1 2
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/13/18 7:57 a.m.

I get bored in the winter and as I don't have a garage full of airplane this year ....

Saw a Hobie 16 on CList for $80.  I called, yep, it's really $80.  They're remodeling their lake house and need room, and oh yeah, a squirrel ate the main sail.  No worries, I'm making a motorboat anyway!

Took it all apart to get the tramp off and see what's what; also easier to handle a few big pieces.  Plan is to run cross braces left to right and cover with 3/4" plywood and carpet.  I can make up an engine mount, but factoring in the rudder control with the engine movement will have to be done once the engine is mounted.  Coupla chairs up front and a cooler; I  believe a 3.5 - 5hp will scoot is along smartly.

Dan

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
8/13/18 8:03 a.m.

I vote for twin engines, one on each hull.

A pair of 5's would move it along very nicely.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/13/18 8:03 a.m.

Are you running a bimini top or perhaps the more appropriate patio furniture wind up/down umbrella thingy?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/18 8:18 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

I vote for a hang glider - it’ll provide a canopy, plus the lift will keep less of the hull in the water for increased speed. 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/13/18 8:35 a.m.

Will there be twin Flamigo figureheads ?

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/13/18 8:56 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

That's ingenious. Is that a common mod?

I'm also picturing in my mind a cartoon version of the whole thing taking off in a big gust of wind...

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/18 8:58 a.m.

I love everything aboat this.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/13/18 9:24 a.m.

914 do you have your Admiral Pierbumper hat yet?

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/13/18 10:52 a.m.

I had been planning to add an outrigger or extra hull for my canoe so I could run the 2.5 mercury I bought last year. A single hobie hull looks like it would work. 

The project ground to a stop when I bought a miata and started autocrossing it, but I'm going to be picking up momentum again. 

Pete Gossett
8/13/18 10:53 a.m.
Run_Away said:

I'm also picturing in my mind a cartoon version of the whole thing taking off in a big gust of wind...

I’ve only been on the water twice, so I have no idea. Considering it popped into my brain I’m guessing there’s probably very valid reasons it’s not common. 

Floating Doc
8/13/18 11:07 a.m.
Pete Gossett said:
Run_Away said:

I’ve only been on the water twice, so I have no idea. Considering it popped into my brain I’m guessing there’s probably very valid reasons it’s not common. 

Well, there is the matter of how much weight the hulls might be designed to carry. It might run pretty low in the water.

Dan: Have you googled this? You can't be the only person to come up with this idea.

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP Reader
8/13/18 1:40 p.m.

Those of you that are worried this might not float, remember power solves all problems, so with enough power it will work just fine.   Just keep adding more power until it works.....

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/18 1:47 p.m.

I vote electric inboards. Plenty of room for mtors and batteries in the hulls. A couple of solar panels to extend battery life.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/13/18 4:44 p.m.

In the world of this kind of rowing...

...the coaches boat often looks like these...

Sample video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0OSveiJgJU

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/13/18 4:48 p.m.

Here is also someone's detailed account of powering a Hobie

https://www.instructables.com/id/Convert-a-Hobie-Cat-From-Sail-to-Power-Cheap-Ponto/

Im drawn to this one...  

​​​​​​​

Woody
8/13/18 6:15 p.m.

Did that include the trailer for $80?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/18 6:51 p.m.

You've just invented the pontoon boat, the minivan of watercraft. Nobody really wants one but you can't deny their utility.

Floating Doc
8/13/18 7:13 p.m.

I like power catamarans as a concept, but they do have their quirks. Almost all of them lean towards the outside in a turn.

Pete Gossett
8/13/18 7:28 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In the world of this kind of rowing...

...the coaches boat often looks like these...

Sample video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0OSveiJgJU

I picture a rowing coach just blasting Billy Squire’s “The Stroke” at full volume throughout their entire training session. 

Woody
8/13/18 7:30 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

You've just invented the pontoon boat, the minivan of watercraft. Nobody really wants one but you can't deny their utility.

I dismissed them for years as floating patios for old people, but now I admit that they do look like a lot of fun.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/13/18 7:35 p.m.
Floating Doc said:

I like power catamarans as a concept, but they do have their quirks. Almost all of them lean towards the outside in a turn.

The following statement is only making this way more complicated than it should be....at this early stage in the 'build', if one were able to articulate the hulls(leaning.... AWS {all water steer}) relative to the desired direction....would that alleviate the pitch to the outside?

MattGent
MattGent Reader
8/13/18 10:14 p.m.

I got talked into rebuilding a pontoon boat, which I knew was a bad idea.  Various issues, mainly getting legal title, but its been an awesome and versatile little boat.  I even managed to waterski behind it with a 30hp suzuki, and it can do overnight adventure trips with a tent pitched on the deck.  Plus a bunch of days just hanging out on the water drinking and grilling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1WJAOn4pak

http://mattgent.com/riverrovers-i-oklawaha-silver-st-johns/

https://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24678&hilit=pontoon

I've seen a few versions of the Hobie-toon.  Keep it light!  And/or do the tri-hobie-toon.  Or make a center toon, use the "pontoon water glide" approach.  

My little 16x8 toon can support a lot of weight (8 adults?), but the sponsons are way bigger than a Hobie.

coexist
coexist Reader
8/13/18 10:44 p.m.
914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/14/18 6:55 a.m.

Yeah, $80 for everything you see.  Cut up the mast and got $18 at the scrapper.  I thought about no rudders and two electric trolling motors, but what if you find yourself off shore and the battery dies?

Trish is the  Flamingo Fan.  One on the deck is 3ft tall cement guy, ones on the lawn are 1920's vintage cast aluminium.

SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
8/14/18 7:53 a.m.
1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JcNNiLWq59cNl6JZLwxhu8g9OHXiRYPNeecpSBTDtdQVUpRTjtDFQRarIXEbKpeo