1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 36
maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/15/19 3:19 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I'll know next weekend, which will be a doozy since I'm doing Gridlife at Road Atlanta. I am loading up Datsaniti with tires, tools, and a sleeping bag, driving to the dragstrip that Friday after work with my eyes set on 12's. After drags, I'm going up the interstate to Road Atlanta to party at Gridlife and sleep in my friend's bus. Saturday morning I'm racing the tandem-style autocross, followed by the Showcase which Datsaniti got accepted into. Sunday I'll recover from the hangover and second-hand vape poisoning. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/15/19 3:24 p.m.

12s? Aw, crap....

maschinenbau
8/15/19 3:39 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

With the amount of things that went wrong and still hitting 13.6, I have to believe fixing those things will help a lot. 

Plus, I put bigger jets in devil

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/15/19 3:51 p.m.

The most dangerous man in any fight is the one with nothing to lose.

And you my friend have already said you've got nothing to lose...

maschinenbau
8/16/19 10:11 a.m.

VQ's are junkyard commodities right now and mine is stock, so replacement would be pretty easy! I do have a track record of blowing up engines in blue station wagons mere weeks before the Challenge...

Anyway here's some more autocross pictures

maschinenbau
8/17/19 4:02 p.m.

Came across this old gem from back when I was getting it street legal.

Luckily the lizard didn't ask nearly as many questions.

maschinenbau
8/19/19 8:53 a.m.

Last time I went drag racing, tech inspection didn't like my filing cabinet drawer battery box. It wasn't sealed enough since I only tacked the seams together. This tub of kitty litter and a strap oughta do the trick.

I also bevel cut the hater pipe

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/19/19 12:34 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

grinder without guard is best grinder.

maschinenbau
8/19/19 1:18 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Just out of frame - flip flops that have been zip-tied together. It's HOT in South

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/21/19 9:22 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

I also bevel cut the hater pipe

I like that a lot. 

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
8/21/19 9:56 a.m.

Shirley you can find some inexpensive tail light lenses for this show and go car?

maschinenbau
8/21/19 10:00 a.m.

In reply to OjaiM5 :

I wish. My plan is to re-apply the tailight tape right before the challenge because the red pigment keeps fading. New pair is $108, which I'll put on after the Challenge. Can't find any used.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/21/19 1:22 p.m.

Reminds me, I promised to post some pics of the ghetto-but-very-effective tailights on the760  S-Car-Go

These are e-bay specials installed with a big hole saw and construction adhesive.  Glued and painted a piece of flat plastic over the disintegrating Volvo tailights. Could have got by with just two of them had budget been an issue.

For some reason, I find the plate to be a bit rude.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
8/21/19 1:45 p.m.

I bet if you bought a 3D printer (tool, so not in the budget), and 3-D printed your own taillight lenses using a transparent or translucent plastic, you could put your own Datsaniti logo in the lens.  That would be super cool, eh!?

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
8/21/19 2:01 p.m.

Skinny - that is a killer idea!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/19 2:07 p.m.
SkinnyG said:

I bet if you bought a 3D printer (tool, so not in the budget), and 3-D printed your own taillight lenses using a transparent or translucent plastic, you could put your own Datsaniti logo in the lens.  That would be super cool, eh!?

I was about to suggest the same thing - but then I thought that while it would be cool, it wouldn't address the budget problem since I expect those custom lenses would cost at least as much as the pricey replacements. Could still be a cool thing to try once the car's retired from Challenge competition.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/21/19 2:19 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

If you can get a CAD model put together from the passenger's side I can mirror it and print the driver's side for you.  Material is roughly $0.05/gram for transparent red on my resin machine.

maschinenbau
8/22/19 8:55 a.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

Generous offer! I am a CAD designer, so I could definitely make that happen. I'll reach out once I get to that point.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/24/19 3:40 p.m.

you made it onto hoonigans instagram 

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1jkFwVB4E-/

maschinenbau
8/25/19 1:53 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

berkeleyin A! I don't have instagram, but if I did, it would only be for my builds. Gridlife was AWESOME. What a weekend. I went drag racing, auto-crossing, and car showing with a bunch of other fellow degenerate young gearheads, and got to watch time attack, drifting, and some music in between.

Friday afternoon, I loaded the wagon and slogged 80 miles through rush hour traffic to hit dragstrip test-n-tune. This time armed with a 75 shot of nitrous and a AAA card. Tech was much more thorough this time, but I passed easily.

It's STILL not quite into 12's, but there was much spinning into 2nd this time. I think I can go 12 with this same shot, if I'm more careful with throttle through 1st gear. I was flooring it from launch, then spraying around 4500 and it just let go until 2nd. You can hear the the rev-limiter bouncing for far too long before the gear change. I can't believe how much BS this drivetrain is putting up with. I am still letting the auto shift itself. AFR's seem safe with this jet combo 0.046 N / 0.034 F.

One guy from the crowd came and found me just to let me know my car was shooting flames from the exhaust between shifts. FLAMES. From the EXHAUST. That's all I've ever wanted, life basically complete now.

https://youtu.be/Io8CmsksHfo

Then I put the street tires back on, loaded the wagon back up, and drove over to Road Atlanta for Gridlife South. I camped in my buddy's shuttle bus. Here's our accommodations for the weekend. It was rad.

Saturday morning I put on the Experimental Challenge-Winning Tire Strategy (ECWTS) and hit the Gridlife Autocross over at Turn 7. This was a very tight 30-40 sec course. I think with some pressure adjustments, ECWTS can be successful. This was basically break-in for the tires. I spun once in an epic way and tore up the grass pretty bad while cracking my front air dam from the impact with the edge of the pavement. Datsaniti just puts up with it. I was only about 2.5s off FTD, which was set by an INSANE time attack prepped C6 Vette that spent most of the weekend tearing up Road Atlanta. I feel good.

Here's my fastest run: https://youtu.be/RcGcVGfOWhk

The rest of the weekend Datsaniti was parked in the Showcase pavilion where it got a good bit of attention. This is definitely the crowd for this type of car. I also got to help a 300ZX owner do an emergency radiator swap in the parking lot.

This was also my first time watching drifting, which I gotta say, is wayyy cooler in person than I ever thought it would be. Makes me wonder how Datsaniti would look slideways...

Later that night we saw Soulja Boy perform, which meant I waxed poetic about the good old days, like the first time a girl grinded up on me at the high school homecoming dance to the serenades of Lil Jon, Usher, and of course, Soulja Boy. Certainly not my cup of tea, but enough beer makes anything good.

If you get the chance to go to Gridlife, do it, and do it up big time. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
8/25/19 2:07 p.m.

Looks like a lot of fun!  With the MPH you're pulling in the quarter mile, low twelves might even be possible with a good launch.

AngryCorvair
8/25/19 5:22 p.m.

Dude?  Dude.  Dude!  112mph is pretty stout!  Get that berkeleyer to hook and you’re probably 12.40’s.  The nitrous is definitely kicking ass from 1/8 to 1/4, going from 8.7x at 86mph to 13.2 at 112mph is a strong 2nd half.

maschinenbau
8/25/19 9:52 p.m.

It's really hard to tell when it's hooking or not. It pulls dead straight and very stable. Bouncing the rev limiter is my only indication because the exhaust is so damn loud. 

Next time I plan to air the tires down some more and try modulating throttle while spraying. The abrupt on/off of nitrous I think is breaking traction.

...Or just spray off the line and pray to the conrod gods?

AngryCorvair
8/25/19 10:43 p.m.

Does the drag tire manufacturer have a website with tech info re. initial setup (inflation vs power/weight, etc)?  

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
8/26/19 1:12 p.m.

You were spotted by the guys in the "photo gallery of Grid Life"  Post

1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 36

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YMWTSjSOqXgbGAg0VN6fXajRt2f2cdWJYnSNaRGcFSHGe2twBBE8R1JaCCQcHZff