1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 56
Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/30/19 7:16 p.m.

Thanks guys!  The car is fun but traction is hard to find. It’s got a stock open diff at the moment. I’m afraid I’ll have to take on the rear subframe/diff swap/bushings/chassis reinforcement phase of the project sooner than I was hoping. It really won’t be much of a performer with this current open diff. 

Edit: just watched a few YouTube videos on the process and I’m less intimidated, maybe even a little excited. If these other kids can lay on their back and weld some plates in place, so can I! :)

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/31/19 8:44 a.m.

In reply to Lof8 :

If it's anything like the e46 rear suspension, it's really not bad. I had the entire rear end off the car on my old one more than I would have liked. The only tricky thing was application specific parts, I'm thinking the e36 is more universal, but my e46 the axles were different between auto and manual, as well as 323 or 353 vs 330, so just double check any part numbers for your swap. 

The reinforcements I haven't done, but they don't look too bad. 

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
1/31/19 4:29 p.m.

I'm looking forward to seeing the building "build"

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/31/19 5:25 p.m.
Petrolburner said:

I'm looking forward to seeing the building "build"

Me too!  I’ll post progress pics when progress happens. Right now, still waiting on the engineered drawings so they can apply for the permits. Should have drawings any day now.  They gave me a timeline of “about 3 months” to finished building when I signed the papers. So far my plans include Rust Bullet floor topping, 2 post lift, and an 8’x40’ loft.  But...one step at a time as money allows. 

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/2/19 10:23 a.m.

Ground controls are on in the rear now too!  I also dialed the brake bias more frontward and I’m getting happier with the boosterless system. Hopefully some EBC yellow pads all around get it feeling perfect. 

Next step is an alignment. Then I can start tearing into the m3 subframe and diff laying in the garage and get it ready to go in. 

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/2/19 11:32 a.m.

Why an alignment before the rear subframe comes out?  Wait and then do a four wheel all at once?

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/2/19 11:34 a.m.
glueguy said:

Why an alignment before the rear subframe comes out?  Wait and then do a four wheel all at once?

Stuff is all wonky right now (mostly rear toe and camber angles) and I want to drive it without eating tires. A legit corner balance/alignment will happen after the subframe. 

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/6/19 7:08 p.m.

The chassis brace from a convertible is a common upgrade for non-convertibles. However, it wouldn’t clear the V8 exhaust. So I hacked it up until it did. I’m sure it lost some strength, but better than nothin. 

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/8/19 9:44 p.m.

Waiting for some brake pads to show up. Why not test the green wheels?

Ordered some adjustable rear camber arms from Nerp tech. They had this interesting little gadget on their site too. Might have thrown it in the cart as well. 

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/12/19 5:43 p.m.

Well, I decided Glueguy had the right idea. Rather than align this thing twice, I’m diving right into the subframe /LSD/swap/bushings/chassis reinforcements. Don’t let anyone tell you that removing subframe bushings is anything other than the worst job in the world. If you watch the YouTube videos, they set them on fire and then cut to an empty subframe. That’s because they don’t want you to see them struggle for 3 hours to get them out. For me, the fire did nothing more than make a bigger mess. My method involved drilling lots of holes and then lots of prying and cutting. I broke 3 screwdrivers. Not fun!!

but I eventually got them all out. I welded on some sway bar mount reinforcements then cleaned and degreased the subframe. I’ll shoot it with some fresh glossy black tomorrow. 

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/14/19 4:36 p.m.

Putting the bushings IN was so easy it was fun!  15 minutes with a mallet and all done.  I was afraid I’d need to press them in, but nope.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 New Reader
2/14/19 5:41 p.m.

The Celeste Green bits are bitchin!

Cool build. 

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/16/19 12:21 p.m.

In preparation for the start of RallyCross season next week, the truck got a bath and an oil change. 

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/18/19 3:16 p.m.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/18/19 3:21 p.m.

Pretty jealous of the matching boots. 

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/18/19 3:35 p.m.
Professor_Brap said:

Pretty jealous of the matching boots. 

LOL!!  yeah, these girls get dressed up pretty cute to go out on 4 wheelers.  But they aren't scared to hit the mud as you see.  We explored a new spot to the north of us, this time, in Parrish.  There are some cool abandoned train tracks and train cars and a big steel bridge.  Our buddy brought his Jeep out and proceeded to break the driveshaft in the first 15 minutes.  The place is located on the edge of a Mexican ghetto with junk cars, dogs, chickens, and old run down homes along the road.  I picture it being a miniature Baja.  (I really want to get out to the Baja 1000 soon).  There's a solid little taco stand in the area that made for a great post-riding meal.  It was a fun Sunday!

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/18/19 9:54 p.m.

In reply to Lof8 :

Yikes! I’ve been debating on whether it’s worth my sanity to DIY the subframe bushings on my e36. This might’ve just convinced me to take it to a shop lol

Let me know what you think about the Condor bushings. I’m really considering them, but I’m a little worried that they’d be a bit much for a car that still sees quite a bit of street time. 

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/19/19 7:41 a.m.
Turbine said:

In reply to Lof8 :

Yikes! I’ve been debating on whether it’s worth my sanity to DIY the subframe bushings on my e36. This might’ve just convinced me to take it to a shop lol

Let me know what you think about the Condor bushings. I’m really considering them, but I’m a little worried that they’d be a bit much for a car that still sees quite a bit of street time. 

Its a miserable job for sure.  I think if I had pressure washed the subframe first, it may not have been quite as bad.  I was just absolutely filthy the whole time.  If the burning method works for you, I could see the job being quite a bit easier.  But for me, burning them did nothing.  I imagine it would be an expensive job to pay for.  Good luck!  If I was doing this job on a street car, I'd probably use rubber bushings myself, although I have not driven the car yet with these condor bushings.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/20/19 5:07 p.m.

Wimpy diff and subframe out. Time to weld some reinforcements. 

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/21/19 7:46 p.m.

Jumping right in  got one plate welded before I ran out of wire  :(

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/22/19 8:01 p.m.

I got 4.5 plates out of 6 done. I wanted to get em all tonight, but ran out of steam. Welding on your back isn’t particularly fun, but i’m Almost there. Got a couple of burns on my chest as proof.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/24/19 1:02 p.m.

Fun RallyCross. Except for the fact we had to stop several times to dig up these metal tie-downs that kept appearing as we dug down below the grass. We determined we were on an old tree farm and these used to support trees.  I estimate we pulled up about 150 of em.

Damn truck needs a steering quickener!  Maybe when the bmw is finished. 

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
2/24/19 9:52 p.m.

Truck looks great.  What do you have to do to quicken the steering?  New rack or are there drop in gear swaps?

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/25/19 5:53 a.m.

In reply to Petrolburner :

Unfortunately it doesn’t have a steering rack, but an antiquated steering box. I’ve considered a few options, but I think the best method will be to add a 2:1 steering quickener to the main steering column. 

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/25/19 6:03 p.m.

Welding is complete!  I didn’t explode!  Reassembly is underway. However, the orientation of the bolts, for the lower control arms, are such that I can’t mate the diff to the subframe before I receive the Nerp Tech adjustable pieces.  (Unless I want to do part of the job twice - I don’t!).  I ordered them nearly 3 weeks ago. 

1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 ... 56

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SXeC1Z9SdyVVPnVx6NPBCEbT5mlMfL0sLsSJ1t18YRUmKAyABh47GL1rQkoXQDHy