1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13
Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/1/20 7:09 p.m.

Evap canister was sacrificed to make chassis accept the body.  By sacrificed i mean i cut into it and didn't know till charcoal spilled out.  Had no idea they took the park neutral switch but that would explain why the shifter isn't hooked up.  I had honestly never been under it.  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/1/20 7:45 p.m.

no worries!!! and i cant blame you for not going under there. its dirty. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/2/20 9:44 a.m.

I low balled a seller on eBay and got these. Now we'll be able to see the loser hand model behind us.

03Panther
03Panther New Reader
1/2/20 6:18 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

"Pretty" brake lines would sure look good, but that looks GREAT considering what it cost ya! Good work.

Dusterbd13-michael
1/2/20 9:06 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Yeah, having the brakes sorted and bled for less than $8 is a good thing

And as nohome once said, perfect is the enemy of finished. Or something like that.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/2/20 11:15 a.m.

Today I saw this "widened" Falcon Future at Caffeine and Octane and thought of Darth Nader. Very subtle bump-out of the top of the fenders to house gigantic Sportsmans front and back. I think this build looks perfectly awesome with just the cut wheel wells, but thought I'd share anyway since I've never seen anything like this before.

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
2/2/20 5:28 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

Today I saw this "widened" Falcon Future at Caffeine and Octane and thought of Darth Nader. Very subtle bump-out of the top of the fenders to house gigantic Sportsmans front and back. I think this build looks perfectly awesome with just the cut wheel wells, but thought I'd share anyway since I've never seen anything like this before.

What is that on the hood...... LOL????    and no , I wouldn't want to stir up this hornets' nest.....pretty dang subtle I must say

Stampie
3/21/20 1:20 p.m.

Thinking Darth Nader has been abandoned?  Nope just others things come to the forefront. I picked up an extra intake a while back and figured I'd make it pretty while Michael did the important things.

Sent a bunch a pictures to Michael making sure I only cut off what wasn't needed. Included these AC horns in honor of our bother Corvair builder may he finally get it done one day. 

At this point I said well no going back now there's a big hole in the intake.

If you watch a YouTube video and some young whippersnapper says to use a sawzall just trust him. Not often but sometimes they actually know what they're talking about. I started with a Dremel but soon put that down for the sawzall which was 10 times faster.

Everything cut off and now it's soaking in the bathtub in Irish Spring body wash and hot water.

Here's all the cut offs that I'll use to try and fill in all the holes. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/20 2:33 p.m.

1.  Respect the horns.  I appreciate the mention.

2.  Is there a performance gain with that manifold shave, or is it cosmetic-only?

3.  I will post an update soon.

Dusterbd13-michael
3/21/20 2:36 p.m.

Ive been slowly amassing the parts we need. Slowly. 

As stampie said, other things at the forefront. 

Stampie
3/21/20 2:53 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

It's cosmetic unless your counting the performace gains from the ounces lost like the Nelsons.  The valve covers are coming next.  The bath soak got some of the grime off but still a lot left.  Think I'll need to take it to a car wash to get it really clean inside and out.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/21/20 3:01 p.m.

What's the follow-up on these trimmed parts?  You have material for patching the holes?

Then blend the cut areas down and then sand smooth?  Paint afterward?

I know there are tools for smoothing and repairing 3d-printed parts.  I wonder if the same could be used in this case.

Stampie
3/21/20 3:20 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

I'll use a 100 watt soldering iron to plastic weld the cut off pieces into the holes.  Probably use the grinder to rough smooth then thin bondo coat and sand for paint.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/21/20 4:27 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Cool.  Makes me look at the TVR valve cover and think, "Man, that's got a lot of excess plastic."

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
3/21/20 6:02 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to TVR Scott :

I'll use a 100 watt soldering iron to plastic weld the cut off pieces into the holes.  Probably use the grinder to rough smooth then thin bondo coat and sand for paint.

Stampster would you bless us with a (sub thread?)blow by blow of all this plastic meltingsmereingsanding nonsense.......please? 

Stampie
3/21/20 6:13 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Sure I'll do something but it's all over YouTube also. At least that's where I learned. I just realized I sound so much like Lil Stampie. "Dad it's all over YouTube!"

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/21/20 6:32 p.m.

20191229_143220 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

Pants.

759NRNG
759NRNG UltraDork
3/21/20 6:37 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

Sure I'll do something but it's all over YouTube also. At least that's where I learned. I just realized I sound so much like Lil Stampie. "Dad it's all over YouTube!"

K kool, and while your at it please explain how you have this and PeteG doing your evilness while the T&A awaits you and Lil back at the 'ranch'??? sorry for the thread jack DB13...

Stampie
3/21/20 6:46 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Ok Darth Nader was offered to me by Patrick but I was most likely going to turn it down because I didn't have time to do it.  Dusterdb13 called me a couple of hours later saying he wanted to build it but not own it.  So he's building it at his own pace while we work on the projects (T&A, K30, Lil Stampie's Audi) back at the ranch.  I"m actually 7 hours from Darth Nader but I'll deliver these parts this summer.  Pete G bought the DSM at my urging and with my promise to help him however I could.  We're both of the age that DSM was our high school love affair car 

Stampie
3/21/20 6:51 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

Thank you.  It's tough owning a car you love but can't see when you walk out the door.  I need to be reminded how cool it is.  Plus looking at that I think wagon wheels just look right on it.  Just enough hint of what lies under it's skin. 

Stampie
3/22/20 4:52 p.m.

Quick trip to the car wash and $2 later these are much cleaner. 

Before

After

Stampie
3/24/20 4:04 p.m.

I call this picture Death by a thousand hot pieces of plastic.

I took a grinder to the intake to rough it in shape wise.

Before

After

I realize that I need sanding disc and Bondo. Think I'll see what I can get delivered from eBay. 

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
3/24/20 4:54 p.m.

Possibly worth noting, but I understand that shaved truck intakes are far less resistant to boost than untouched ones. Not sure if you're worried about such things. 

Stampie
3/24/20 5:28 p.m.

Good point.  I'm guessing we can have a back up.  Shouldn't be too hard to change out.  I will be extra careful in my plastic welding.  Could probaby do it where the plastic plug is recessed under the hole.  I have time to think about this.

Stampie
3/25/20 9:02 a.m.

There were two of these exposed.

They bothered me plus I could use them as filler rod so they came out.

I ordered some sanding disc off eBay. They are supposed to be here by the 30th. Was looking at Bondo but it seems the 1 gallon doesn't come with the hardener.  I'll order some today. 

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ijD15ORlO9UswzNdY7A1R9TXDhpQOBNMHzNxDeaAB5E338lQ5gerUZMiTUdMZifo