1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
loudandproud
loudandproud New Reader
1/30/20 9:30 p.m.

Every cord gets wrapped up, 123 block and clamp hung up and the floors get swept every night when I'm done.

5 minutes a night keeps things efficient the next time out.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
1/30/20 9:51 p.m.

Amazing work, just amazing

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
2/3/20 2:04 p.m.

What really looks impressive here is that other than the rod ends on the LCAs, this looks like it could have been a frame the truck left the factory with. Until you put it next to a stock frame and it's nothing alike.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
2/4/20 11:21 a.m.

Cool project!  Also interesting to see the CAD package you're using.  I don't run into a lot of CREO users.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/4/20 11:26 a.m.

In reply to 2002maniac :

We use it at work.  I hate it.

Admittedly I rarely use it and so it takes me 20 minutes to remember how to do basic things.

KurtAKX
KurtAKX New Reader
2/5/20 12:39 p.m.

Amazing work!
Please tell me though, that you didn't put this together like this with no internal tube/sleeve to take up the grip/compression load of the steering rack bolts.

loudandproud
loudandproud New Reader
2/6/20 1:49 p.m.

In reply to KurtAKX :

Yeah i did it like that, but meh... I'm not worried. Worst case i ream the hole out and weld a 7/8" tube in like i did for the LCA and roll with it.

Just about every mustang II crossmember is MUCH less substantial than this. Typically they just bolt the rack onto a boxed tab. If you look there is also a reenforcement plate right beside the bolt to support the plates. On top of that, those steering rack risers are 2" in diameter. On the back side, the washer is a full 2" in diameter. The washers and risers intersect those internal reinforcement plates. The thrust loads front and rear are very low in this joint compared to the shear loads. My tie rod angles are very low in that plane.

This is a common mustang II rack on many many street cars. Notice the LCA's arent even tubed.

Image result for mustang 2 crossmember

loudandproud
loudandproud New Reader
2/6/20 1:55 p.m.

Picked up a deal yesterday.

Gen V L83, $300... 

I'll be tearing it down this weekend. More details soon.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/6/20 2:40 p.m.

I kinda thought the same thing at first, but when you consider how close the bolt is to the A-arm crush tube, and the fact that the entire end of the cross member is going to be a box structure with very little chance of crush, I think it will be ok structurally.

Getting that long ass bolt aimed/started across the gap is going to be a *itch.

The whole project is awesome. The way people have been raising the bar in the projects forum is pretty impressive. Because of its agnostic nature GRM has become one of the premier places to post and follow epic build threads.

Pete

loudandproud
loudandproud New Reader
2/10/20 9:44 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWqoXhAaOGg&t=4s

Engine #1 is torn down. Overall... its meh. Engine #2 looks like a winner.

I plan on using engine #1 as a fixturing engine for mockup and fabrication purposes. At least in the process I got some good parts.

Rufledt
Rufledt UberDork
2/10/20 4:54 p.m.

You got a new youtube subscriber (me).  I have that same TIG welder!

loudandproud
loudandproud New Reader
2/19/20 7:21 a.m.

Got the new engine torn down and I am really happy with what I found. Originally the guy i bought the engine off of on FB marketplace said that it blew and oil pump. I pretty much assumed the bottom end bearings would be oil starved and trashed. NOPE! Everything in this little L83 is good to go. I could slap it together and run it. 

Im debating between throwing forged pistons in it, or rods and pistons. Realistically, the gen 5 rods will hold 800 whp no problem, and depending how the motor is set up, that may be close to other limits.
Right now im leaning towards dropping in a set of Mahle pistons and keeping the power levels at or below 800 rwhp. If I get a hankering for more power ill build a sleeved alum block engine on the side to swap in.

I got the Upper control arm gussets all tigged in solid and bolted up the front suspension that I've got now.

Up this week; Installing the rear 3 link mounts and rear crossmember structure. Stay tuned!

loudandproud
loudandproud New Reader
2/19/20 8:49 p.m.

Not done by any means, but... giggity.

loudandproud
loudandproud New Reader
2/27/20 7:54 p.m.

Started workin on the 3 link suspension. I put in some bracing for the lower 3 link mounts. The braces are 1.25" .095 Wall. The link mount brackets are 3/16" mild steel. Should have plenty of adjustability.

Unfortunately my 9 month old Ingersol Rand SS5 Compressor took a poop so the upper link isn't cut. YAY!!!

Patientzero
Patientzero Reader
2/27/20 8:02 p.m.

What plasma table do you have?

loudandproud
loudandproud New Reader
2/27/20 8:57 p.m.

In reply to Patientzero :

It's my design. Built it in the garage this summer. I uses a 24v power supply, nema 34 steppers, 20mm linear hgh bearings and a Pokey57cnc motion controller.

The plasma is an everlast 60s

loudandproud
loudandproud New Reader
2/27/20 9:02 p.m.

It was a fun project. Learned alot about fabbing and wiring. Hoping the project pays dividends with the truck build. I need to rebuild the probing action on the z axis and fine tune the THC controls, but overall its been a reliable machine. I need to clean it up. It's a work horse and gets road hard and put up wet.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
2/27/20 9:22 p.m.

This build makes me feel like my cars are built by a kid forcing a square wood block into a cylindrical hole

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/27/20 9:43 p.m.

In reply to loudandproud :

I would very much like a how-to/build thread on the plasma cutter.  Please and thank you.

loudandproud
loudandproud New Reader
2/28/20 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

I will have to get stuff together some time and make a thread. I can upload the .step files for 3D printing. Just havent had a lot of time for it, and i did'nt have the youtube channel going at the time so I didn't map the process as well as I should.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/28/20 12:34 p.m.

Whenever you can, my man.  I'd just definitely like to be able to take advantage of that at some point.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/28/20 1:10 p.m.

Also very interested in seeing a write up on that CNC plasma table when you get around to it. I've thought of building one for years.

RandolphCarter
RandolphCarter New Reader
2/29/20 7:26 a.m.
loudandproud said:

More pic dumps.

This is awesome.

loudandproud
loudandproud New Reader
2/29/20 12:09 p.m.

Episode 10 is up going over the 3 link design.

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
2/29/20 6:39 p.m.

You should quit your day job..............

1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bdl6iESjrfpZfLVWC3GonR9mBQ0eXnWlvfxk3THy7AWkkyDBlpnRWg4GeGGxhwW0