1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 30
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/21/20 3:19 p.m.

hard to see, but the fuel pressure regulator sprung a leak. Dunno how long ago though. Seems to run a lot better with a rebuilt tbi, fresh vacuum hoses and pcv, and reman injectors. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
12/21/20 8:32 p.m.

In reply to superfund :

Needs those wheels too!

1/28/21 7:46 a.m.

The 4l60e in this turned into a bucket of issues last night. Slips in first, and shifts second like a neutral drop. Holding gears, bang shifting, no converter lockup and im pretty sure no overdrive. 

Im debating even doing diagnosing or just saying "its berkeleyed ".

I guess its time to start researching a 4l80e swap. 

And no ls at this time. 

I would guess the trans has transferred itself to berkley land.  

"And no ls at this time. "     So said the spider to the fly.  Michael, sometimes I don't think you can help yourself.  Especially if the right package appears.  Best of luck getting the truck back together.

1/28/21 11:57 a.m.

Thanks. 

Sourced a 4l80e this morning that is supposedly known good for a hundred bucks. 

So, when i get a chance, it will be going together.....

dropstep
dropstep UberDork
1/28/21 5:22 p.m.

It's weird you build things I have no interest in normally but I enjoy your approach so much I follow anyway. Sucks about the 4l60. I know my boss recently picked up a cheap 96 because the guy failed the 4l80 swap and got desperate. Couldn't figure out the wiring. 

1/28/21 5:37 p.m.

In reply to dropstep :

I feel the same way about other builds here. Including yours!

It seems they make an adapter harness for $50. Then, use a stock memcal from a 94-95-96 tbi 4l80e truck and should be bolt together 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
1/28/21 5:52 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

Don't know if you'd want it or not, but I think I have a JEGS TBI spacer that I never installed on my S10, that I would assume would fit your truck.

1/28/21 6:27 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

I appreciate the offer! I don't think I'll have a use for it, but thanks!

17x8. Would need an adapter,  as they are 5x4.5. Im seriously tempted,  as it seems that i can polish them well snd profit if i don't like them.

Thoughts?

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/21 7:02 p.m.

I have come to accept you and your strange taste in wheels.  If they make you happy go for it but low ball them because you probally are the only buyer.

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UberDork
2/6/21 7:36 p.m.

Yeah why not ......you'll be spending more time at the house keeping these spotless than with DARTH N....do it !

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/6/21 7:52 p.m.

Those wheels say to me, "Gee whiz, this new CNC machine we bought sure is cool!"

In reply to TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) :

Slept on it. Decided that your answer was pretty accurate. 

Ill keep looking 

Crackers (Forum Supporter)
Crackers (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/7/21 12:04 p.m.

On the 60-80 swap, I think there may be a different cross member. Nothing a welder and a grinder can't fix though. Although I may be conflating 2X and 4X.

2/7/21 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Crackers (Forum Supporter) :

The nice thing is that i get the crossmember and driveshaft and lines and radiator and aux cooler and flex plate and hardware for the $100!

Also, trying to find a grm relay from outside Atlanta to somewhere nearer to Charlotte for these if possible. 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/131607672147356/

2/12/21 3:30 p.m.

Got my trans home.

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/12/21 4:13 p.m.

Drive-A-Beater 5.0?

2/12/21 4:19 p.m.

Nope. But vortec donor,  4l80e,  etc. Pretty much everything I want off it minus cab, bed, frame,  or suspension (gotta be a roller and it has new tires) for $250

2/13/21 10:23 a.m.

It is 34 and raining. 

And im working outside. 

Goal today is strip everything forward of the firewall,  and the firewall as much as I can. 

2/13/21 12:37 p.m.

2/13/21 4:00 p.m.

done for the day. Maybe tomorrow ill get the dash and column out, and the door mirrors and inner handles. Spares for the bucket. 

As far as drivetrain: everything underneath and accessible has been pressure washed. Make it a little less miserable. Still have to unhook everything underneath,  but will be keeping it all the best i can. Like the manifolds and such will wind up on Mary's truck,  mudfler and tailpipe with black, longblock torn down for inspection,  etc. Not sure im keeping the vortec accessories around,  as im pretty sure they wouldn't clear the tbi water neck. But i like that compressor way better.....

The ac system was still charged. That was a nasty surprise. Cooling system might as well have been mud and rust solidified. Trans fluid didn't smell burned, power steering did. Neat power steering cooler built into the framerail on this. I kept it, along with the parts for aux trans and oil coolers. 

Im done. Its 34 and raining hard, ive been outside is it since 9am. Im soaked and cold and miserable. Shower, shave, hot tea, research on prom burning. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
2/13/21 9:34 p.m.

So a 5.7 Vortec / 4L80E rolling donor truck for $250?  Did you hear the truck run before disassembly?  It sounds like a good deal to me from a huge distance and none of my own labor to make anything of it (so grain of salt etc etc).

2/14/21 7:22 a.m.

Nope. Never heard it run. Im assuming engine is a core. Steve swears the trans is good, and he's never steered me wrong before. Truck was taken out by electrical issues according to him. And judging by the amount of stuff disconnected and de-loomed, ill believe it. However,  the engine bay has been open to the elements for an unknown length of time,  and no egr on it. Im guessing its full of water....

2/14/21 12:15 p.m.

Anyone local want a vortec short block? Ive decided that i don't have the space or giveaberkeley to keep it as a "ill need a core to rebuild someday"

1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 30

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yc5cdkP5hQQCsThb1f6MNp8QPeaoMMIlY8iP80IBP9AaJ83ThYosG7YKvgd1Ydau