1 2 3 ... 11
HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
3/31/14 8:17 p.m.

1993 Eagle Summit DL Coupe First post! Woot, I like this place....lots of vehicular variety Backstory: I want an EVO III.....can't import one, so I decided to make my own. I couldn't find a sedan, and I prefer coupes, so here we are. I bought a base model DL. Options included: AM/FM radio, Rear Defrost. just the way I wanted it. pics of the day I got it:

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
3/31/14 8:39 p.m.

Ooooh using the Eagle for bonus sleeper points. From one DSM fan to another, I welcome you.

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
3/31/14 8:53 p.m.

Yes, I am an eagle man. This one is my "it's just a honda" sleeper. I had a lovely 95 TSi AWD Panda, and I just decided that I wanted this car more than the Panda getting done. I think I made the right choice. PS, I have more to show you:

I picked up a '91 6-bolt for $800, redone .020 over, BSEK, new oil pump, with only 1K miles on it. It was originally for the Talon, but in time I would stop the talon project, and go full out into the summit.

I also picked up another 6bolt with a TD05 16g for a spare for $280. totally worth it....ends up having low comp in #3. I scrap that project and use the motor for visual aids and PARTSSSSS. This is my FIRST shortblock-up build. First 6-bolt and first engine swap car as well. this is my horribly cramped (but free to use so whatever) DSM engine building area @ the local shop i go to. The engine to the right is the fresh longblock for the summit. the left is the bad junkyard 6-bolt.

stealthfighter1
stealthfighter1 Reader
3/31/14 9:03 p.m.

Oooh , I like where this is going

Burrito Enthusiast
Burrito Enthusiast Reader
3/31/14 9:08 p.m.

Mmmmm, yes. Please continue.

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 New Reader
3/31/14 9:16 p.m.

oh dude......it's going there LOL

6-bolt long block assembled. The talon was gonna get this...now it's back to the summit. this is the motor I bought in pieces at the top of this thread :). this motor was build for the HX35 I had on the talon, so it's wayyyyyy overbuilt for a 16g, BUT I left in the HKS 272/272 combo instead of the 264/272 for a FWD friendly power band. I wanted full boost about 3600 so it's not spin city down low.

fresh redone head:

Bottom end with LOWWWW miles:

Kiggly's, 272's Viton seals

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
3/31/14 9:29 p.m.

Oooooh. I had the panda TSi you describe as well- I lost mine to crankwalk and the dreaded strut tower rust.

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 New Reader
3/31/14 9:42 p.m.

thread derailment for a post

it was hard to do.....but I finally parted it and sold the rolling shell a few months ago.. it lives again, so it was saved....just not by me. I had my fun. it had some tower rust, and BAD rear 1/4 holes in the wheelwells.

I think I did OK with it for starting with a stock 95 talon. I ended up with this....you might have seen it online before. I whored it out on DSMtuners LOL.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
3/31/14 10:17 p.m.

Wow, that is a clean Summit. And an SVT Focus as a parts hauler? You will fit in here just fine.

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
3/31/14 10:32 p.m.
Mitchell wrote: Wow, that is a clean Summit. And an SVT Focus as a parts hauler? You will fit in here just fine.

LOL yeah i seem to already love it here. Alas, I sold my 4 SVTF in 2012 after about 9 years of fun with them. I Bumped up to a '12 Focus ST. nice cars, E36 M3ty payment time for more pics? ok. This is the fully assembled longblock. I ended up ditching the EWG setup as it literally wouldn't FIT in the car . I also had to swap back to a 2g motor mount bracket. Some other items: Cleaned up the Oil cooler and lines; In order to run a 4g63 in a mirage with the stock trans (mine is a 1.5L Cable one) you need an NA 1g 4g63 flywheel......so:

and after

bluesideup
bluesideup Reader
4/1/14 3:34 a.m.

When I built my 4G63T Mirage Coupe for the 2008 not-so West Coast Challenge I quickly realized the transmission mounts need to be polyurethane filled. I had some serious wheel hop issues until I filled the mounts.

Also Evo VIII struts will work up front with re-drilling the strut towers and longer bolts in the knuckle. I also used Evo stuff for the rear but had to weld the round mounts at the bottom of the struts.

If you want disc rear brakes take the whole trailing arm and brake from a 1G Volvo S40. They are actually a stretched Mirage. I didn't get that far before I lost a wrist pin in the motor and had to junk the car.

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 New Reader
4/1/14 7:49 a.m.

yep, i actually have a set of Tein camber plates for the front, but I havent drilled the towers yet. I never heard about the volvo setup....I am prolly gonna go with 89mirageman's rear disk conversion. it's $230 but uses all OEM stuff like a 1g caliper and mini cooper S rotors. that SUCKS about the engine man. I hope I get many miles out of mine. On the mounts....I'm using a solid rubber 2g engine mount, the rest are OEM. I want to fill the pass side main one, but the rest seem ok how they are.

here is some more pics for today before I got to work.

I grabbed an EVO I-III JDM cluster....KPH only. maxes out about 120mph but I don't really go much faster in this tin can. Tach works with the ECU, just need to run a tach signal wire and a ground to the back of the cluster.

I had pulled a set of GC coils off an 02 mirage before I even owned this car, for $100. all the setscrews were snapped. I swapped out my GC coils sleeves on my now-a-shell talon for the tokico spares and made a good set for the summit. Yes, I am on stock shocks....YES it sucks. YES I want a Koni/Tokico setup one day.

camber arms i never installed......one day. I need an air tool when I do these.

I ended up getting new tires, a long overdue thing. I went with FAlken Zeix-912's. GREAT choice, and cheap for a 195/15. I went ahead and did something I had to do....de-rash the wheels and paint them. Rustoleum Antique Brass over Rustoleum Grey Primer. 2 coats on the paint, one on the primer. I......i love it. I LOVE Bronze wheels. My fav. Here is the current stance of the car:

ScreaminE
ScreaminE Reader
4/1/14 8:49 a.m.

Nice nice nice! I made a promise to myself that I'd never own another DSM/GVR4...I search craigslist weekly for one.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
4/1/14 8:56 a.m.

This is going to be one evil Eagle! Extra sleeper points for rubber bumpers.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
4/1/14 10:01 a.m.

Sweet! That's basically just a Mitsu Mirage, right?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/14 10:06 a.m.

I had a Mitsu Mirage once. Here is a shot of the body shell:

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/1/14 10:06 a.m.

In fairness, that was after 2 years.

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 Reader
4/1/14 11:43 p.m.

lol yeah mines ok. the roof is jacked with rust....but all 4g cars do that. one day I want an AL roof skin. Awwwwwwww yeahhhhhhhhh

I will post up more later......but it's in :). My ds mount is about an inch off and im going to redrill the hole and then window weld the old hole shut. All 3 trans mounts are secured so its in correctly. Nbd.  1g SMIC mounted up. barely fit. This is how the engine bay looks now: -I decided to "FIX" the way too low clutch engagement point by DSMing the clutch cable with washers so the actaully disengages now. It works great. It's fairly stiff as well. It should hold for a while. -2G OEM intake and MAF is in and fits with the Vibrant Filter. gits up to the stock 1g BOV as well, recirc'd -Oil cooler has been reloacted to the dead space on the lower frame rail, behind the bumper bar. MUCH better, OEM looking placement. I notched the DS inner metal fender liner for the lines to pass through.

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 New Reader
4/1/14 11:49 p.m.

Hood cut and closes nicely: (I like to make a real MESS when I work on 8 things at once haha =D> :D :D )

Battery tray welded up.. I had my brother weld bolts to the frame rail and use a self-tapper on the top hole. this is a Modified 2G DSM tray. works awesome and is easily removable. Wiring harness is in as well. most all engine bay connections are done except for the Knock Sensor (i have to put on a new plug) and the TStat sensor (I have to splice on a 1g Sensor connector, that I have).

255 Wally is in.....that was quite easy :)

$9 got me this. the pods are offset for the AEM wideband to be flush with the Autometer boost and oil pressure gauges.

pretty picture of it all finished :)

I test fitted up the gauges...they need some trimming and fitting for the heater controls. I figured so.

I got around to trimming the pods last nite and they don't push the bottom section down anymore.

here is the two harnesses before they get connected. Mirage dash to 95 2g DSM Engine and ECU harness.....OHHHHHHHH FUN. so much fun.....months of wiring pinouts anad connecting and just F.U.N.

HaveBlue83
HaveBlue83 New Reader
4/1/14 11:51 p.m.

DSLR pictures......getting closer :)

REAL pictures :)

]

I will post more tomorrow ;)

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
4/2/14 12:13 a.m.

Cool project.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/2/14 12:46 a.m.

Welcome to board! I like your project so far!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
4/2/14 6:39 a.m.

But......AWD?
It's a fantastic looking swap. I like it.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
4/2/14 10:18 a.m.

I'm digging this build.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
4/2/14 12:44 p.m.

Much cooler than an Evo, IMO.

1 2 3 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LtyHlXONVQ1ku09PKoivMca7IYTQXpN7zxirmWEEjTsShHfgVS7WnjtS24Z6STn0