1 2 3
Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/5/19 8:57 p.m.

Beautiful creation!

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
6/5/19 9:56 p.m.

Congrats on the first drive! Looks great!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/5/19 10:47 p.m.

Excellent!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/5/19 11:37 p.m.

Outstanding!

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
6/12/19 9:58 a.m.

It's been a little over 2.5 years since I started this build. Prior to that I was searching for what to build.  I've made a lot of posts on this forum as I've gone through my process.  You are probably tired of all of my posts. :)  I know that I'm physically tired. This build has been difficult for me.  My health isn't the best.

Yesterday I washed the car and did a quick wet sand with 220 paper to remove any mold release and to clean up the body.  I took the car to official scales to get a weight that NY requires with the registration application.  Then I took some pictures.  NY requires them for the application too. 

I've built a number of cars.  I love the looks of this one.  It is my favorite.  It may be my last.

I had been thinking of offering some kits.  But, I don't think that I have it in me to build frames.  I may sell just bodies.  I can have a fiberglass company make those for me.  I know that there won't be a big market for just bodies.

There are still things to do to finish the build.  But, I can drive it as it is.  Over the winter I hope to paint it and do a better job on the interior. 

Thank you for all of the support, input, and comments.  Now, just to get through the registration process and drive it! 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/12/19 10:11 a.m.

That is just wild! The thing is a freaking Hot-Wheels come to life.

This build is just more proof that GRM  project board has THE best collection  and assortment of build threads in one place.

I used to go to the "Build Threads" site, but anymore, all I find there are links to builds from this forum.

Pete

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/12/19 1:32 p.m.

This build is amazing and it would take a whole lotta nonsense for any of us to even start tiring of your posts about it. Keep 'em coming!!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/12/19 1:38 p.m.

In reply to jmc14 :

this build has been a major inspiration to me, and i can say for sure that it is one of the reasons i have taken on the MONZORA build.  so yeah, definitely not tired of reading your posts.

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/12/19 2:11 p.m.

Not in the least, keep them coming! Beautiful car and great inspiration for all of us. 

06HHR
06HHR Dork
6/12/19 2:15 p.m.

I would be lucky if anything I build looks half as good.  Your car will haunt my dreams, amazing work!

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
6/12/19 2:49 p.m.

Once again, you have my sincere congratulations.  This is a fantastic result.  

BirgerBuilder
BirgerBuilder Reader
6/12/19 2:52 p.m.

Car looks great! 

Though I feel like you should have changed the name to "Whaleshark"

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/12/19 6:40 p.m.

I think our favorite monthly automotive magazine should write an article about this incredible car.  smiley

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/12/19 7:53 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

I think our favorite monthly automotive magazine should write an article about this incredible car.  smiley

I second the motion.

jmc14
jmc14 Reader
7/28/19 10:44 a.m.

Hello Everyone,  It's been a little while since I've posted. 

To register the car in NY I had to complete an application for the DMV.  It required pictures, receipts, and DOT numbers for the windshield and all lights.  It also had a check list for equipment required. Back up lights, bumpers, padded sun visors, padded dash, flashers, turn signals, seat belts, ect.  I had used old style Lucas lights for the turn signals, tail lights, and back up lights.  These do not have DOT numbers.  I ended up buying 2.5 inch round LED lights from OPTRONICS.  These have the DOT numbers.  I cut out the lenses and siliconed them into the Lucas housing.

My application was accepted and an inspection has been scheduled for August 6.  I have to trailer the car to close to Albany, Ny for the inspection.  I think that I'll pass.  The 6th is my birthday.  Passing will be a great present.  I'm anxious to get it on the road!

On July 4th I was at a beach on Lake Champlain.  I had a sharp rusty piece of steel penetrate my shoe and embed itself into a toe.  I'm diabetic and don't have feeling in my feet.  I did not know about the steel cutting a big hole in my toe.  Ends up I had to go to a special wound care center for treatment. I've been in a cast and a walking boot since then.  The cast gets cut off weekly for inspection and treatment.  Then it get's put back on. Fortunately I am healing. I'm hoping to have it off for good in a few weeks. 

During this time I've been working on a few details on the car. The other day I was playing with some stripe ideas.  I laid this one out with Duct Tape.  I wasn't sure that I wanted to stripe it. And, I didn't want to duplicate the Cobra stripes.  I do like this one and am considering it. I'm thinking of painting the car Viper Stryker Red and do the stripe in silver. 

I'm planning to take the car to Corvette's at Carlisle, PA this August 22-25. I want to see what people think of it and to see if there's any interest in a kit for it. 

I've been driving the car (still can drive it with my cast) around a dirt road at my shop.  I can tell that it's going to be a fun drive. The suspension is compliant, steering light, throttle response good, brakes, good, shifter good, driving position is very comfortable.   I'm very happy with the results of my build.  The size and shape is my favorite of the cars that I've built.  I'm having fun.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
7/28/19 1:03 p.m.

I like the stripe layout!

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
7/28/19 9:21 p.m.

Guys like you and the things you build are what brought me to GRM.  Beautiful in white sir - go enjoy that beautiful beast.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MFbUVuQY8AncCyoBK0KNqTvrd73O7qLmidtAHwmT2NOyXViLFmzHsrNx1lClydU0