1 2 3
jgrewe
jgrewe Reader
11/12/16 9:12 a.m.

The old adage proven again! The first 80% of the job takes 80% of the time, the last 20% takes the other 80%

Beautiful work!

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
11/26/16 11:36 p.m.

Out of my shop and back home. Still a long road, but no longer my problem!

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
11/27/16 7:47 a.m.

As always, outstanding work! What are the chances of a few more photos as the car continues its journey through the next phase?

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
11/27/16 9:34 a.m.
Doc Brown wrote: As always, outstanding work! What are the chances of a few more photos as the car continues its journey through the next phase?

I think "Inevitable" would be the word. I am sure that the owner will be in contact as he proceeds to get the car re-painted and re-assembled. The order of operations that I left his with:

Car off to sandblaster where it will be done in and out and returend in eopxy primer.

From the sandblaster it will go to the bodyshop for smoothing and painting in white

While at the paintshop, the axles and all the other bits will be getting a clean-up and paint by the owner

Drivetrain is good to go and will only get a paint touch-up

Re-assembly should take about a year if I am guessing.

I have done a bunch of MGBs before this one, so if there is any order of operation that you would like to see, let me know.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
1/23/17 5:26 a.m.

quick update on the project:

Car went to sandblasting and is now back home in a nice coat of epoxy primer.

While my work here is done, I am glad to see that the owner now has a foundation worthy of the money he is going to spend on the restoration.

Having helped about ten people with their ground-up projects so far, this is also the point where I like to do my exit. While final assembly has its rewards, it leaves me on the hook for too many quality variables that are supplier dependent and then haunt me for the next year or two.Tin work is done the day it is done.

Crackers
Crackers Reader
1/23/17 9:58 a.m.

Is it just me, or is that cowl tellimg me to respect it's authoritah?

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
1/23/17 10:00 a.m.
Crackers wrote: Is it just me, or is that cowl tellimg me to respect it's authoritah?

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
8/3/18 12:57 p.m.

Wow, time does fly!

Got this image from the owner. Car is on it's wheels for the first time in two years. The suspension has been detailed and so have most of the parts that are going on once it is final painted.

Leaving for final paint tomorrow and should be back before the end of the month.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/3/18 3:25 p.m.

Very nice ....well done.  text me at atethreetu4tu6juantutu6....and I'll gve you the gory details of the 'B'

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
8/5/18 8:57 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Love to hear the gory details, however the act of putting thought to air via the keyboard on my phone is something that pains me. It takes me ten minutes to single finger type a phrase on those stupid things! Yeah, I is old! 

If for some reason you don't want to air the dirty laundry here, the PM function does take you to my e-mail.

Pete

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/5/18 5:45 p.m.

sent you a PM

Brian

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/5/18 3:17 p.m.

Even though I can't take credit for the work done after a tub leaves my hands, I do take pride in seeing them go back together. Cause some people like to know how things turn out I also like to update the build thread

The MGB has left the paint booth. Not without some drama since when the owner took the panels off they did not automatically line back up at the body shop. And of course the shop wanted more $$$ to make stuff fit that was already fitting when it left my shop. But the car looks good and is it ever WHITE!

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/5/18 3:26 p.m.

Onward!

Did the paint shop manhandle some bits, or is it just they didn't take the time with aligning the reattachment and wanted to bill for the whole "these don't fit right" shebang?

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/5/18 4:46 p.m.

In reply to Ransom :

Bit of the later. I would imagine that they were not impressed that the owner had an amateur ( me) do the bulk of the tinwork and they then get the paint and body.

When they called to inform the owner about "difficulties with panel fit"  he then called me to ask WTF is going on and sent me a bunch of pics of the panels that did not fit. I had matching ones for pretty much every instance showing that they fit fine when the car left.

The owner did take the doors, fenders and hood off thinking that it would be trivial to re-install them. I had no such delusions having played the game before. Panel fit on old cars is a Rubik's cube kind of game as one panel affects all of them.

Pete

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/5/18 11:08 p.m.

That's a fun time. Easier to blame the other guy than put the time in solving the rubik's cube.

Car look good!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZBaQj3OAiBm5CCAPGRtY5VhwHwWScRz0UDlMxiTgpEAmnflMu0DJNilVJk1mqQ7e