1 2
Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
5/20/19 12:41 a.m.

Hey Everyone,

Been a while since Conrad or I posted... about anything really. However, We are -finally- able to share with you what we have been sitting on for almost two months now.  Since Conrad is better in front of the camera, I'll let him give you the short story.

If you are still with us, here is (short) Long version:

On Tuesday March 26th, I got tagged to this Book of Faces post in one of the Corvette groups (I have removed names to protect the innocent)

With in 30min of him posting I was able to message him, and asked if he was serious, thinking that maybe it was just an outburst of frustration.  He replied that he was indeed serious, and he needed to move the car quick.  It was sitting at his mechanics, he had no where to store it, and didn't have the money to put into fixing.  Even though this was his dream car that he bought only a year before, he figured his only options were to get it moved by the weekend or have it towed to the scrap yard (which he did not want to see). He figured he would only get a a couple hundred bucks scrap, and it would be better to give it to someone he hoped would fix it.

Not sure if this was some sort of scam, I asked for pictures and the VIN. The P.O. sent a pic from the dealer that he bough the car from and one when he got it home a year ago.  The P.O. said he never got the title from the Dealer he bought it from (BIG red flag) Next he sent me the VIN from his registration, I ran it through a Corvette decoder and it was garbage. What he gave me was 1Z8797S****** and to be a correct Corvette VIN it should have been 1Z8789S****** .  (This also sent up a red flag) I asked the P.O. to double check the VIN on the car. He replied that he could, but it was all the way uptown and going to be hard for him to get to. (another red flag).   He then asked me where the VIN was on the car.  It was that point I need to go see for myself.

Wednesday March 27, I took the afternoon off of work and drove the hour to where his mechanics shop was. Partly to see what I was dealing with, and partly to see if the car actually existed at all, as I was still had strong suspicions this was all a scam.  I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it did exist... but it was gorgeous!

but it did indeed have an air cooled oil pan..

After taking pictures for my own reference I call the Wisconsin DMV and had them run the VIN on the car through their system. I came out clean, and as something similar happened when we bought the Dirtball... I figure it was just a clerical error. I then messaged the PO, and said I would pick up the Car on Saturday if he could go down to the DMV and get a copy of his TITLE before then.  He went to the DMV on that Thursday to try to get a copy but ran out of time, before he had to get to work. Leaving me a message saying he tried... but there is an issue with it and the VINs don't match (which I was already aware of)

I called the DMV on my Lunch hour Friday March 29th. I Laid out the scenario for the vehicle services department, with the two VIN numbers. The agent said both VINs were valid in their system. However, it looked like a clerical error on their part, and the PO could expect to see revised title in the mail in 10 to 14 days.  I was thrilled, not only had I got the problem resolved but I just saved the PO $25 getting a copy of the his title.

Saturday the 30th, a buddy of mine and our wives took his truck and another friend's borrowed trailer the hour over to pick up the Vette.  I met the PO for the first time, we signed a bill of sale I made up and as an extra thank you for his generosity and slight condolences losing his dream  car I drew him a cartoon of the car as the Mach 5 (as I knew from FB he was Speed Racer and Comic book fan)

So, we parked it in Dirtball's garage stall... waiting for the title.

10 days, 14 days, two and half weeks went past with nothing.  I called, and called and called... and every time got the same answer of: 

"Wow, there is a lot of paper work here. We are going to have to review this and get back to you"

with the follow up of:

"The VIN is getting fixed, but there are some other things needing fixed too... just give it more time"

Finally, the Corrected Title arrived to the PO last weekend, and we met him Tuesday May 14th to sign it over.  So it's a done deal... Free Corvette.

A lot of back story, but now for the fun part.  A fellow forum member and I are hoping to build this car for the 2020 challenge.  I have a plan, and have some parts but that will all be reviled as time goes on. I hope everyone enjoys following along!

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
5/20/19 12:45 a.m.

Also, let me know what you think of the new 'Dead Hill Garage' Title card at the front of the video... I just created it and am pretty happy, but would love feed back.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/20/19 6:43 a.m.

I love the sexy lines of a C3. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/20/19 6:54 a.m.

The dead Hill garage logo was awesome, and the chick whispering very much reminded me of either a Pretty Reckless or hail storm song opening. I think we need to figure out which song that was and have that be your new theme song.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
5/20/19 7:56 a.m.

I hate you.

Not really.

Nice score, love me some C3.

When are people going to notice that I like cars and give me cool stuff.

Oh wait, I'm on my second gift mustang from a friend.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/20/19 8:06 a.m.

DUDE. I love C3s and that's a really nice one. Awesome score.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/19 8:23 a.m.

I know that they are generally frowned upon in the Corvette world, but I really like 1979s. Maye it's because I really started paying attention to other cars besides the '66 Mustang around that time.I love the way that the rear window angle flows down to the spoilerless tail light panel.

That car is a fantastic score!

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
5/20/19 10:41 a.m.

Wow,  you really scored on that one.  What a cool car.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
5/20/19 10:54 a.m.

Almost too nice to challenge, could be a money maker as a runner.  Your call, though. Great find, most of us would have run away. Way to go. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/20/19 11:18 a.m.

Love that white interior. Nice score!

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
5/20/19 12:42 p.m.
conesare2seconds said:

Almost too nice to challenge, could be a money maker as a runner.  Your call, though. Great find, most of us would have run away. Way to go. 

With the original engine junk, any tangible value it had as a collector Corvette is gone.  That said, you are correct it is soooooo clean, and I want to do right by it.  I'm not going to do anything crazy like gut the interior or anything. Just a healthy high compression small block, an overdrive, and suspension tuning... oh and some sticky challenge rubber for those OEM wheels.

Oh and as far as 'running away'... lol yeah. Every time something fishy came up, something else pointed to being legit.  I had to keep remembering that I really had nothing invested other than time... and if someone showed up with a flatbed to haul it off, it was ok.laugh

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
5/20/19 12:48 p.m.
Woody said:

I know that they are generally frowned upon in the Corvette world, but I really like 1979s. Maye it's because I really started paying attention to other cars besides the '66 Mustang around that time.I love the way that the rear window angle flows down to the spoilerless tail light panel.

That car is a fantastic score!

Woody, it is really funny. I looked at a (rough) 79 before bought the Dirtball. But it needed too much work for the money, and I preferred the 'sugar scoop' rear window and the earlier dash.

This car however with the B&W two tone and the white interior... it has reached apoint in time where I think it will be really appreciated. I know -I- have fallen in love with it!

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
5/20/19 4:17 p.m.
Stampie said:

I love the sexy lines of a C3. 

Guilty pleasure: they look so good shiny devil

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
5/20/19 4:23 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

The dead Hill garage logo was awesome, and the chick whispering very much reminded me of either a Pretty Reckless or hail storm song opening. I think we need to figure out which song that was and have that be your new theme song.

I was bummed, It was actually raining yesterday, and the crows were squawking  in the trees too. It would have been perfect for the audio, but I was too busy trying to fix the broken garage door to get the recording. 

Luckily my wife was willing to let me record her for the voice  track and I think it worked out well!

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
5/20/19 4:45 p.m.

This year's challenge subclass is CAM just saying...

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/19 4:54 p.m.
pimpm3 said:

I totally forgot about that.  

Nice score, i can’t imagine being first to this when it’s hard enough to be first to a $300 5.3

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
5/20/19 5:18 p.m.

*golfclap

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
5/20/19 5:36 p.m.

Your interior color is Oyster, I believe. 

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/20/19 6:56 p.m.

You have done well.

(Understatement of the year)

A FREE CORVETTE? Good for you!  (Off to Craigslist, just in case.)

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/20/19 8:58 p.m.

Do what you want with that car. Chevy made more 79s than any other year. Two engine choices: L48 and L82. Slow and less slow. They became boulevard cruisers.

Still, I'd park it next to my 75 in the driveway.

Great score!

My favorite movie and the reason I love Corvettes:

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
5/20/19 9:31 p.m.
Patrick said:
pimpm3 said:

I totally forgot about that.  

Nice score, i can’t imagine being first to this when it’s hard enough to be first to a $300 5.3

Sadly my co-driver and I talked about it and decided timing wise 2020 works out best for both of us, time and budget wise.  Plus it lets me focus on doing what I want to do rather than slapping something together. (Also gives more time to create content for you guys )

As far as getting to it first... yeah I was surprised, to say the least. The PO also had someone from Cali that runs a Vette parts shop offer to have a flatbed there the next day. I thought I had lost out at least once or twice.

However I think the fact that I was close, and came in with intentions of getting it running again, and not parting it out or flipping it was a bonus.  Cars become like pets and people want them to go to good home.

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
5/20/19 9:38 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette :

Wasn't 75 the lowest hp year? I cannot remember off the top of my head...

Yes you are correct though, late 70s vettes are dogs. But, I'm thinking not terrible heads, intake, cam, and about 10:1 compression should wake up an old 350.

Not this one of course as it leaked oil & coolant all over trailer, and the garage floor surprise

jfryjfry
jfryjfry HalfDork
5/20/19 9:44 p.m.

Would you really have asked him to pay the $25 title fee??    Nice score!

GarageGorilla
GarageGorilla New Reader
5/20/19 9:50 p.m.
jfryjfry said:

This guy had the seller jump through all kinds of hoops to GIVE him a free Corvette and he didnt even have the decency to cough up a couple hundred just as a small gesture of thanks. You bet he would've made him pay the $25.

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
5/20/19 10:10 p.m.
jfryjfry said:

Lol, no I would have paid for the new title. I was just happy is was getting fixed just through the DMVs own process 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YYznnfO5vphLsgbAxMzKr6hl6iBTCtUho7QAMtpPIMKfLmnq26l7dh6GdEBzaspJ