1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
1/29/16 11:38 a.m.

In reply to Acme Lab Rat:

They are real Enkei. I painted them though.

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
1/29/16 11:48 a.m.

In reply to Cleverfrog:

Swoon! Those are great looking wheels. Also, thanks to you I'm trawling through CL looking for FC's.

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
1/29/16 12:10 p.m.

In reply to Acme Lab Rat:

GL with the search. I'm sure you know how hard it is to find an unmolested one.

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
1/29/16 12:22 p.m.

Yeah, too much of this kinda of crap out there.

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
2/1/16 11:31 a.m.

Well, I've begun the search for new housings. They turned out to be bad. If I can't find any decent shape ones I can order new ones from mazdaspeed for a killer price.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
2/1/16 1:27 p.m.
Cleverfrog wrote: In reply to Acme Lab Rat: They are real Enkei. I painted them though.

The stock wheels are "real Enkei" too.

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
2/4/16 10:49 a.m.

Cleaning with simple green Rotors are in great shape!

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
2/10/16 2:05 p.m.

Well, after lots of careful consideration things have been ordered. Irons are good so I got a porting template from mazdatrix. Rebuild kit is coming from Atkins rotary. BC coilovers are on the way as well to replace all of the blown shocks. Boy that escalated quickly. Lots of cleaning and prepping for the upcoming projects.

Skervey
Skervey Reader
2/14/16 1:16 p.m.

Wow that really did! Man shoukd be sweet when its back on the road!! I wait patiently!

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
2/17/16 8:12 a.m.

Got some parts in Coilovers were installed. Ride height isn't set truly yet. Friends were a big help . All the seals came as well as the brand new housings from mazdamotorsports. I ported one of the irons with the mazdatrix template but, I still have to do the other yet. Then, I'll be grind to fit the side seals. Couple more things to order such as, oil control ring springs and freeze plugs to plug the holes in the turbo housings. I've seen people use nickels or quarters (which ever it was) but I'd rather do it correctly.

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
2/19/16 12:13 p.m.

Porting is fun. Been doing it very slowly and taking my time to be careful. Both Primaries and one of the secondaries and auxiliaries are finished. Just one more iron to go.

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
2/22/16 1:07 p.m.

Ordered some polyurethane and made some motor mounts. Not the prettiest mounts but, they'll be better than stock. Also, fit the front rotor side seals so, I only need to do the rear rotor now. Since it was warm over the weekend, I picked up some high heat spray paint and painted the housings and irons. I'm waiting for one rotor bearing to come in so I can replace that.

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
2/24/16 10:11 a.m.

So, I was working on the engine bay and decided hey it's easy to access the fuel filter with the engine out. Got it our and looked at how it was in........... Previous owner put it in backwards............. The filter is even stamped "IN" and "OUT"......... What the.... Well, I put the new fuel hose in and put the filter in correctly. Maybe this will cure the fuel dash light and cutting out problem I was having. It definitely can't hurt.

PushrodRWD
PushrodRWD New Reader
2/24/16 10:53 a.m.

Cool car. Lots of great info. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/24/16 12:55 p.m.

Cool stuff. Some friends are going to rebuild their RX-8 motor this month or next. The magic spinning triangles make me nervous.

PushrodRWD
PushrodRWD New Reader
2/24/16 1:55 p.m.

In reply to Harvey: I've had two gen 1 rx7s and there is nothing to fear. Unless you stare at a gif of them operating. It is sort of the "hypnotoad" of the automotive world.

The thing that got me was the "thermal reactor" on the exhaust.

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
2/29/16 12:46 p.m.

LOTS of progress over the weekend. Started with turning down a piece of aluminum I've had for 8 years into a rotor bearing press. Then, I pressed in a new bearing. Installed my homemade 95A durometer poly trans mounts. Finally, I put everything together. I still need to put on the oil pump before I can put the front cover on. Half of me wants to just spend the money to replace all the brake hard lines and fuel hard lines. I also have a clutch alignment tool coming. So, I'm forecasting putting the engine back in this weekend. We're also trying to close on a house in roughly two weeks as well so, lots of time was eaten.

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
3/11/16 10:10 a.m.

Well, last night was a semi success. Only a couple bad things happened when putting the engine back in. 1: The cold start assist sensor or whatever it is (most of what I read says people don't even have it plugged in) had the wires ripped out. 2: The lower starter bolt threads on the rear iron were.... fudged. All in all not too bad. I'll have to pick up a tap for that. My friends were a great help installing the engine. Now the task becomes to put on all the accessories and fix the threads on the starter hole.

cleaning the spark plug holes for the plugs

it's almost in

Ahh...

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY LET'S GET IT RUNNING NOW!

PS: By the time it was all in it was about 12am..... Needless to say we're tired today.

Skervey
Skervey Reader
3/14/16 7:17 p.m.

Killer work man! looks good back in its home. Will it just be a simple plug and play to get it back running?

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
3/15/16 8:54 a.m.

In reply to Skervey:

Unfortunately it will just be plug n play to get it running. Maybe one day I can do a stand alone ecu.

Everything except the battery and intake tubes are in basically. I'm nervous to even try to start it at this point because I really don't want to have to mess with it to get it running haha. In the true spirit of grassroots, I used some leftover polycarbonate sheet and made an air diverting panel to help air flow over the radiator. Then painted it black. Not my best work by far but, it should function.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/15/16 12:03 p.m.

Some of the rear irons have different threads for the starter bolts.

I have one that is fine thread (like REALLY FINE) and one that is the same threads as the trans to engine bolts.

I bought both from Jim Ellis Mazda.

In other words, make sure you are using the right bolt in there!

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
3/15/16 2:02 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr:

I made sure to look after my friend told me the first few were boogered. The first 2-3 threads were just galled all up so i picked up 3 taps to make sure i got the right one. After the first few threads were chased it was all butter from there. Ill definitely remember that though!

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
4/26/16 8:46 a.m.

After many questions on rx7club I'm now breaking it in slowly.

Cleverfrog
Cleverfrog Reader
4/27/16 3:35 p.m.
crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/27/16 8:48 p.m.

Sounds great!

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n3xhRQPJDKo4qH5P8iS359GZlFlkiCt1IwmrUOmM56EmKtpsEDyrM9wyFtZ2ggaS