1 2 3 ... 5
Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
5/21/12 10:08 a.m.

Ok we just about decided on a 1964 Alpine barn fresh that Tom has owned for about 20 years . 302 ford auto , s-10 chevy disc brake rear . Front end and rear rubber bushings are allready done .

Pik Linkage

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/21/12 10:12 a.m.

Looks like it needs a powertrain. What's going in there?

Karl La Follette
5/21/12 10:16 a.m.

302 ford we are rebuilding 340 sumtin rear end gears , aod auto trans

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/21/12 10:37 a.m.

Make sure you locate that rear axle well. We used to have a good laugh at the Sunbeam Tigers that autocrossed back in the '70's because of rear axle wind up and axle hop. They could never put the power down.

DavidinDurango
DavidinDurango Reader
5/21/12 11:12 a.m.

LAT (factory option stuff) cured that. My Tiger had such good traction . . .I couldn't keep my head up.

My V8 Miata is a way better car . . .

Argo1 wrote: Make sure you locate that rear axle well. We used to have a good laugh at the Sunbeam Tigers that autocrossed back in the '70's because of rear axle wind up and axle hop. They could never put the power down.
stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/21/12 1:01 p.m.

Looking forward to lots of updates on this one Karl!

dculberson
dculberson Dork
5/21/12 1:33 p.m.

What a sweet looking little car. I love those things.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
5/21/12 2:09 p.m.

A Sunbeam Tiger for Challenge money. I love it! You need to keep the (Lincoln?) wire wheels on it. Can I make a plea to please put a T5 in it instead of an AOD?

Matt B
Matt B Dork
5/21/12 3:12 p.m.

Dern man, sweet find! From the pics it appears to be a fairly solid little shell.

Karl La Follette
5/21/12 3:38 p.m.

Updated some piks of the car on the lift Car onlift piks

evildky
evildky Dork
5/21/12 3:42 p.m.

someone knows how to suck up to concourse judges...er well, at least one of them

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
5/21/12 4:32 p.m.

In reply to evildky:

First time for the actual car being the best attempt to bribe the judges?

Karl La Follette
5/21/12 5:49 p.m.

We are now www.sunbeamalpinetiger.com

Karl La Follette
5/22/12 1:48 p.m.

Tom using farm implements to increase fender flares We had to grind a caliper it was not clearing roller wheels and we sourced a wrecked cars front valance we gave a look at . Sonny my dog approves . photogs here

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/22/12 5:26 p.m.

Sweet score! That's one of those 'well I thought I could do an engine swap' cars.

Karl La Follette
5/23/12 10:48 a.m.

Donor mustang 5.0 and trans as aquired . Front rotors ford ranger , thunderbird calipers , add on bar for steering .

front end link piks

Karl La Follette
5/27/12 10:52 a.m.

Motors out on this fine Florida sunday morning . Clutch is shot so we are hoping thats what killed this car . Motor spins freely and plugs are brown . SO ? Gonna pull pan and main bearing and a rod bearing this afternoon . Thank you Veterans !

Winston
Winston Reader
5/27/12 10:58 a.m.

Cool build! Though it pains me to see the wheel arches cut up, I know it's for the best.

Karl La Follette
5/27/12 1:05 p.m.
Winston wrote: Cool build! Though it pains me to see the wheel arches cut up, I know it's for the best.

We only cut inside lip for bigger tires no harm was done to outside fender ,Tom used a cushion taped to body .

TeamEvil
TeamEvil New Reader
5/27/12 1:05 p.m.

"Though it pains me to see the wheel arches cut up . . . "

Exactly !

There really didn't seem to be much gain at all in doing that, about an extra 0.75" clearance but only another 0.5" up under the lip.

What's gonna happen when the wheel/tire tucks up into the fender well on a bump or tight turn, tire's gonna get stuck up there or what?

Lot of butchering and berkeleying around for barely any gain; maybe did it just to post the pic?

Wonderin'

TC

Karl La Follette
6/5/12 10:46 a.m.
TeamEvil wrote: "Though it pains me to see the wheel arches cut up . . . " Exactly ! There really didn't seem to be much gain at all in doing that, about an extra 0.75" clearance but only another 0.5" up under the lip. What's gonna happen when the wheel/tire tucks up into the fender well on a bump or tight turn, tire's gonna get stuck up there or what? Lot of butchering and berkeleying around for barely any gain; maybe did it just to post the pic? Wonderin' TC Funny butchering is how I window tint Ha Tom has had the car for 20 plus years so he doing what ever he wants to do , The tunnel was cut out 20 or so years ago as Tom had planned the Tiger conversion way before . We are lowering it 2 inchs so we need any and all clearance . Ordered the Engine rebuild kit from Titan Engines Ocala Florida

We are taking all our cues from Ken Miles $600 tiger conversion , Carrol Shelby charged $10,000 dollars to do the second tiger conversion . Ken Miles Story

Karl La Follette
6/5/12 7:18 p.m.

Mustang fibreglass hood graft

Busted down engine piks here

spin_out
spin_out Reader
6/6/12 8:00 a.m.

Love it. Added to my favorites.

Karl La Follette
6/6/12 11:15 a.m.