1 2
JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
2/27/14 6:12 p.m.

Ok so I haven't been doing much car building I need some kind of creative outlet so bear with me. Forum member DrBoost was issued this lovely Ikea desk organizer at work and decided it needed to be more....unboring. So we have been collaborating on this little project.

It started out like this (photo stolen from IKEA)

DrBoost stripped it and powdercoated it satin black to give me a base for some fun.

So far the plan is to replace the cork bottom with a piece of polished aluminum diamond plate and then some airbrush and pinstripe work.

Design wise we both seem to be kind of open but the current plan is a set of old school flames along the back "wall" and some custom striping on the front face. Other interesting ideas will be entertained (with DrBoost's approval)

Step one is to spend the night with adult beverage in hand staring at it and seeing what it says to me. Tomorrow I'll start laying out designs and taping.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/27/14 6:22 p.m.

Looking forward to this.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/27/14 6:25 p.m.

This ought to be interesting.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
2/27/14 6:47 p.m.

LS1 swap ?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
2/27/14 6:49 p.m.

Needs more box-flare.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
2/27/14 8:00 p.m.

"An adult beverage" Singular may inhibit the creative process.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
2/27/14 8:04 p.m.
TRoglodyte wrote: "An adult beverage" Singular may inhibit the creative process.

We subscribe to the bottomless glass theory 'round these parts. If I top it off before it's empty then I can still call it one drink and avoid the wrath of wife (she may be on to my ways though)

solfly
solfly Reader
2/27/14 8:30 p.m.

Miata?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/27/14 9:32 p.m.

Hmm... I am somehow seeing it on wheels. If you could get the suspension off of a trashed offroad RC Car and mount it to that, it would be awesome.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
2/27/14 9:56 p.m.

Why just the suspension, automate that sumbitch!

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
2/28/14 9:24 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Hmm... I am somehow seeing it on wheels. If you could get the suspension off of a trashed offroad RC Car and mount it to that, it would be awesome.

Funny you say that, I was going through my stuff last night while thinking this over and I have a set of wheels off a cheap RC truck sitting on the shelf that I was going to use for some trophies for Asphault Adventures. Thought they would be interesting on there. But at no time did DrBoost mention making his caddy mobile so I think that's probably not part of the plan.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
2/28/14 9:27 a.m.

Gauge panel?

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/28/14 9:48 a.m.

Perhaps add a dash clock from something interesting, powered by a battery or a AC/DC converter?

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/28/14 9:53 a.m.

How about a few toggle switches with interesting labels, as seen recently in another thread...

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
2/28/14 7:59 p.m.

Waiting to see what the good Dr's opinion is but I think the small square in front needs a VonDutch style flying eyeball.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
2/28/14 9:21 p.m.

after some discussion we are thinking of going with a stylized flying eyeball like this. I would probably airbrush this bit in and add a little more depth to it than this image.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/28/14 9:33 p.m.

Wicked

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
3/1/14 9:06 a.m.

One of the joys of having a vinyl cutter is being able to design and cut your own airbrush stencils. Here's the project all masked up with vinyl stencils. Giving Dr Boost a while to weigh in on it while I tend to the honey do list and I'll probably start spraying tonite so I can stripe tomorrow.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/1/14 9:34 a.m.

Can you cut a hole in the side to serve as a bottle opener?

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
3/1/14 9:41 a.m.
Woody wrote: Can you cut a hole in the side to serve as a bottle opener?

That would be up to the owner, I won't be doing any metalwork on it :)

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
3/1/14 10:15 a.m.

Somehow I missed this thread. JThW8 is doing an awesome job. I like the idea of R/C suspension....might be doin that when I get it back.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/1/14 10:24 a.m.

If only the Doc's Elis Juan Porch was seeing this kind of progress!

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
3/1/14 10:37 a.m.
logdog wrote: If only the Doc's Elis Juan Porch was seeing this kind of progress!

Well, if the organizer could only be painted in a garage that has been below zero since christmas I doubt that it'd be moving along soo well. Not all of us have a shop with radiant in-floor heating connected to the arena where they train Arabian stalions for the Spanish Royal Family

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/1/14 11:16 a.m.
DrBoost wrote:
logdog wrote: If only the Doc's Elis Juan Porch was seeing this kind of progress!
Well, if the organizer could only be painted in a garage that has been below zero since christmas I doubt that it'd be moving along soo well. Not all of us have a shop with radiant in-floor heating connected to the arena where they train Arabian stalions for the Spanish Royal Family

My garage door is actually a space portal to my garage in the Bahamas. Why waste all that money on heating?

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
3/1/14 1:11 p.m.

Nice!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rlEjFlAdQvpaAERUgUDxeTSxhrY9J6ckliAzmKwtyk0qNAFdKJNNHfnnFa1C0Jp3