1 2
J1000
J1000 New Reader
8/1/18 10:40 a.m.

Speaking of which, ebay.co.uk and ebay.de have a treasure-trove of parts for these cars at super cheap prices compared to the JDM import folks. I have a couple goodies on their way.

J1000
J1000 New Reader
8/6/18 10:41 a.m.

I got BRAND NEW seatbelts for FREE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR0FLrn5pDA

J1000
J1000 New Reader
8/9/18 11:21 a.m.

One of my favorite parts of this car, red gauges:

J1000
J1000 New Reader
9/1/18 9:50 p.m.

Minor update I added a new head unit with Bluetooth and redness

J1000
J1000 New Reader
9/13/18 11:19 a.m.

I just converted the car to E85. I have been experimenting with it on other vehicles so I decided to convert my whole fleet. Nowadays a flex fuel sensor is less than $30 and it is supported by my K-Pro ECU so why not go for it. There is a station pretty close by my house that sells the cheapest E85 in town at $2.15 a gallon also.

First things first, I had some maintenance to do. When I installed the DC header I re-used the seal because every replacement I ordered was the wrong size. It was leaking and it just got worse. Finally, I just went to a local parts store and told them to ignore the computer and just match it based on size and I got the right one! I also replaced the manifold gasket, bolts and springs, and also replaced the seal and bolts and springs for the muffler. Now the car is quiet again, yay!

Then I pulled the ECU out and located the Ethanol pin on the ECU and ran the wire out near the plug.

I installed the GM flex fuel sensor. Unfortunately, there's no real great way to bolt them on or secure them nicely, so it's zip-tied to an un-used bracket near the fuel hard line:

After some drama and wasted time not realizing my specific calibration of the ECU does not support E85, I was able to get the correct calibration loaded and the car driving. Next stop was the E85 pump! I pumped in about 7 gallons and now my ethanol % is reading 44%. I have not really tuned it at all yet and it's 11.5:1 at WOT so I'm anxious to get started on that. Unfortunately, tuning the Hondata K-Pro is much more complicated than Megasquirt, which is what I learned to tune cars with but it has so many more cool features to play with.

J1000
J1000 New Reader
9/21/18 10:10 a.m.

The poor Honda is being neglected both in project time and drive time as I got an SUV toy I've been messing with. The E85 made a big difference in HP! Probably gained as much as the header and K-Pro both added together. It sounds different too. Local regular gas went up in price by 15 cents so I'm saving money running E85 now too!.

As for updates on the Si, I changed the blinker bulbs in my Type-R taillights. These lights have clear indicator lenses so the stock bulbs just shine white which isn't the greatest for indicating and clashes with the front and side signals. Simple enough to install some yellow bulbs:

Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
9/21/18 11:35 a.m.

Very jealous of the e85 setup!

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
9/21/18 12:48 p.m.
Run_Away said:

Very jealous of the e85 setup!

I'm jealous of the readily available e85 as I want to run it pretty badly. I do second that your fueling setup is sweet however.

J1000
J1000 New Reader
9/22/18 10:27 a.m.

Yeah I should have been using E85 for years. My other car is a turbo Miata so I could have been getting way better performance. Really I see no downsides other than just having to go to the pump more often.

J1000
J1000 New Reader
9/24/18 1:54 p.m.

First tank of E85 (actually E70 winter blend) and got 26 MPG which is not bad, I've gotten that on regular gas before. I tuned it so that it runs at 15.2:1 AFR in cruise conditions and idle to take advantage of ethanol's lean burning benefits which probably helps. I could probably go even leaner in some places. Also the car makes more power throughout the whole rev range so there's not as much downshifting required on the highway. So far I'm liking it.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
3nl82kUQvZeaJFB7AjXOLGhxV9ZutBzjsjFL0Bjxs45DGupVAZ9fDDiFt8usvCHD