1 2 3
Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/5/16 5:26 p.m.

Hey guys,

So my friend Brad has a 1991 Mistubishi Montero LWB 4-door that he and another friend bought about a year ago as a parts car. Turns out while it needs work the truck was in too good of condition to tear it apart. I had asked about the truck about 3-4 months ago, and was getting ready to buy it, but then went on strike at work.

Well this past weekend I finally got a chance to go up to see it(he lives about an hour and a half away) with my son. While it really does need a lot of work my son loved it, and I think it will make a good fun project. The engine is a 3.0 litre V6 with an automatic trans. It is the RS trim which seems pretty stripped down, but it does have power windows, and door locks. No bouncy seat or cool incline-o-meter, but still a cool car. I forget the mileage, but it's pretty clean with little to no rust on the body, but some surface rust on the frame. The engine has a blown head gasket or two as there is oil in the coolant. I plan to do the timing belt and water pu,mp as well while we are in there. A couple of the outer door handles aren't working correctly, so we will have to figure that out as well. It seemed all the lights worked aside from the hazards,but that was likely due to the flasher unit being out as the seller had tried it in his 89 SWB Raider to see if that fixed his problem, and hasn't put it back in yet. The front bumper is twisted up some, but I think we can either straighten it or find a replacement.

Any words of advice for taking on such a project with a 14 year old that isn't very mechanical? I wasn't at his age either, but figured it out over time due to loving it, and necessity. My 10 year old son may even join in as he is very inquisitive, and is always in the garage with me. How do you guys handle some of the stuff that requires muscles that maybe a kid doesn't posses yet?

I forgot to get any pictures of it, but I hope to pick it up later this week with a fellow GRM members trailer. I will get some ASAP, and make a proper thread of this.

Chris

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/6/16 2:42 p.m.

Sounds like a great project. Having attempted this several times in the past few years, it definitely helps if it's something that he wants to drive in the end. Just helping dad work on his car isn't nearly as cool as working on something you'll ultimately be driving. Bonus points if it involves something 'extreme', like fire, explosions, or possibility of death . Maybe light off a bushing with the torch from time to time?

I still ended up doing some to most of the wrenching on a lot of the things we've done, mainly on stuff that takes abit more finesse or coordination. Since he was 12 or so, my kid had no idea how strong he had become, and would try to use 975ft-lb on an M6 fastener into aluminium. I try to just give him 1/4 drive stuff with stubby ratchets to minimize damage . Trucks are better for him than Hondas or bicycles, but he's learning finesse now too.

I've also been trying to steer mine to find better references than youtube for procedures. I was proud when he actually opened the Haynes manual on his own to look things up! He's finally at the point where I'm doing more supervision/ consultation. He wasn't a real natural take-things-apart kid like I was, so this is a big win.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
7/18/16 7:48 a.m.

Still haven't had a chance to pick up the Montero, but my son seems very excited about getting it. I say that because he asked me at least 3-4 times this weekend about going to get it. The seller was away on a camping trip this past week, so we weren't able to get it. I may try to get it this week.

Agent98
Agent98 New Reader
7/18/16 1:42 p.m.

Great chance to bond with and teach your son

Here's my advice:

1.Get a shop manual/factory service manual for that vehicle 2.Make a list of things you need to do - involve your son in this most 14 year olds don't think in a project fashion 3.Make a list of some fun things he'd like to see on the truck -not a $25,000 show truck, but stereo, maybe a low cost paint job, used wheels etc... 4.Set some time to work on the truck say SAT 9-11 AM each SAT 5.Work down your list

It's something you & he will remember for the rest of your lives. He can see you in action, making decisions, how to use tools, how to tell when some part is worn out, etc...priceless experience.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/3/16 5:43 a.m.

Thanks to fellow grm'r imgon the Montero arrived last night. Now it's time for a plan of attack, and finding parts. Thankfully we have lots of time to work on this.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/3/16 8:45 a.m.

Oh yeah we also need a cool name for this project. I'm not very clever when it come to this sort of thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Agent98
Agent98 New Reader
8/3/16 9:02 a.m.

Mon-terror -but only if he agrees not to drive it like a terror

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
8/3/16 9:57 a.m.

As a fellow 1st-gen Montero owner, SUCH EXCITE.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/3/16 10:03 a.m.

My son loves Pokemon. Maybe PokeMontero?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
8/3/16 12:48 p.m.

Will this truck be slow?
If yes, it could be the Pokey Montero (PokeMontero)

That big white box does sort of look like a Fridgeaire.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/3/16 12:55 p.m.

I can't see how it could possibly be fast, so yes I think it could be Pokey. My 74 REPU is nicknamed Gumby.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
8/3/16 2:04 p.m.

Pokey is also a donkey and like this truck a donkey is useful for carrying gear over rough terrain.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/3/16 6:15 p.m.

Okay, so the right rear door won't open from either door handle. How would you guys suggest getting it open?

Also any of you guys familiar with the rear seats in these trucks. I was told that it would fold into a bed of sorts, but I can't figure out how. Any hints on this?

Chris

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
8/3/16 6:50 p.m.
Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/3/16 6:53 p.m.

Wrong vintage. This truck doesn't have a third row. 91 is the first generation I believe.

Chris

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/3/16 7:21 p.m.

Alright, we figured out the doors. Right rear wouldn't open from either handle. Left rear would only open with the inside handle. Turns out they only needed some lube and working back and forth. I was worried something was broken, but we lucked out. Also the child safety switch was on in the right rear.

The hood latch was a bit sticky, but with some lube and figuring out that the pull handle inside was pulled too far at some point and when it went back in it was rotated 90 degrees which wouldn't allow it to fully return to its normal resting point.

The skeeters were getting too thick, so we just came in. I want to get it into the garage this weekend and then we can work longer than normal due to no skeeters.

Chris

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/4/16 5:00 p.m.

Any tips or tricks to removal of old window tint? I got some off sort of in one piece, but it left behind some residue. Mostly worried about the rear window as I would like to avoid damage to the defroster grid.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
8/4/16 8:07 p.m.

Do what Karl says here:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/removing-window-tint/28121/page1/

Karl professionally installs tint in FL.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/4/16 9:28 p.m.

The undercarriage is pretty rusty, but as far as a New England car is concerned this thing is rust free. We have different standards. I was surprised that this thing has coil springs in the rear. Pretty slick. I messed with some of the electrical systems tonight after putting the battery from our camper in the truck to move it around a bit. I sorted the rear hatch lock button as it wasn't working. Typical of both my old 1990 Mitsu Wagonvan, and my Delica the switch for the rear hatch lock had a bunch of carbon build up. I cleaned it up, and put a smear of dielectric grease on the contact points, and all is well. Right directional wasn't working, but had a burned out bulb. New/used bulb, and they work now, but seem pretty lazy unless the car is running. Hazards are the same. Might be a weak battery, but I doubt it. Stereo works. Wipers work, but washer pump doesn't appear to be working. Washer bottle is cracked, and gross looking so we will have to figure out whet to do about that.

On with the pics:

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/4/16 9:31 p.m.

More pics:

Cool wing windows, not seen on modern cars:

Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
8/4/16 9:54 p.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: Cool wing windows, not seen on modern cars:

My '96 XJ had wing windows that didn't open, easily the most evil thing I can imagine.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/5/16 7:13 a.m.

Strange bit I figured out yesterday. The horn only works if the ignition switch is in the on position. I've never seen that before.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
8/5/16 8:13 a.m.

I love the spartan, utility of the whole thing.
Automatic and power windows seem like the only options. I figure AC was standard.

Is the Silver in the dash a CB?

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/5/16 8:19 a.m.

Yes it's a cb radio, but not handset or antenna. Not sure what to do about it. The stereo is very modern and has Bluetooth. Figured out it does have a tilt steering column and power door locks. They work by pushing or pulling either front door lock and it actuates the rest of the door locks. It was acting very strangly last night, but it could be because it hasn't been used in a while.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
8/5/16 9:39 p.m.

After work today we sat in the Montero and wrote down a list of things that need to be done to the truck. It was a long list, and I'm sure we missed some stuff. Good thing we have a few years before he's driving. Also I sanded down the mounting bracket on one of the mirrors and masked it off quickly before leaving for hockey camp with my younger son. Showed the older one how to put some light coats of black trim paint on. Came home and it looked pretty good. Probably should have sanded the corrosion off better, but it looked better as it is all black now. Need to do the other one now, and wash the years of crud off of the plastic surround of the mirror.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8TxbW5sNm25VavxRNY8OFJD6L5AG2OZjZx192zDAd3v2V6YGhOtwWjCbSp4MrTfF