1 2
oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
7/9/17 5:51 p.m.

nice job dropping weight - that's like a 700 lb diet so far

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
7/9/17 10:57 p.m.

Why go ps at all??? Think you need it at lower autox speeds?

corradocorrer
corradocorrer New Reader
7/10/17 4:50 a.m.

very impressive weight loss so far

Grantsfo
Grantsfo GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/10/17 3:08 p.m.
jfryjfry wrote: Why go ps at all??? Think you need it at lower autox speeds?

Yes for AX and I do have a fairly large wheel and tire up front. Still fairly heavy to go with no power assist. My wife may drive car too but admittedly I like light wheel too.

Grantsfo
7/10/17 3:35 p.m.
oldtin wrote: nice job dropping weight - that's like a 700 lb diet so far

It is amazing how much crap Porsche bolts onto these cars. The amount of heavy stuff that comes out of interior on these two seat cars is astounding. ....Hundreds of lbs .

Doors on 987 S are steel and weigh a ton. Rear hatch too. Bumper bars weigh a bunch. Then conversion of heavy OEM Porsche parts to motorsports parts knocks off a lot of weight.

I have spent hours and hours pulling brackets, insulation , wiring and steel backed molding off the car and still have more to go. I just spend my free time focusing on certain areas .

Very rewarding to see results as it has taken a couple years of working on the car a day or two a month. Finally getting car I have wanted.

Grantsfo
8/1/17 5:47 p.m.

AC pulled, ERP arms in , Tarret long arm end links in. Ran first event this past weekend. Wow! Car is awesome! I was underdriving it as I wasn't used to grip at first. Then started over driving. Have it down to 2150 lbs headed for 2000. Custom made curved lexan window coming from UK, now considering a turbo too.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
8/1/17 5:59 p.m.

Amazing car, amazing build!

Grantsfo
8/2/17 7:20 a.m.

Action shot

Grantsfo
8/14/17 7:19 p.m.

Video of auto x.

Ax video

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
8/14/17 9:55 p.m.

Digging the Police livery.

Grantsfo
8/15/17 1:52 p.m.
conesare2seconds wrote: Digging the Police livery.

Lol! Yeah I'm cheap and didn't want to spend money on repainting doors and hatch. I bought fiberglass parts used off a black race car. Figured I'd go euro police theme as buying decals is cheaper than re spraying parts white. Many of parts on this build are used and from race cars. All lightweight pullies are from eBay off a spare grand am motor . My goal was to build car for under $50k including car. Little over that number but not much.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/15/17 2:01 p.m.

Cayman's are my favorite Porsche. I bet its a blast to drive!

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
8/16/17 2:43 p.m.

I'm fairly certain that the words "Budget" and "Cheap" should never be found in the same thread as Jongbloed wheels.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
8/16/17 3:54 p.m.

Maybe not cheap for all of us - but definitely grassroots in spirit - scrounging used parts - diy work and putting it to use. Great build - keep the pics coming.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
8/17/17 9:44 p.m.

What hillclimbs are you looking at?

Grantsfo
8/21/17 2:22 a.m.
Sky_Render wrote: I'm fairly certain that the words "Budget" and "Cheap" should never be found in the same thread as Jongbloed wheels.

LOL! Oh so true! ...Unless you have been doing business with Ryan for long time and he knows crazy cars I have built that sport his wheels. His wheels were on my semi tubeframe 370Z and my 1900 lb Boxster and my 1600 lb 914-6. He gave me a partial sponsorship deal on these.

My original wheels were cheap 18x10 and 18x8.5 Enkei wheels I bought on sale for $175 each. Had to go to custom wheels when I went to 18x12 rear and 18x11 front. Not many cheap standard wheels with proper offsets in those sizes so had to go custom.

Grantsfo
8/21/17 2:23 a.m.
759NRNG wrote: What hillclimbs are you looking at?

Hoopa and Cascade hillclimbs in Nor Cal and Oregon

8valve
8valve
8/22/17 7:11 p.m.

Wow, nice work with the reduction. How much does the cage weigh? Did you get it on scale as standard before the diet? What was it 3200lbs?

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
8/24/17 6:03 a.m.

Beautiful car. Nice job.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
1/30/18 5:34 p.m.
Sky_Render said:

I'm fairly certain that the words "Budget" and "Cheap" should never be found in the same thread as Jongbloed wheels.

Not necessarily. I have Jongbloed Aero 500s on my Miata. $115 a piece

By the way, not even a Porsche fan and this thing is teh sexz

markwemple
markwemple UberDork
1/30/18 5:48 p.m.

Even though I'm no Cayman hugger, I'll admit it, I'm jealous.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UbnIHNLSMki9IKdIAf3nGaSdFDVxmY9yDbgYwIe1xCMCyRYNAMuwiRxJhw4qDLtY