vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/7/19 8:20 p.m.

First off, I only took part in some of the demo. School started and I was unable to contribute any sweat equity. But damn, the guy I hired killed it. Was a joy to see him go from planning to execution. I would highly recommend him to anyone. And, he's one hell of a guy to talk to. Grew up with Lance Smith, owner of Vermont Sportscar, Subaru Motorsports America. Works occasionally for them too.

Anyway onto the pics and build. The single car garage I have was starting to get bad. The roof had been infiltrated by varmints. There was rot and bad wood. And I needed more covered space. I can't even see my Vette any more. (I broke the cardinal rule of not making the car a shelf)

This is panoramic of the upstairs. That window didn't close anymore and the roof was full of critter nastiness. Walls were heavily stained from weather and other fluids. Respirator was my best friend here.

vwcorvette
11/7/19 8:50 p.m.

The best and only before shot. The offending parts are on the other side to the right.

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/7/19 10:11 p.m.

Can't wait. I love shop improvements!

vwcorvette
11/8/19 7:20 p.m.

The bad side. The window at top never closed well and the roof above it was rotted and disintegrating. 

vwcorvette
11/8/19 7:43 p.m.

Original plan was to remove everything above the first floor on the window side and create a new roof from the peak to a point 10 feet from the garage side for the car port. After some staring and thinking decided to leave most of the roof and create a knee wall one foot inside on the second floor and span the space from there. I'll post pics but having trouble with my tablet.

So me, my wife, and a couple of friends tore apart the upstairs while my builder got to digging some holes for the posts that would become the wall of the carport. The last post would prove a challenge as there's ledge all over my property and it intruded on the space the post needed to go. I think Dan came up with a great solution. Create a form and anchor a concrete base to it.

vwcorvette
11/8/19 7:47 p.m.

Cool things happening.

Dan's a spry 60 year old. Dug those holes by himself after deciding the room for a mini backhoe wasn't there and the cost would be too much.

vwcorvette
11/8/19 7:49 p.m.

Slightly different view.

vwcorvette
11/9/19 8:28 p.m.

New knee wall. Outer lower wall has been removed. Original roof reinforcements added. New plywood sheets on exterior. Floor edge repaired where rot took hold. You can see by the lighter color of the new wood. You can see the car port thru the knee wall.

vwcorvette
11/9/19 8:31 p.m.

Roof of the car port. Unfinished outer wall.

Finished carport wall. Lots of storage on them "shelves."

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6PFrqlnFPx1bh9ys9JQCaajnGqkz83rMF07fiq04ZT6SaskBdxMq6Qi4TlWdfLhb