1 2 3 4 5 6
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
4/30/19 7:11 a.m.

I can't wait to see the final product.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/30/19 7:40 a.m.

Incredible how well this is working out. Are we seeing real-time updates? You're working fast if so.

jlk16188
jlk16188 New Reader
4/30/19 8:47 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

Incredible how well this is working out. Are we seeing real-time updates? You're working fast if so.

yep these are all real time updates, usually the morning after i have put a few hours in on it

jlk16188
jlk16188 New Reader
5/2/19 5:08 a.m.

Drivers side door jamb seals are finished

jlk16188
jlk16188 New Reader
5/7/19 5:17 a.m.

Shortened the second window rails and mounted it all to mock-up the door thickness

Patientzero
Patientzero New Reader
5/7/19 7:47 a.m.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/7/19 9:41 a.m.

Looking amazing. How far are the windows going to be able to roll down? All the way or only part way?

jlk16188
jlk16188 New Reader
5/7/19 9:45 a.m.
dculberson said:

Looking amazing. How far are the windows going to be able to roll down? All the way or only part way?

Thanks! Windows will go mostly down. They will stick up about an inch out of the top of the door.  

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
5/9/19 9:15 a.m.
jlk16188 said:

I have overlaid digital pictures of the cars numerous times but they are too messy to post here.  with the tiburon roof on the corvette wheebase it matches almost identically to this picture

I really like the way it gets rid of the chunky C5 butt. and a superb choice for the roofline.

Yes, yours is a special kind of crazy... but it's the kind of crazy that we all want to see more of!

MadScientistMatt
6/3/19 7:06 a.m.

Just checking if there's been any updates to this build.

jlk16188
jlk16188 New Reader
6/3/19 9:28 a.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

Just checking if there's been any updates to this build.

Unfortunately I have been swamped at work the past month and havent made any monumental progress leaps lately.

I have been doing little things like relocating the ECU and drive by wire module into the car.  I have it sitting where the passenger side airbag used to be. Im relocating the battery to the back of the car so I made up my ground points at the front of the car and bolted the original battery ground to the frame but Im still working on the positive cable route to the rear.

Everything Ive been playing with lately isnt very picture friendly and boring just rearranging wire harness. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
6/4/19 12:46 a.m.

In reply to jlk16188 :

I don't know how I missed this, this is fantastic. 

I get the little details bit, I spent half my time this weekend doing things most people wouldn't even be able to see where done.  It can be disheartening at times but all those little things have to get done and then you get to do the noticable things. Just keep keeping on

MadScientistMatt
6/4/19 7:24 a.m.

Glad to hear it's coming along. I know, not all work on a project is equally photogenic even if it must be done. I've been struggling with getting a nut on an inaccessible stud on my Dodge Dart for the past week or so (only able to work on the car a half hour or so a day).

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/4/19 8:06 a.m.

I've been wetsanding for a week and if anything it makes the car LESS photogenic. Keep it up! The devil is in the details.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
6/4/19 12:45 p.m.
jlk16188 said:

Before you ask why.... Because I can, that’s why

I'm late to the party here, but I approve of what you're doing.

TurnerX19 said:

Make male bucks and female molds even if you only make one unit. Make your first mold off the Tiburon roof so you get the hang of the process. Making fiberglass parts without molds is always disastrous. Finished body panels need consistent wall thickness, which can be obtained only by layup inside a mold.

Here are photos of a guy making molds and using them to fabricate the fiberglass rear fenders for his locost.  The fenders turned out really nice.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxgvGWNh0ll/

His molds are interesting....made from many bit of plywood and sanded into the shape he needs.  It is worth taking a look....similar methods could be used to make original body panels that don't match any prior shapes.

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
6/4/19 9:04 p.m.
JoeyM said:

Here are photos of a guy making molds and using them to fabricate the fiberglass rear fenders for his locost.  The fenders turned out really nice.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxgvGWNh0ll/

His molds are interesting....made from many bit of plywood and sanded into the shape he needs.  It is worth taking a look....similar methods could be used to make original body panels that don't match any prior shapes.

*That* is super cool. It looks too easy to be true (I'm sure there are huge amounts of cubic time invested. but wow. 

2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
7/1/19 8:14 p.m.

Had to bring this back to the top!

jlk16188
jlk16188 New Reader
7/1/19 8:31 p.m.
2GRX7 said:

Had to bring this back to the top!

Thanks for bringing back

sorry I’ve been mia lately.  I started making some foam forms, mostly experimenting with techniques and materials to use as a buck.  

But my biggest hurtle has been we have been busting our butts getting our house prepped and on the market because we spontaneously low balled an enormous house with a fantastic garage and the owner accepted it.  

jlk16188
jlk16188 New Reader
7/1/19 8:33 p.m.

In reply to jlk16188 :

jlk16188
jlk16188 New Reader
7/1/19 8:37 p.m.

In reply to jlk16188 :

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/1/19 8:58 p.m.

Yowza! Looks great...can't wait to see more! ....and congrats on the house!

2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
7/2/19 11:00 a.m.

Verrry nice! Something tells me you'll like working with the insulation more than than the plywood. Congrats on the house!

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/2/19 11:29 a.m.
jlk16188 said:

But my biggest hurtle has been we have been busting our butts getting our house prepped and on the market because we spontaneously low balled an enormous house with a fantastic garage and the owner accepted it.  

Congrats! I'm hoping to make a low ball offer in the near future as well on a house. Glad it's going in your favor!

2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
7/29/19 11:10 a.m.

Sooo, how'd the house swap go?

jlk16188
jlk16188 New Reader
7/29/19 12:46 p.m.
2GRX7 said:

Sooo, how'd the house swap go?

Unfortunately for the car project, the house swap hasnt happened yet.  We close on Aug 23rd on both houses because of delays of the buyers of our house.  Everything on our end went flawlessly but the people buying our house made the swap difficult.. they applied for and then were denied for a VA loan which required lots of extra inspections of my house, which we passed but delayed the process.  Now they are in the approval process for a conventional loan and everything looks good.

if youre interested...heres some pic of the new place just off zillow

the garage bay is 20' x 40' with 12' ceilings. large 20' x 20' storage room behind the garage bay with full utility room for the apartment above the garage.  Its a big step forward for me coming from our current house with an 8' x 12' garage and using the area under my deck in the backyard as the car building space

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z7XTX4lwzwP6xh97AO1gnG9K6uLmxvxvf6kzfeCAUZ5QWGL6PcjLh6fSGT3jQibb