1 2 3 4 ... 6
Conquest351
Conquest351 HalfDork
11/16/11 4:11 p.m.

Friday morning, now this has been 4 days, they're there at 6:45am to pour the concrete.

The wife...

Conquest351
Conquest351 HalfDork
11/16/11 4:16 p.m.

Foundation is poured dude!!!

Conquest351
Conquest351 HalfDork
11/16/11 4:19 p.m.

Gratuitous baby shots...

RIP Skwizgaar the cat. Such an awesome kitty...

Conquest351
Conquest351 HalfDork
11/16/11 4:21 p.m.

Foundation cured from Friday till Wednesday. This was sitting there when I got home Tuesday afternoon.

Conquest351
Conquest351 HalfDork
11/16/11 4:24 p.m.

Came home Wednesday from work to this!!!

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/16/11 4:29 p.m.

Damn those guys are quick!

Conquest351
Conquest351 HalfDork
11/16/11 4:35 p.m.

Thursday I came home to this...

Brick showed up while I was taking pix...

Yes, white brick.

Conquest351
Conquest351 HalfDork
11/16/11 4:48 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Damn those guys are quick!

You ain't joking!

Friday they had all this done...

Conquest351
Conquest351 HalfDork
11/16/11 4:51 p.m.

Saturday, we were dried in.

Conquest351
Conquest351 HalfDork
11/16/11 5:10 p.m.

Come on in!

Entry way, 10' ceilings.

Office to the left.

Into the living room with these huge 6' tall windows

Looking back into the living room from the windows. You can see the hallway to the girls' rooms.

Kitchen

Breakfast area

Laundry Room

Kourtlyn's (1 year old) room

Kelcie's (15 year old) room

2nd bathroom

Entry to master suite

View from door into the master bedroom

Kinda from the corner looking towards the master bath

Looking into the master bath

This will be a large garden tub and stand up shower

Doorway to master closet

Covered half of back porch

Open half to enjoy those big windows

Conquest351
Conquest351 HalfDork
11/16/11 5:19 p.m.

Remember I was talking about Tensioned Foundations? Here's how it works. Ya hook up a hydraulic ram and insert keepers that look just like oversized valve spring retainers over the steel cable.

Then you turn it on and let it pull the cable to 7800 psi. Rinse and repeat.

Looks like they're all done. Those plastic things are the molds that kept the holes open when the concrete was poured.

Now you use a big ass diamond saw to cut off the excess.

Nice & neat.

Fill the hole with concrete and you'll never know it was there.

Taiden
Taiden Dork
11/16/11 5:20 p.m.

1) Those guys are FAST
2) This thread is incredibly fascinating.
3) I want to build some kind of structure some day. Maybe to live in

Conquest351
Conquest351 HalfDork
11/16/11 5:21 p.m.

Gotta go home now, I'll post more in a little bit. LOL

EvanR
EvanR Reader
11/16/11 7:04 p.m.

I'd like the 350 square foot cabin when you're done. Plenty of space for one guy, after I add the 2500 square foot garage.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
11/16/11 9:23 p.m.

congrats. good luck with the build. looking forward to more pictures and updates

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
11/16/11 9:48 p.m.

Cool! My g/f is sort of doing a blog for the reno work I'm in the middle of, but it's all on FB, which doesn't let you hot-link.

It is amazing how fast pro's work. Much faster than the snail's pace we're moving at...

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
11/16/11 10:37 p.m.

Hmm, I don't know that I've seen a post-tensioned SOG, especially in a residential application. We've done parking garages and other large structures that way but no SOG's that I'm aware of. Around here slabs typically just get wire mesh or fibers with some rebar in strategic locations (of course rebar in the foundations).

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
11/16/11 10:44 p.m.

That was a different way of doing the post tensioning than I'm used to seeing, but that way there's less chance of error.

When I see them the cable can get all wiggly (a big no-no) and when they tension it can create problems instead of stopping them.

Conquest351
Conquest351 HalfDork
11/16/11 10:47 p.m.
Ian F wrote: Cool! My g/f is sort of doing a blog for the reno work I'm in the middle of, but it's all on FB, which doesn't let you hot-link. It is amazing how fast pro's work. Much faster than the snail's pace we're moving at...

Where do you think I'm hotlinking all these pix from? LOL They've been building the house for 3 months. You guys are getting a full house build from beginning to end in just a few short hours. LOL

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
11/16/11 10:56 p.m.
Conquest351 wrote:
Ian F wrote: Cool! My g/f is sort of doing a blog for the reno work I'm in the middle of, but it's all on FB, which doesn't let you hot-link. It is amazing how fast pro's work. Much faster than the snail's pace we're moving at...
Where do you think I'm hotlinking all these pix from? LOL They've been building the house for 3 months. You guys are getting a full house build from beginning to end in just a few short hours. LOL

Pictures aren't working here.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
11/16/11 11:20 p.m.

This is cool.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
11/16/11 11:25 p.m.

Looks good! I have a zillion pics from when my home was built 7 years ago (move in day was the day before Thanksgiving) but they were slooooowwwww, mostly with the finishing work since they used panels fabbed up off site and installed here. It would be boring to look at and I'd have to find them so this is all you get I feel you on livin in that cabin - we (me, wife and 2 kids then 6 and 4) lived in a small apartment for 3 months while my place was built, but not thatsmall.

Conquest351
Conquest351 HalfDork
11/16/11 11:42 p.m.

Now we get to some cool technical stuff. I upgraded the AC unit from a 14 sear 4 ton system to a 19 sear 4 ton heat pump system. I really don't know what that all means, but apparently it's completely badass. Someone put it in my terms by saying, "dude, you just upgraded from a 1984 Chevy truck to a brand new Cadillac CTS-V". It helps when your friends understand how your mind works. Anyway, pics!!

Conquest351
Conquest351 HalfDork
11/16/11 11:44 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
Conquest351 wrote:
Pictures aren't working here.

WHAAAAAT? Is he the only one guys?

Conquest351
Conquest351 HalfDork
11/16/11 11:49 p.m.

Now I started customizing. I decided to run some CAT6 cable to each room. Remember the little thread I had a while back about "Learn me CAT6"? Yeah. Anyway, I ran 2 strands to each bedroom and the living room.

Terminating in the office

Run into the girls' rooms.

In case I want to have volume controls here...

Master bedroom strands

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GgnFCuGxn4CUlXdjW4umuMW00qcUNIH3U8AB9XkqNdFSPHn5uOOTOZIvtBSF893V