GrizzTheDriver
GrizzTheDriver New Reader
5/29/17 4:49 p.m.

so i bought my car a little over two years ago from my cousin for $400 and a new battery, trailer-ed it from Washington state where i used to live down here to good old Las Vegas (Henderson really but not a lot of people know where that's at). i bought the car in hope of teaching myself how to drive a manual which i have never done before, but now i do. i have never heard of the mirage so after some quick searches i realized there wasn't a lot of aftermarket support in the bolt on category. finally i came across Mirageforums.net and found a small community dedicated to these cars and had a lot of ideas and support to modify the cars to really make them stand out. And so with about a year of research and slowly gathering parts i started my first stage of upgrades. Surprisingly a lot of the upgrades and parts can be sourced from many models of other Mitsubishi. Bigger front brakes using 99 eclipse GSX front caliper are a two piston design compared to my single piston front, brembro slotted rotors fit the same lug pattern and fit up better with the bigger calipers. with that i upgraded my brake master cylinder using one out of a 3000gt 1" cylinder compared to my 3/4" stock. i have many other upgrades to post as well but when i have time i will post more.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
5/29/17 10:12 p.m.

If I'd had the chance i could have given you some more common junkyard finds that those front brakes also exist on. I haven't personally looked into it but i suspect there is or was a lot of aftermarket for Mirages, just not in North America. There are a lot of interesting JDM engines that will go into them.

Post some pics when you get a chance!

GrizzTheDriver
6/10/17 1:00 a.m.
Vigo wrote: If I'd had the chance i could have given you some more common junkyard finds that those front brakes also exist on. I haven't personally looked into it but i suspect there is or was a lot of aftermarket for Mirages, just not in North America. There are a lot of interesting JDM engines that will go into them. Post some pics when you get a chance!

Well i know i sound dumb but i have been trying to post pic but not sure how to i have an imgur account with my photos but not sure how to add. Can you help me out?

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
6/10/17 5:50 a.m.

The tutorial of picture posting and other "quirks"

Welcome. I look forward to seeing the Mirage.

GrizzTheDriver
6/13/17 6:21 p.m.

So after the brake upgrade i decided to get some more work done but i couldn't find the parts i wanted to do first, with that i headed back to the mirageforums to see what i could do and found a fabricator that was local and knowledgeable about our cars. After some ideas and discussion i decided on a mild power and stability package. It consisted of fender bars that mount under the front fenders to help prevent flexing side to side roll when conering. Solid mount strut bars to keep the front and rear suspension nice and stiff (as seen in the picture above) Had a custom made 4 to 1 header of my fabricators design the is tubed in the way of the firing order to help with exhaust flow straight into the stainless steel downpipe that connects to the preexisting 2.25 inch exhaust back to my two chamber knock of flow master exhaust with a stainless tip. This is the final look of it ceramic coated black with black wrap also forgot to mention and fitted custom cold air intake too. So to make a few other mods he bored out the intake opening and upgraded from the stock 55mm throttle body to the 3000gt throttle body of 60mm for a little more airflow. And the last thing that was added befor this first round of upgrades was a shifter change out from the stock mirage one to one pulled out of a 2001 eclipse. It throws a little shorter than the stock. I have since done some more upgrades too but ill have to make another post as i am a stay at home dad and time is limited for now. Here is a link to my fabricators blog post about me and my car too give it a read. He has more detailed pictures and dives deeper than i can explain. http://thefabricatorseries.com/build-blogs//a-good-start-to-autocross. Anyway if you guys and gals have any question or comment or help just post up here and ill do my best to answer/read your post. Thanks for now

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
6/13/17 6:31 p.m.

Welcome from the other guy in Henderson, NV.

GrizzTheDriver
6/13/17 11:24 p.m.
EvanR wrote: Welcome from the other guy in Henderson, NV.

Sweet nice to know there is another local on here.

GrizzTheDriver
10/17/17 3:56 p.m.

so its update time just a few small ones while im still trying to find some seat and what not. but i got an autocross rollbar. also a custom bracket fro a rear sway bar off a 99 integra that my fabricator hooked up for me  also got my valve cover fabricated to accept individual coils instead of the two coil packs that come stock.  and that's about it for now.

mitech09
mitech09
7/14/19 7:00 p.m.

In reply to GrizzTheDriver :

hi doing the same thing got a mirage and doing some mods like the coil thing that you did what kind of coil you use and how did you do the harness for timing 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mycg4lMpqJslXCwbIPJXMjbAg5K3Fqwbv2y8ZecDwrkquTfozI8WfBBKZunWtTQC