1 2 3
Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
2/2/20 8:04 p.m.

Here's a montage of making up the wiring harness.  I usually find it's less expensive to buy a kit than to buy everything individually.  I've liked the kits that Sacramento Vintage Ford puts together with period-correct terminals and lacquer insulation--about $500.   I took a lot of detailed pictures planning to write a story for a hot rod/street rod magazine, but Sacramento Vintage Ford stopped advertising and those magazines wouldn't feature products from non-advertisers (GRM isn't that way and is still in business--I think a lot of you know the fate of the other magazines).  So you guys get the pictures.

Each bag is a sub-section of the harness.  They've got wiring diagrams according to Ford standards and colors.  Very easy.

The kit also came with very nice uninsulated terminals and shrink wrap to insulate them.

I always rough out a wiring harness first:

Then I start tidying it up with zip ties:

As much as I like lacing, there are areas where I do like to use cable sheathing like the underbody.  I use shrink wrap on the unions.  The kit came with the all of that, plus period-correct clips to hold things in place.

So that's how far I got six years ago--all done except for the final lacing.  It'll take about two hours to get it done.  Stay tuned.

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
2/3/20 6:40 p.m.

My aging body has reminded me why I haven't replaced the zip ties with proper lacing for the past six years.  It's not that hard or time consuming to do the lacing, but it sure hurts to make the under dash contortions as I pull and tie the string.  I spent about 30 minutes and got about 1/3 of the under dash work done.  I'm sore now and think I'll rub some Jack Daniels on my neck, from the inside.   I'll keep picking away at the rest over a couple of nights.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
2/3/20 7:55 p.m.

In reply to Carl Heideman :

... from the inside...

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
FIIZInNtRk9NpQPkdOVFw75Poir4vNEqzbiOSPCVkKVlE4LhMLcZQTaEzsu9WQh3