth it They were pissed when I pulled out the parts box.

I have to get a buffer and learn how to restore faded paint. I need that red to be less pink.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/7/17 10:32 p.m.

I don't have flip flops, but if you need a hand you can call or text me...I'm sure I can find some sort of inappropriate footware.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
7/9/17 9:48 p.m.

Not much work today . . . The battery is securely mounted. Finished wiring the Volvo fan and relay. I have to order a lower temp radiator switch and make it all look tidy.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/9/17 10:25 p.m.

The Bertone Volvo is one of my favorite cars of all time.

Beautiful.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
7/22/17 12:44 p.m.

The old girl has an oil leak (not surprised). I believe it's the front crank seal. I have to get her up on the stands and verify.

If it is, I'll replace the oil filter housing gasket and o-ring while I'm in there.

It won't happen this weekend since I don't have the gasket AND I'm replacing the Dakota's clutch slave cylinder that E36 M3 the bed last Friday.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
8/5/17 9:29 p.m.

Front seal and oil filter housing gasket & o-ring replaced.

The temp switch wouldn't get hot enough to kick the fan on. Tested the switch with a ligther and it kicked the fans on. Flush, filled, and bled the coolant. No go. Not sure what the deal is. Instead, I wired it to run low speed at all times and hi speed when the AC is on.

Took her out on the 7 mile test loop and I've forgotten what . . . 138hp feels like . Next up tomorrow (if rain stays away) is new rotors and pads + more cleaning!

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
8/27/17 6:24 p.m.

Took to some back roads and exit ramps today after swapping out a suspect AFM. These cheap tires are pretty good. Definity HP100 (Pepboy's house brand from Cooper) was ~320 OTD. I'll take her to work a few days this week.

Ordered a few more maintenance and interior items (O2 sensor, fuel filter, replacement shifter).

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
10/10/17 8:57 a.m.

After a month of DD duty, the old girl is still getting it. The engine, trans, center bearing, guibo, and exhaust mounts are pretty much done. The next round of parts have been ordered. I also have to do the valve cover gasket (have that on the shelf) as some oil is leaking into the spark plug wells.

After these are installed, I'll start chasing down a vacuum leak (basically replace all the rubber hoses in the engine bay) that appears to be affecting MPG - only seeing ~25mpg where it should be closer to 30.

Then onto the starter and clutch . . .

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MfmNAqxALOXlv2bFgHfCaXXzXscH9b8aMj0jqX7bVqMYSzNsvjUs1v6sOn644SJb