1 2 3 4 ... 6
Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
2/28/17 2:39 p.m.

Well damn. That truck is badass!

einy
einy Reader
2/28/17 5:59 p.m.
Fitzauto wrote: Well damn. That truck is badass!

My thoughts exactly! Now, if we can get a comparable "last gen" S10 movement going in parallel with all this Ranger love, maybe I'll get some bad ideas on what to do to mine

Crackers
Crackers Reader
2/28/17 7:12 p.m.

I replaced a 2.3 motor in one of these while I was still in middle school. It's how I paid for my first "real" tool set. As a result I'm a little more sentimental about these than I probably should be.

How much can those 2.3l's put out before ventilating the block? I keep getting bad ideas.

simon_C
simon_C New Reader
3/1/17 4:13 a.m.

stock bottom end takes 430+rwhp according to some google searching.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
3/1/17 7:20 a.m.
simon_C wrote: stock bottom end takes 430+rwhp according to some google searching.

from what i've seen that is for the turbo bottom end, i think the n/a pistons are weaker and dont hold up to boost nearly as well

Crackers
Crackers Reader
3/1/17 12:04 p.m.

Is it the pistons themselves or (what I'm assuming is) higher compression that causes issues?

You guys really aren't helping my poor decision making...

STM317
STM317 Dork
3/1/17 12:19 p.m.

In reply to Crackers:

I believe the regular 2.3 has hyper eutectic pistons while the 2.3t has forged pistons.

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM New Reader
3/2/17 6:03 p.m.

Awesome truck! I've seen your ranger on instagram.....those photos have helped lead to my own autox ranger

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/10/17 1:31 p.m.

I finished up the panels that seal the tunnel today, and reinstalled the seats. This should keep the safety police off my behind.

photo 7C752EAA-A68B-4CC4-8781-84BC60504A89_zpszf1ojhmg.jpg  photo 6A0CE887-725B-40B9-9BF2-00E17C73632A_zpsuwmq2fql.jpg  photo 9DABCE4F-FE18-4449-98AD-8BA834D056F2_zpspsqukodv.jpg

Looks like the earliest event isn't until 4/1, the wait is killin me!

gumby
4/2/17 3:37 p.m.

Loaded up Saturday morning and took the truck to its first autoX of 2017

photo IMG_0477_zpsbf3vkroc.jpg  photo IMG_0474_zpsj2tpraci.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/embed/abjZBvoHw1A?ecver=1

Need to add a bunch of spring rate and try to dial out the body roll. Looking for a bigger sta-bar for the Toyota front end as well. Might need to go splined bar like the rear will be.

photo IMG_0479_zpsbaliniaz.jpg

Overall it was a good day with 9 runs and nothing broken!

JGRAHAM
JGRAHAM New Reader
4/2/17 8:59 p.m.

Enjoyed your in cab video. What pound springs are you currently running? Is your current sway bar a stock Toyota?

loosecannon
loosecannon HalfDork
4/2/17 9:11 p.m.

Is there any more diverse class than EMod?

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/2/17 9:52 p.m.
JGRAHAM wrote: Enjoyed your in cab video. What pound springs are you currently running? Is your current sway bar a stock Toyota?

Stock Toyota front sta-bar, yes. Looks like 11/16" The only bolt-in option I have found so far is a 1" Belltech. Currently 500lb front springs

loosecannon wrote: Is there any more diverse class than EMod?

I don't think so! This car runs locally with me. Mid-engine STi swapped with a Porsche transaxle.

photo 17757477_10212875006698750_1339488561776583101_n_zpsi0lucqsa.jpg

When starting this build, I simply looked at the pile of parts I had available and the SCCA rulebook. EMod looked like the only class where all my junk fit without anyone telling me how (not)to build it

loosecannon
loosecannon HalfDork
4/3/17 8:56 a.m.

I would like a photo album of all the EM cars from across the country

gumby
5/11/17 6:28 p.m.

The truck and I have a couple more events under our belts, and making solid progress on sorting out the combo/relearning how to drive.

photo 8F098A52-D8F4-4EE8-8D4C-E300435BF367_zpsgimbppj1.jpg

Changes to the suspension for Fun Event#1: Bigger front sta-bar
 photo 551E31F3-2909-40B5-8EFA-F751351D9C80_zpskg8n6xxz.jpg

Installing rear sta-bar
 photo F0C89F0A-CDFA-410C-8153-ECF6E2838DE5_zpslzqjbywk.jpg

This setup was a marked improvement in roll, but was stiff enough in the rear to unload the inside tire on right hand turns and upset the Trac-lok.

Next, for Points Event#1, I swapped the rear bar(850) to a 750, and stepped the front springs up to 600lbs. Also got a fresher, softer compound, set of tires mounted up. These changes worked quite well together. The rear tires stayed planted, the truck rotated well, and I was able to pull out a class win. Managed 17th of 107 overall RAW. Let's face it, in a sport scored on PAX, I can do whatever I want with the results. If I manipulate the RAW list and drop the real racecars, I was 11th quick out of all the door slammers. Not displeased with that! There is more in it and I will be working to find as much of it as possible

Oh, and I found a good place to put my external mic

STM317
STM317 Dork
5/12/17 12:31 p.m.

Glad to see an update! You're getting it dialed in. It just takes time. Looks like a strong turnout for CAM up there.

gumby
6/13/17 7:50 p.m.

4 weekends without an autoX is too many! Loaded up and rode down to Mid American Air Center for an event with Southern Indiana Region. No changes to the truck, just looking for more seat time.

photo IMG_0571_zpstp5b82uo.jpg

My daughter turned 12yo this spring, and this was her first opportunity to jump in the passenger seat

photo IMG_0572_zpsl1eny0je.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/embed/PhHnBpLohPw?rel=0?ecver=1 https://www.youtube.com/embed/N5RAisL9euA?rel=0?ecver=1

The truck performed flawlessly, but the driver is still leaving time on course. Managed to make a decent day out of it, and finished 4th overall on the RAW list.

photo IMG_0573_zpst2vl7c0s.jpg

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/17 9:20 p.m.

I always thoroughly enjoyed the events where my kids got to ride the first time.

gumby
10/13/17 9:17 p.m.

My 2017 autoX season is complete. I made more suspension changes to the truck in the final few events. Upped the front springs to 800lb and took some camber out of the rear tires. Drove better, but pics of the truck on course showed quite a bit of rear lift under braking. Raised the rear spring rate at the final event but the truck went dead loose. Disconnected the rear sway bar and picked up 2sec on my last run!

Looking at final results from the local region, I won the class championship for Emod. It appears that I took the divisional class trophy as well.

I've got a short list of upgrades for this winter, and I am hoping to drop a bunch of weight off the nose.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/14/17 7:54 p.m.

This, I like.

STM317
STM317 Dork
10/16/17 8:38 a.m.

Awesome update. I'm excited to see your weight savings!

gumby
4/25/18 4:44 p.m.

Three weeks ago I decided it was too cold to take this truck out to autoX.

Two weeks ago it was on the ground, 100% ready to go. Next event is this weekend, weather looks great!

Then outta nowhere I got a phone call from a guy I had been in on/off contact with over winter, and I took everything back apart

Several hours of measuring and transferring notes so that THIS could happen

I am stoked! I built the truck by feel and whatever fit, along with what I had access to and could afford. There was little math involved. When the opportunity arose to have someone else science the E36 M3 out of my setup and provide custom valving for my shocks, I jumped! Time is short but it wouldn't be any better later in the season either so what the hell.

I did not get any of my weight reduction stuff done this winter, but I did get a shorter set of steering arms modded and installed

It is looking like I should have the shocks back, even if I hafta banzai run to get them, and still be able to make the event on Sunday.laugh

Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
4/25/18 4:48 p.m.

I know that truck!

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
4/25/18 4:59 p.m.

This thing is sooo beautiful! Tell us more about the shocks and work you're having done...

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/25/18 5:35 p.m.

The shocks themselves really aren't anything special. They are some old circle track PRO Shock units that I nabbed off a swap meet table. They were valved for roundy-round stuff and under damped for my spring rates, but they were sizes I could physically make fit. At $10 each, I knew I could correct the other issues later and still be ahead.

On the lift, with the shocks and springs off the truck, I measured up all the LCAs and checked motion ratios in droop and compression. Measured unsprung weight, wheelbase, and track width. I had rough ideas on most of the numbers from my pre-build calculations, but some changes had been made on the fly and I needed to confirm everything as accurately as possible. Corner weights were carried over from last year since no major changes have taken place in that regard.

The shocks were dyno'd, and parts were ordered to revalve them based on calculations from the measurements I made.

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VkIIz1WFKrvsoVdmvH5etzP6R4eEVG8J6emHntoBU9Y7roZoKv5IQKUbMQ8B2n76