1 2 3 4 ... 6
jlk16188
jlk16188 New Reader
4/16/19 11:09 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I agree, im afraid of flat spotting the tires but Im basing all of my fender measurements around the wheels and tires so i needed to put something on there to at lease build the fenders before i put it on jack stands

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
4/16/19 12:34 p.m.
jlk16188 said:

In reply to dculberson :

I agree, im afraid of flat spotting the tires but Im basing all of my fender measurements around the wheels and tires so i needed to put something on there to at lease build the fenders before i put it on jack stands

I don't think flat spotting would be the big issue. dculberson was probably referring to shelf life. The rubber in the tire degrades over time no matter what you do. Big complicated projects take time, often many years because of life's interruptions. I'm a good example. Put new tires on project in '10 and then medical issues etc slowed me down so now they're now 9 years old with a shelf life of say 4-5 years and they're junk really. I'll drive the car around neighborhood etc on them when car is ready but will need a new set for track or highway.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
4/16/19 12:46 p.m.

Some peoples children!

Pete

GTXVette
GTXVette UltraDork
4/16/19 2:27 p.m.

What A Lovely Idea. chop up a C5.

I Love my Sawzall.   It's a Don't ask ,   Don't Tell , affair.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
4/16/19 3:05 p.m.

*one of us*

*one of us*

*one of us*

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
4/16/19 4:15 p.m.
Crackers said:

*one of us*

*one of us*

*one of us*

You mean "dropped on his head as a child"?wink

Crackers
Crackers Dork
4/16/19 5:23 p.m.
NOHOME said:
Crackers said:

*one of us*

*one of us*

*one of us*

You mean "dropped on his head as a child"?wink

*one of us*

*one of us*

*one of us*

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/16/19 5:24 p.m.
The0retical said:

Now here's a man with a sawzall, a welder, and no sense of regret.

I like it.

And lots of fiberglass resin. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
4/16/19 5:34 p.m.

If you have an hour to burn , look up Bangla Bangers on YouTube , 

It's about a shop in Bangladesh making "exotic" cars out of normal " bangers"

Yeah the boss is loud and obnoxious like most reality shows , but it shows some interesting 3rd world talent.

ill_climber
ill_climber New Reader
4/16/19 6:02 p.m.

I like where this is heading 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
4/16/19 6:20 p.m.

In reply to jlk16188 :

You are one creative dude with a designer's eye.  That is all.  Carry on.

And don't wait another year to update.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/16/19 7:10 p.m.
NOT A TA said:
jlk16188 said:

In reply to dculberson :

I don't think flat spotting would be the big issue. dculberson was probably referring to shelf life. The rubber in the tire degrades over time no matter what you do. Big complicated projects take time, often many years because of life's interruptions. I'm a good example. Put new tires on project in '10 and then medical issues etc slowed me down so now they're now 9 years old with a shelf life of say 4-5 years and they're junk really. I'll drive the car around neighborhood etc on them when car is ready but will need a new set for track or highway.

While all the above is true, every decent chassis book in  the world says you begin design with the tires. 

Oh, and this is incredible. Tires rot. We're all dying anyway. 

This forum is great. I learn so much. You are all lovable lunatics.

jlk16188
jlk16188 New Reader
4/17/19 6:59 a.m.

Some small updates from last night... I fitted the Subaru hinges to the chassis and welded bolts through the inside of the A pillar uprights.  With that done I made templates for the A and B pillar cap plates.  once I cap the pillars I'll flip the roof over and do the same to the roof so when I stitch the two cars together I'll be welding plate to plate and not stitching mismatched sheet metal shapes together

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
4/17/19 7:27 a.m.

Are you using 3M panel bond adhesive to affix the roof to the car? George Barris is smiling....

jlk16188
jlk16188 New Reader
4/17/19 7:29 a.m.
Agent98 said:

Are you using 3M panel bond adhesive to affix the roof to the car? George Barris is smiling....

No I'm welding the roof to the chassis, its all steel

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
4/17/19 8:46 a.m.

I like the amount of forward planning that is going into this project. You should end up with a car that is not just unique but also sustainable since most of the systems you are assembling can be bought off the shelf. Please keep going.

Pete

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/17/19 11:23 a.m.

I am in awe of someone that can look at a Tiburon and say "that would fit and look nice grafted onto a C5.  Oh, and I'll use Subaru door hinges to make it work."

Nice work, keep going!

jlk16188
jlk16188 New Reader
4/17/19 11:55 a.m.
glueguy said:

I am in awe of someone that can look at a Tiburon and say "that would fit and look nice grafted onto a C5.  Oh, and I'll use Subaru door hinges to make it work."

Nice work, keep going!

Toyota Rav4 headlights too

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/17/19 1:55 p.m.
Run_Away said:

Sweet honey barbeque this is awesome!

That escalated quickly....

What's the story with the Tiburon?  Looked like a complete car.

I needed that passenger rocker and rear bumper!

jlk16188
jlk16188 New Reader
4/17/19 2:08 p.m.
bobzilla said:
Run_Away said:

The rockers cannot be removed without destroying them.  I do have the rear bumper and all of the body panels including the roof

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/17/19 2:27 p.m.
jlk16188 said:
bobzilla said:
Run_Away said:

The rockers cannot be removed without destroying them.  I do have the rear bumper and all of the body panels including the roof

Bob is a Hyundai weenie, he was referring to the tiburon parts

jlk16188
jlk16188 New Reader
4/17/19 2:36 p.m.
Patrick said:
jlk16188 said:
bobzilla said:
Run_Away said:

Bob is a Hyundai weenie, he was referring to the tiburon parts

Ah! I see.  Well I can tell you which scrap yard crushed them if youd like to say a prayer or send flowers in their memory 

rustybuckets
rustybuckets Reader
4/17/19 2:48 p.m.

That brings up a  good question though - what's the rocker plan? 

... I have lots of questions on plans though, so I have no idea why I singled that out hahah. I love the build though!!

jlk16188
jlk16188 New Reader
4/17/19 2:52 p.m.
rustybuckets said:

That brings up a  good question though - what's the rocker plan? 

... I have lots of questions on plans though, so I have no idea why I singled that out hahah. I love the build though!!

This is the rocker plan:  I will mount a side skirt/ side splitter and then build the rocker panels and door jambs the same way the corvette was manufactured as one piece.  I want the rockers and fenders to mimic the look of this Aston Martin

nickt93
nickt93 New Reader
4/17/19 4:14 p.m.

My kind of crazy.  Subscribed!

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OXjzKJ8voZaEv95oN1h7p0NFFqlQXhlnskldGDvR8Rm45yKTubqyLKOJg7oojBdx