1 2 3 4 ... 14
conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
12/12/17 10:34 p.m.

Looks like you might have a set of 94-95 ZR-1 wheels (A-molds) on the car, based on the deep wheel not recesses. If so, they bring pretty good money in the Z community if you’re looking for some recoup. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
12/12/17 11:00 p.m.

84's are some of the coolest C4's

You ARE weird. You'll fit in here. Coincidentally, i agree with your statement.  

a_florida_man
a_florida_man GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/12/17 11:04 p.m.

In reply to conesare2seconds :

These are AFS wheels that copy the ZR-1 / GS style, but fit the early C4 backspacing. No spacers needed! Interestingly enough when a PO had these wheels added around 2000, he also sprung for the OEM CE center caps. And I guess at the end of the day that's not being too much of a poser because these wheels were never made by GM for the 1984-1988 fitment anyway.

When you stack the 4 , they are 4 feet tall. :)

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
12/12/17 11:22 p.m.

LOL @ "toothpaste"

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/13/17 10:29 a.m.

AFM, looking at the interior in this .....are you planning to follow Pete G's path or throw caution to the wind? I can't imagine another CL/ebay find having anything worth pursuing.....for challenge $$$$$'s That Rbox rocks...missin' toofusses and all!!!   wink

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
12/13/17 10:56 a.m.

In reply to a_florida_man :

So beyond challenge, what are your plans? Gutted ax/track toy or restored?  Because what you'll spend on even an amateur restoration will cost far more than it will ever be worth.  After all GM only built 358,180 C4s.surprise

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/13/17 11:27 a.m.

Glad I was able to help a little bit and now you know what the gear set SHOULD be.

Just to be a real pain, there are triple disc clutches available fairly cheap up here in NASCAR land...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/13/17 8:04 p.m.
stafford1500 said:

Glad I was able to help a little bit and now you know what the gear set SHOULD be.

Just to be a real pain, there are triple disc clutches available fairly cheap up here in NASCAR land...

I know a guy that is a great enabler for such misbehavior....

DO IT!!!!!!

a_florida_man
12/13/17 10:05 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

PM Sent

a_florida_man
12/13/17 10:10 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

I am going to throw caution, and many many pounds of "not needed"  to the wind.

And yes, I am very happy with the new 5 speed, er um I mean 6 speed.

For the damage of losing sixth gear the rest of the box is really nice.

It was more than half of the reason they car was a good buy, but it was still a small gamble. 

a_florida_man
12/13/17 10:19 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

Yes there is a post challenge plan. 

The challenge is phase one, where the car will be it's lightest and cheapest self.

Next more $$ will be spent in a drivetrain, and in the return of a FEW of the creature comforts that one might like to have on a long road trip.

Restored is absolutely not an option in any way. But I also have a narrow view of restoration. It will still be a nice car.

The goal will be a nice race car first, and then maybe a little more of a well presented sports car theme. You know stuff that keeps rain out, heat sources, something that locks, other vague things... no console, add a passenger seat back in...

BTW I sent you a PM about your spares... thanks!

a_florida_man
12/13/17 10:22 p.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

We need to talk... seriously.

Hopefully this weekend the engine will be out and the body will be final stripped of EVERYTHING, and the pressure washing cleaning and base painting can begin...

a_florida_man
12/13/17 10:23 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Honestly,

In this crowd, who is not?

a_florida_man
12/14/17 6:18 a.m.

So, I probably should not show this to everyone... it will sort of wreck your confidence when chasing oil leaks.

When you reseal an oil pan or replace a RMS in a car you HAVE to assume this is not happening... ughhh.

There is evidence that PO's were chasing this little issue off and on over the years.

No automatic alt text available.

a_florida_man
12/14/17 6:26 a.m.

Who says Corvettes won't rust? This gas tank is almost rusted in two. Saved only by the plastic liner. Could not really see it till I dropped the spare tire.

No automatic alt text available.

Bought a replacement tank, and it came with a car. That's right, parts car!! $100. This was a 64k mile special order car with a few odd features. Solid roof, no rear defog, and a body / interior color combination that was NOT suggested by GM. Gold (like 1400 cars total in 85) and Bronze. Last interesting fact.. it was the 87th 1985 Corvette built. S/N 100087. It fell victim to a hot rod drive train harvest. It will be interesting to read the build sheet on the tank, as #87 almost had to be first day of production.

Image may contain: car, sky, tree, cloud, outdoor and nature

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
12/14/17 6:42 a.m.

I can't be the only one thinking, drivetrain swap back and then sell the black shell for $100 to some other poor sap.

a_florida_man
12/14/17 7:03 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I would agree, except for title issues. The owner of the gold car mistakenly believes that he can use the Corvette title to title his home built hotrod. We don't have inspections on in state title transfers here, so he can get a tag if he doesn't mention anything, but as soon as you get into an accident you will quickly find that you probably won't be insured, and the officer investigating the accident is going to be asking some questions. I told the gold car PO this, but it was not well received. Oh well easy route = hard lessons.

Aside for the title issues, my build plan calls for a stripped bare starting point and there would still need to be a big tear down to convert from 2 to 3 pedals anyhow so there is no real labor savings.

Oh, andI almost forgot, the harvesting was done via saws all and hot wrench. Including cutting off the front shock towers "cause the shocks were stuck'. Yet he still left the Z51 sway bars behind. Go figure.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/14/17 11:29 a.m.

did you get bill of sale for parts car?   does said bill of sale have the VIN on it?   if so, you can surely bone the PO out of the title if you were so inclined.  i'm assuming he removed the VIN plate from the parts car to accompany his keeping of the title?  removing a VIN is a *huge* no-no.  pretty sure that gets you sent to federal berkeley-you-in-the-ass prison.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/14/17 11:31 a.m.

Is the interior in this a smidge better ??  would look kinda fly no?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/14/17 11:32 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Hey now, crappy black and haggard tan is my color scheme....

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/14/17 11:38 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

Hey now, crappy black and haggard tan is my color scheme....

Hijack alert .......in what that you own ?    the ELKY???

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/14/17 11:39 a.m.

AFM.........I spy a swamp buggy sportin' a C4 coat..... wink 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/14/17 12:05 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

2018 challenge car 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/14/17 12:19 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Still fly bro......

a_florida_man
12/14/17 4:06 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Black and Tan... LOVE IT!!!! My personal favorite!

Image may contain: 3 people, people standing and outdoor

1 2 3 4 ... 14

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dnOUF27W3XEgjbIjyXmMEU1XDJ4yyUedXUd26trna4o5TlFUko020M5Q8JpiLBKC