1 2 3 4 ... 8
Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi New Reader
12/14/15 2:24 p.m.
dropstep wrote: Good luck, ive worked on my house way more then i would like. Wife still wants me to pull the carpet in the kitchen. Im not sure how people enjoy this.

Carpet in the kitchen???? That is almost as gross as carpet in a bathroom.

I am on year number 2 of my master bathroom renovation....the end is in sight at least!

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
12/14/15 2:27 p.m.
Devilsolsi wrote:
dropstep wrote: Good luck, ive worked on my house way more then i would like. Wife still wants me to pull the carpet in the kitchen. Im not sure how people enjoy this.
Carpet in the kitchen???? That is almost as gross as carpet in a bathroom. I am on year number 2 of my master bathroom renovation....the end is in sight at least!

Both bathrooms and the kitchen were carpeted. Bathrooms had hardwood under the carpet with patches. As much as it looks good im not patching hardwood. My kitchen is fairly large and i really dont want to do it!

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
12/15/15 11:12 a.m.
Devilsolsi wrote:
Carpet in the kitchen???? That is almost as gross as carpet in a bathroom. I am on year number 2 of my master bathroom renovation....the end is in sight at least!

My house the garages were carpeted. And the prior owners had a cleanliness problem. And the big garage had a water incursion / drainage problem. It was thoroughly disgusting.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
12/15/15 11:35 a.m.

The master bath in my house is half carpeted. The master bath is divided with front half having the double sinks that is carpeted and the back half with shower & commode linoleum. Didn't understand it myself but sure is comfy for the feet.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/15/15 12:18 p.m.

Bathroom & kitchen of my parent's house they built is '76 were carpeted - yellow shag in the bathroom(bedrooms, living room, stairs), brown short/patterned carpet in the kitchen. The downstairs carpet was newspaper comics, half of the area was in B&W, the other half in color. An paneling all over...damn I miss that stuff. Drywall is so boring.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/15/15 3:41 p.m.

Ideally this will be a carpet-free house. Can't stand the stuff. Ya'lls stories only reinforced my opinion.

Finally rented the sander. It takes a lot longer than I thought, especially with uneven floors and mismatched patches. Nothing a little wood filler can't fix.

Aaaaand one room done, two to go. 2.5 hours with 37 grit. The store was out of 60 grit drums (2 weeks to restock are berkeleying serious?) so I'm skipping ahead to 80. They say you should do 3 steps ideally, but some get away with 1. SWMBO is finishing the rest while I'm at work. Then we have to rent the heavy duty edge sander. My little hobby Skil sander is NOT enough for this job.

On another note, Menard's is the Harbor Freight of Home Depots. But not in the good way.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
12/15/15 3:44 p.m.

Those doors are beautiful! Also, you're saving yourself about $3 - $5/sf to refinish the floors yourself. (Minus your costs for tool rental and supplies, obviously.)

I've had mostly good luck at Menard's. Some stuff they sell is awful but other stuff is much better than Home Depot's. IE, their Poplar S4S boards are light years beyond Home Depot's warped-ass nasty stuff.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
12/15/15 6:51 p.m.

I put ball valves everywhere - those gate valves get crappy inside and someday they will never close. You did a good job on your copper.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
12/16/15 6:52 a.m.

As someone who fervently wanted hardwoods. I wish I had carpets.

Kids scratch the E36 M3 out of the hardwoods. To the point I'd say dont bother sanding just poly it for now b/c in 5 or 10 years you'll have to resand and recoat anyways if you a. plan on kids. b. have dogs...

Also everytime it gets cold here and the heat dries the house out it starts popping and creaking.

I miss texas and tile floors...

maschinenbau
12/16/15 7:21 a.m.

a. No kids yet

b. We're cat people

Plus we're putting large rugs down anyway. I consider this job half investment into the home's resale value, half reality check for a pair of young naive homeowners with plans as big as the moon. Also this is 2 weeks of possession while working a full time job.

Floors are smooth, level, and gorgeously naked. I finally returned the rental sander, only to pick up the edge sander for Lady Masch to play with while I'm posting on the internet I MEAN working all day. Might stain tomorrow, but we are out of town this weekend so we probably won't get around to it.

I need to post some pics of the heinous wiring in this place. Yeah, there's a brand new 200 amp breaker box and most of it seems to code. Except for the dining room. In the attic is the old fuse box. With barrel fuses. I thought they just chucked it up there when they re-wired the house instead of throwing it away. Nope. Its feeder is wired into the new breaker box. Meaning the old fuse box is live. With rusty decades old barrel fuses controlling the dining room. Which promptly blew out due to the sander. And that explains the work lights hanging in the dining room.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
12/16/15 8:11 a.m.

Looks nice.

maschinenbau
12/16/15 11:10 a.m.

Edge sanding in progress

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/16/15 2:41 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau:

Looks great! Are you staining the floors or just clearing them? I like the lightness.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
12/16/15 3:02 p.m.
Mad_Ratel wrote: As someone who fervently wanted hardwoods. I wish I had carpets.

I think we're going all tile or a combination of tile and laminate for all of these reasons. The bamboo that we put in the upstairs of the garage is showing some wear after a year of only occasional use. My kids would destroy it in very short time in the living room. If I knew then what I know now, I probably would have put racedeck in my living room when we started having kids.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
12/16/15 3:27 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

There's always option C:

I wanted to do hardwood but the dog and baby that would one day draw all over the floors with crayons were around. It's a porcelain tile hardwood look tile with 1/8" light grey grout lines that I got all in the same die size for under $1.80 a square foot on closeout after I had a slab leak that ruined all the carpeting.

I have other pictures with the trim finished but they all contain a small child.

Sorry to hijack your thread maschinenbau, your work looks great.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/16/15 3:34 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: In reply to maschinenbau: Looks great! Are you staining the floors or just clearing them? I like the lightness.

We just had our floors refinished. The original plan was to stain them dark, but, once we saw them in their natural state, we went with a clear. The lightness is awesome!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
12/16/15 3:38 p.m.

In reply to The0retical:

That's the current plan for the living room. Yours looks great.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
12/16/15 8:11 p.m.

In reply to The0retical:

I put that same tile in my rental property after I got tired or replacing carpet every couple years. It looks great, is tough and is easy to clean.

Great job on the house. Can't wait to see the garage.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
12/16/15 8:41 p.m.

Those floors are looking fantastic!

I also have an old house with some of the house on the new breaker box and some still on the old fuse box with screw in and cartridge style fuses. The part of the house that is on the fuse box is all two prong outlets, where as the additions on the house are off the breaker box have three prong outlets.

We discovered that our house is a lot older than it looks. Sometime in the '50s it went from basically a three room farmhouse to a two bedroom brick veneered ranch with a hip roof added on top. They did the brick veneer right after they ran the wiring to add electricity to the house. How can I be so sure of the timing of these events? They ran the wires along the outside of the house, then bricked over with a gap. Yep, drilled holes everywhere the wiring needed to come to an outlet or switch. At least they didn't use aluminum wire.
Welcome to home ownership! Looks like you're off to a great start!

maschinenbau
12/17/15 7:02 a.m.

The plan is to stain them something similar to the trim color, with a little less red/orange hue more of a brown. I like the look of that hardwood tile! Might be a good candidate for the kitchen since it's a high traffic area and would be easier to clean.

We're out of town this weekend, so no work until Monday when we plan to stain while wrapping presents between layers of stain.

RedGT
RedGT Reader
12/17/15 7:37 a.m.

You'll like that. Here's ours, the stain is minwax 'golden oak' but IMO it's way darker than anything 'oak'. Looks very very close to your trim.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
12/17/15 8:31 a.m.
maschinenbau wrote: The plan is to stain them something similar to the trim color, with a little less red/orange hue more of a brown. I like the look of that hardwood tile! Might be a good candidate for the kitchen since it's a high traffic area and would be easier to clean. We're out of town this weekend, so no work until Monday when we plan to stain while wrapping presents between layers of stain.

Definately something other than HW in your kitchen. water/wood not a good combo. Much easier to wash up spilled food with a mop/water than on hardwood to me.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/17/15 9:58 a.m.

I say it to everyone, and no one ever listens, but here goes again. Now that the basement is unframed, you have the opportunity to add a secret room with a bookcase that opens to access it. Come on man, someone needs to do this!

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
12/17/15 11:01 a.m.

In some places, the codes say the garage can't be any larger than the main dwelling unit. Based upon your dimensions, I'd say you live in such an area.

2 years ago we bought a 160 year old farmhouse that came with a half-dozen outbuildings. Most of these now contain cars. The house is about in the same shape as yours. Keep at it! Nice Work!

maschinenbau
12/17/15 11:36 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

One of the bathrooms has a trapdoor to get into the crawlspace, so there's that. I would totally put a secret room in the basement if I planned to finish it. However I DO plan to finish the attic into a master suite ...secret bookcase walk-in closet? Okay fine I'll do it

1 2 3 4 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BXzVbMsWJrUcLeFksEFy6YSBzfYwUVeqHnGizQ4wvZNj7CJ2REcDwCq01bGThQKL