1 2 3 4
LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/13/16 12:40 p.m.

The Pacific Northwest Wilderness calls. So I just picked this 1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 up for $3,800 bucks. It was listed for $4,500, and these trucks do command a premium up here. It is high mileage (260K), with one bad ding, but comes with maintenance records, and is completely clean underneath, not one speck of rust.

I have a few things to take care of, so the list is as follows: 1. Fix interior lights- The gauges are dim, the climate control lights are completely out, transmission lights are out. Already ordered the proper bulbs from superbrightleds.com to replace them, and plan on doing that first. 2. Work on the ding up front, bumper is lightly pushed in, I will probably leave that. but need to assess the light underneath, the fender has a ding and a partial rust spot. I will probably just grind off the surface rust and put a treatment on top. I don't have the ability to do paint, so it will be a bodge job. Remove remnants of the SpongeBob duct tape holding the light in.

1. The valve cover gaskets appear to be leaking, the parts are not bad for all the seals (about 120 bucks), but it looks like an involved job. I have only worked on 4 bangers before, so a V6 will be a new experience for me.
  2. Replace the radiator and add an external transmission cooler. About a 200-250 dollar job, but a preventative measure. I have learned all about the dreaded 'pink milkshake'. Toyota built the transmission cooler into the radiator, but over time corrosion occurs, allowing the coolant to mix with the ATF fluid, and destroying your transmission clutch packs. This one doesn't have the signs of the milkshake (one of the reasons I actually bought it), but I want to make sure this is done properly.
  3. Tires- Almost to the end of their lives. The backs look better than the front, but if I want to take it up to the snow I would feel better about having more tread depth.
  4. replace the window switch on the passenger side, the window works if you use the drivers side controls, so probably just a switch/panel that needs to be fixed.

Overall, it is super clean, the paint looks great. The tow package stays on as well as the roof rack. I plan on using the vehicle for fun, so camping, bike rides, and beer tours.

Here are a couple more pics from the Ad, but more to come as I get the fixes underway.

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
12/13/16 12:41 p.m.

Looking good! This generation of 4Runner is a nice thing to work on.

How's the rear bumper for rust? They trap gunk and rot hard from the inside up here. It may be prudent to drill a drain hole or something, but I don't know if that would actually help because I've never seen an intact one in the last five years.

At the very least, filling it with cheap cavity wax is going to be enough.

java230
java230 Dork
12/13/16 12:46 p.m.

Sweet! 3rd gens are pretty indestructible. I had a friend try....

Where in Seattle are you?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
12/13/16 1:05 p.m.

I tell you what, after spending a few days in the PNW, I'm really surprised that any Toyota truck demands a premium up there, because there's so many of the damn things. My head was spinning looking at all of them!

Nice 4Runner though, I've always liked that generation. I dig the color, they always are white or black around here it seems.

Maybe the pic is deceiving, but it looks like you still have a lot of tread (at least on the front tires).

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
12/13/16 1:11 p.m.

Love 'em! And I agree with the color, never seen that in MA as far as I can recall. It's nice.

Hard to beat those trucks really. They'll take a beating for sure.

Too bad the salt in New England does 'em in up here.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
12/13/16 2:27 p.m.
LifeIsStout said: The valve cover gaskets appear to be leaking, the parts are not bad for all the seals (about 120 bucks), but it looks like an involved job. I have only worked on 4 bangers before, so a V6 will be a new experience for me.

It's not. Once you get the intake off, there's not much in the way. access to all the holes is easy. Not sure where you are getting your prices though. its like 25 bucks on Rock. Add in spark plugs, wires, you're still well below your 120.

The only issue I've had with mine is the carbon box for evap emissions. According to the webs, don't overfill the tank. Once it clicks off, leave it. 400 bucks for that lovely piece of plastic. I've put 100k on my 2001 with very little required. radiator, 2 sets of tires, timing belt, water pump, water pump again. I'm on my fourth set of rotors, but I'm pretty sure its because I left the drums alone until last week.

Denso radiator was 100 bucks shipped on amazon.

Stainless
Stainless New Reader
12/13/16 2:47 p.m.

I had one of these for awhile, and here's what I learned --

1) All that glass and metal up high makes them pretty top-heavy off-road (does it have the glass sunroof?). I initially made the mistake of going with tall, skinny "pizza cutter" tires (255/85R16... about 32.5-inch) on stock rims with a mild lift and it felt very tippy. I suggest widening the thing with wheels and tires as much as you can if you intend to take it on trails.

2) A 90s Ford Explorer trans cooler is a much cheaper way of bypassing the stock setup. I towed about 1500 pounds up logging roads with mine and never had any overheating problems.

3) If it has the electric diff locker in the back, take the solenoid mechanism apart and I'll bet you'll find rusty grease. They're not sealed well, and cost a decent amount to fix. Address it early, if applicable.

4) The bottom serpentine tensioner pulley is notorious for going bad at the wrong time if you get it wet often. Cheap and easy to replace even in the bush, so keep one in the glovebox.

In all honesty, I didn't like my 4Runner that much. Something about it just didn't click, but I'm definitely in the minority to feel that way. If nothing else, I can certainly say that it was reliable.

LifeIsStout
12/13/16 2:54 p.m.

Yeah, I actually really like the color, I have been looking for vehicles for the last 4 months and this one finally came up. I was looking at cherokees and foresters (still need something smaller, do a land crusier was out).

I live in Seattle, Capital Hill/Central District area. I bus or walk everywhere. I will have to push it to put more than 5K a year on it.

I miss-priced the gasket set, I was looking at this one- http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=477010&cc=1357455&jsn=427

I think I had looked at an engine gasket set, which is much much more than just the valve covers. If you have any recommendations I am happy to hear them.

I am a little out of my element here, only had cars up until now, but I figure everything is just an engine with 4 wheels, so I should get by.

The tires look OK from a distance, but they are at their wear bars in the front, and not far from it in the rear.

I will double check the rear bumper, but when I was under there checking it out everything looked awesome, nothing on the LCAs, body, anything really.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/13/16 3:24 p.m.

That seems like a good purchase, and I also like the color.

LifeIsStout
12/13/16 3:45 p.m.

Stainless-

Thanks for the tips, I do have the sunroof. I don't have the e-locker unfortunately. I can put one in, but I don't expect this thing to go crawling.

I actually am not sure if I have the 15" or 16" rims on this, they made this style rim in both sizes, I already asked the owner to let me know what size they are so I can look at options. I was actually looking at the General Artics for this winter (I want to go snowboarding). GRM sponsorship works right?

Does anyone have an opinion about the studded vs leaving them unstudded?

A new trans cooler is only about 50 bucks, so I will probably just do that, and a replacement Koyo radiator is only about 120 new off of ebay.

Timing belt and water pump were all done within the last 20K, so I am good to go there. it's a 2 owner car, and the last owner was only for the last year (college student).

Stainless
Stainless New Reader
12/13/16 4:43 p.m.

I had a Limited model with 16-inch rims, but I believe that 16s are required to fit over the front brakes on all third-generation 4Runners. The same wheel design in the 15-inch size only came on Tacomas. So, the odds are good that you'll need 16-inch tires.

It's been a few years, so take that with a grain of salt. Good luck with her!

java230
java230 Dork
12/13/16 5:01 p.m.

In reply to Stainless:

Nope, 15's fit too. I have a set of those wheels behind my garage, Ill look tonight.

LifeIsStout
12/13/16 5:25 p.m.

Yeah, I looked it up, and Tirerack pops up saying that both fit. You could get 15s or 16s on the SR5. The limiteds only had 16". I am sort of hopeing for 16s as I want to do the Tundra brake upgrade at some point, and that fits easier under the 16s. I should have the answer either way in the next day or two. I should pick up the truck either Friday or Saturday anyway, so will have my answer then.

java230
java230 Dork
12/13/16 6:25 p.m.

In reply to LifeIsStout:

I belive they are 16's ill check soon

And on the brake upgrade, it's the same parts as the limited and sport in the 4th gen (13wh casting iirc) if those parts are cheaper

java230
java230 Dork
12/13/16 7:07 p.m.

16x7 et25

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/13/16 9:24 p.m.

Man, unless that fender ding looks worse in person I'd just leave it. If you make it too pretty, it'll just hurt that much more when you ding it again off road

Great looking rig though man, nice score!

LifeIsStout
12/14/16 11:31 a.m.

I mostly want to make sure the light is mounted properly and the headlight is aimed true. I also want to make sure the rust doesn't eat up the whole fender (although fenders are super cheap). I am looking forward to applying some wilderness patina.

LifeIsStout
12/14/16 3:15 p.m.

I should also mention the title. I am a fairly avid homebrewer, so part of my want to go into the wilderness is to acquire ingredients to use in brewing. This could be wild berries, spruce tips, mushrooms, different herbs, even bark and different wood. I also have a great little kegging setup, so I can travel with my beer as well. I like the idea of having a keg in a cool stream that I can go pull a pint off of at any time.

java230
java230 Dork
12/14/16 3:35 p.m.

Ill go camping with anyone that brings a keg of homebrew!

Need any more equipment? Mine has not been used in a year and a half or so...

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/14/16 6:04 p.m.

Nice!

I'm about to bottle about 3-gallons of blueberry wine. We picked the berries from my grandparents place last year (there was more, but I was pulling off a few bottles early as I couldn't wait anymore)

This year we got around 12lbs or so of blackberries from the Tacoma waterfront (bushes galore down there) but ended up turning all that into jam Next year I hope to double that so we can have jam and blackberry hooch.

I don't do beer much anymore, but when we make a run I'll be sure to have something interesting on me to share

Cheers!

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Reader
12/14/16 6:08 p.m.

Guess I'll have to slap some knobby tires on the Camaro and tag along...

LifeIsStout
12/15/16 1:37 p.m.

Java- I am good on equipment, I actually brew with a PicoBrew Zymatic these days (magical beer microwave, look it up).

I want to do some berry picking next year and add it to various beers. I have done a blueberry coffee porter in the past. I just kegged a Coconut Coffee Vanilla porter last night. Toasted my own coconut and made my own cold brew coffee for it.

java230
java230 Dork
12/15/16 2:07 p.m.

In reply to LifeIsStout:

The PicoBrew office is close me to, I saw their shirts some time earlier this year and looked it up, cool system! If you need more kegs LMK

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/15/16 3:41 p.m.
LifeIsStout wrote: I like the idea of having a keg in a cool stream that I can go pull a pint off of at any time.

Everybody who likes beer, and a few people who don't know they like beer yet because they've not done this, agrees with you.

It's even better when you get a trout on the line while standing next to the keg and are able to put said trout on the fire just beyond the keg on shore.

4Msfam
4Msfam Reader
12/16/16 1:12 p.m.

Cool truck! I've got a 2001 Sequoia that I upgraded the front brakes on. My calipers would work great for your upgrade. I'll sell them to you cheap. I'm over by UVillage, so close by. PM me for details. Or msabrinaa At Comcast Dot Net.

Can't wait to see what else you do with it.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2xie0w1YVvQ2ubOtxdm06V8XEKRuWFE8OAklESRxPpBvAWKjawH2dTvsW39oLADA