1 2
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/1/12 1:46 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver:

I should say that I do want to build my own cars! I have that same Miata kit (although I'm trying to find the aftermarket wheels mine had for it), an 83 RX-7, a 73 Javelin, and I need to buy a 944 kit. I've been dithering off and on for years on a 68 AMX replica of my Grandpa's original one, too.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UberDork
5/1/12 2:03 p.m.

If you do happen to find a set that looks like the ones on my 1:1 please let me know!

Javelin
5/1/12 3:14 p.m.

Aoshima, Fujimi, and Taimya all make aftermarket wheel and tire sets, one of them should be a really close match to your wheels. The split-5 spoke was used by a lot of companies. It may not be an excat match, but it will be really close. Check Tower Hobby and feebay.

I had Rota RB's, which are much harder to find.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
5/9/12 6:37 p.m.

Javelin (and other modelers), a related Q: I'm thinking of a proper rebuild of the 1/12 scale Matra/Cosworth F1 car I was working on a few years ago..actually quit working on it after I realized I'd painted the thing a couple of shades too dark. I'm thinking of the "Easy-Off" trick to remove the old paint, any suggestions? Note that this is the old OOP Tamiya Matra kit (conversion to Cosworth already done, I just need to repaint the body & change the nose to Nurb `68), so I don't want to melt anything.

Javelin
5/9/12 6:40 p.m.

The best way to strip paint off of plastic is Westley's Bleche-Wite. It's for cleaning whitewall tires and can be found at any good parts store. Get enough of it to dunk your whole model and a quality tubberware (thick plastic, not clear) to put it in. Soak the body overnight and scrub with a soft toothbrush for hard to get spots. It's mild enough to not harm plastic, but it will dissolve all paint. I've used this on 50 year old models with success. Make sure to rinse the body and wipe it with microfiber cloths a few times once completed as no new paint will stick to any Bleche-Wite residue.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
5/10/12 1:43 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Thanks! I thought about just sanding it all off & restoring the rivet detail (the old syringe trick), but I'm not sure I have the patience for that anymore.

Javelin
5/10/12 2:02 p.m.

In reply to friedgreencorrado:

Yeah, forget that noise! Takes forever and can hurt your plastic.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/22/12 8:08 a.m.

I'm hoping everything on your end is okay. If so, any updates?

Javelin
6/22/12 8:56 a.m.

Uh, yeah, everything is good. I just haven't worked on the model. At all.

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
6/22/12 11:37 a.m.

I forgot you were working on this. The subject reminds me of my '93 GT.

All stock except for a K&N warm air intake when I sold her to buy my dad's Wrangler from him.

I can't remember, is that Teal or Bright Calypso Green?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/27/12 11:07 a.m.

Bump so it can get into the new Project Car/Build forum.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/13 12:15 p.m.

Guess how much model building I've done since the end of this thread?

Actually, I built a complete 1/48 F-102 Delta Dagger exactly like SWMBO's Grandfather's one at the Evergreen Air Museum (General Pat O'Grady) and gave it to my Mother in Law last Christmas. That, however, has been it.

It's time to break this Cobra back out!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
htn7I7lVDSC3hhht5oyvkvA2aenIeoyWbHd5ckTRS9IdGsaDJpTdK10F4aCcSroZ