1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 56
Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/21/19 11:11 a.m.

Master fabricator!  Lol. Moved the mr2 battery to the front

Lof8 - Andy
12/21/19 1:36 p.m.

Stopped by my Dads place today. No progress on his 914-6, but he rigged up a little mini bike with a predator!  (I caught the photo mid-sentence  he wasn't ready)

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/23/19 8:47 a.m.

As someone else who has a predator powered mini bike, I highly approve. Much fun to be had on those! 

Lof8 - Andy
12/25/19 6:09 p.m.

My wife got me a clock for the garage for Christmas - so I know when to come in for dinner!  Lol!  It's my favorite present. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/26/19 7:59 a.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

The NB is looking good! I also have a Black NB with hardtop and love it. Not quite as shiny as yours, but I tend to be a bit more function over form. 

Lof8 - Andy
12/27/19 8:28 a.m.

Champcar Sebring this weekend. Unknown junkyard engine, zero testing, fingers crossed. 

Lof8 - Andy
12/30/19 7:24 a.m.

Wow!  With the unknown engine and complete lack of testing, I had pretty low expectations for the Champcar weekend.  It was a "double 7" format with individual 7 hour races on Saturday and Sunday.  Saturday went about as expected, car ran well until the green flag dropped and our driver immediately pulled into the pits - huge loss of power.  We diagnosed a bad coil pack, borrowed one from another racer and got back out on track about 8 laps down.  It ran great for another hour, when I hopped into the car.  The car was running and handling great.  This was probably the must fun stint I've ever done in this car.  I made 5 or 6 legit passes and was having a blast!  Then...it just shut off!  I got towed back to the pits.  We spent the rest of Saturday diagnosing our issue and eventually ran a new wire from the key switch to the coils.

Sunday was a new day and the car ran flawlessly all day!  Our pit stops were mostly quick and we had our hot shoe in the car during the wettest part of the day.  He was picking up about 15 seconds per lap on the guys ahead of us during the wet.  I don't have a clue how he does it - The rain gets me slowed way down.  We ended up 4th in A class out of about 20 cars and 26th out of 88 overall.  This is far and away our best result in Champ.  It was a super fun weekend!

Lof8 - Andy
1/9/20 7:19 p.m.

A little spyder kart action. I'm going to put a couple vertical bars between the sill and the current bar on both sides. 

Lof8 - Andy
1/12/20 7:39 p.m.

The vertical bars for my "doors" were a reason to need a new tool - a tubing notcher. Pretty fun. :)

verticals are just tacked. I ran out of shielding gas

all of the HVAC equipment behind the dash is gutted. But I felt the fit/finish is worth the 10 lbs or so to keep the dash itself.  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
1/14/20 4:26 p.m.

So... what year is that MR2?  Those were available in the very end of the 90s, so it could technically fit the Radwood class for the challenge, I think.  I know just the body to make out of free coroplast and absolutely dominate the concours:  

Lof8 - Andy
1/14/20 9:25 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Google says the W30 chassis became available in 2000. :( but maybe it'll need a body anyway!  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
1/15/20 6:07 a.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

Production started in the 90s though!  If it's eligible it definitely barely squeaks in.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/15/20 11:20 a.m.

You going to lose the windshield and frame in all the weight reduction? A tiny plexi diverter/lip would save a ton of weight.

Lof8 - Andy
1/15/20 12:20 p.m.
hobiercr said:

You going to lose the windshield and frame in all the weight reduction? A tiny plexi diverter/lip would save a ton of weight.

It would save a ton of weight and up high too. But I'm leaning toward leaving it. For street legality and at least some rollover protection.  

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/15/20 3:56 p.m.
Lof8 - Andy
1/15/20 7:47 p.m.

In reply to AxeHealey :

that thing looks pretty sweet.  If I ever delete the windshield, I'll need a roll bar as pictured.  But I am hoping to enjoy a little street driving with it, so for now, keeping the windshield.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/15/20 8:17 p.m.

its florida, it just have to have a "windshield" right?

Lof8 - Andy
1/16/20 7:39 a.m.
MrChaos said:

its florida, it just have to have a "windshield" right?

Yeah, I could likely get away with a little piece of plexi or something. But in order to keep some functionality and have my wife willing to ride in it to the beach with me, I think the full windshield is necessary. 

Lof8 - Andy
1/21/20 6:16 p.m.

We're into reassembly.  I was able to mount these aftermarket buckets a couple inches lower than the celica seats. Very nice. 

boxed in the rear frame where I hacked it shorter. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/21/20 8:21 p.m.

what no carbon fiber buckets for extra weight loss?

Lof8 - Andy
1/21/20 9:25 p.m.

Lol, I ain't got budget for no carbon.  These Chinese fiberglass seats weigh nothing though. 

Lof8 - Andy
1/22/20 7:02 p.m.

Got the passenger seat bolted down and modified some of the interior bits to go back in. I'm sacrificing a few pounds so it looks a bit finished and doesn't feel so much like a "death kart" when you're in the cockpit.  

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/23/20 8:53 a.m.

I think the sill panels are what completes the look.

java230
java230 UberDork
1/23/20 9:51 a.m.

I bet that thing will be a blast. Plan on little LED's for headlights and turn signals? Keeps it road legal and doesnt add much weight?

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
1/24/20 5:12 p.m.

I want to drive that Spyder kart!

1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 ... 56

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I9BhH0YCpgSMsJIGT1XVzsUpLoSdOFiw732EIrEWmMbrFJ69lZ0VRzD12eomxuOy