1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17
Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/19/13 4:19 p.m.

We did a lot more than 5 laps. Our transponder wasn't working first session. We ran every session, the only problem was a predictably overheated brake master cylinder and the ignition issues. We'll be working on a simple aluminum shield soon.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Reader
7/19/13 4:23 p.m.

Very impressive!
In for action shots/video

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/19/13 4:24 p.m.

BTW, donor has 153,466 miles. Stock engine, trans, diff. Miata is always the answer.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/13 4:26 p.m.

Is there more UTCC tomorrow, or is that it?

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/19/13 5:06 p.m.
Ben
Ben New Reader
7/19/13 6:32 p.m.

Warren, Did you remember to grab that other coil pack off the other engine in your shop? 99 coils are especially problematic.

TurboDogsDad
TurboDogsDad New Reader
7/19/13 7:21 p.m.

Warren, I would second Ben's comment. NBs are famous for weak coils, might have been good enough after 158k for stock cylinder pressures, but not so much for boost. Also, make sure you put that extra timing in the main timing table, not just for power, but it might help with the misfire and will definitely keep EGTs down and keep engine temps down. No use wasting race gas! Have you been able to verify what your boost is to make sure you're not hitting the limiter?

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/19/13 8:11 p.m.

That's too bad. Amazing effort by your guys Warren. It's always something little when thrashes like this happen. With our first Lemons effort it was a gas line. We couldn't do anything but idle and maybe 1/8th throttle. We didn't make the parade lap. At Lemons we had two days to figure it out and fix it. It's too bad you guys don't have that same luxury.

Being incredibly selfish here, I was really looking forward to seeing the Excocet compared to the 818, not only in terms of lap times, but also in terms of the stories and impressions by the staff and the drivers. I am very impressed with both cars and what I've seen so far is amazing when compared to kit cars of yore.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/19/13 8:28 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

The car ran fine even with 50-70 missing horses, we ran all the sessions and did a good 5 seconds faster than the fastest turbo miatas. Massive success in our eyes. We were down a lot of horsepower on the 818 and were only 5 seconds slower on a two minute track filled with WOT driving. You'll get your comparo, the GRM guys were very, very interested in this thing. Big takeaway here: our initially skeptical pro driver is now head over heels for this thing, and he wants to come out of retirement to back an Exocet endurance racing effort. Also, we proved the ease of build and the chassis/kinematic quality of this thing. The fact that we really started this build at 7pm Monday and banged out lap after lap with no major issues on Friday just blows my mind. Lego car.

crazycanadian
crazycanadian Reader
7/19/13 9:31 p.m.

Thats a huge accomplishment guys... Way to go... A couple more sessions out to work some bugs out and the car will really come to life...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/13 9:32 p.m.

No doubt, this is a huge victory. We'll have those misfire problems solved in a day or two, that's just what happens when you have no debug time. But for the car to go out there, that fast, right out of the box? Amazing.

When you think about it, the most accurate historical equivalent to this car is the Meyers Manx.

TurboDogsDad
TurboDogsDad New Reader
7/19/13 9:48 p.m.

Congrats, Warren! You guys took on a huge challenge and did really well. Can't beat yourself up with coulda, woulda, shoulda- you flat out rocked.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
7/20/13 5:52 a.m.

You had me when you did the runs up and down the street. That was already amazing. The rest was beyond amazing.

ApacheXMD
ApacheXMD New Reader
7/20/13 1:02 p.m.
Warren v wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNPA25vKlDg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Man that looks great flying down the track. Any more pics or videos?

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/20/13 1:29 p.m.

Lots. Give us a chance to get back to Atlanta first!

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/20/13 7:06 p.m.

Thanks for your support guys! I finally got home, and before I pass out for a solid 24 hours, here's the pictures I personally have. My GoPro footage is with another guy on his way home, but we'll get that footage online soon. All this is from my cell phone; I was definitely not in photographer-mode this weekend.

Also, apparently we can't math. The weight of the car ready to race (half tank of gas) is 1515lbs. With the front wing off, we should be right at 1500. Holy cow.

Video:

First drive (Thursday night)

Leaving paddock for first session

Flyby: Shakedown lap during first session

Flyby: Dropping down through 17a

Photos:

Yours truly pulling up to the scales. 1515lbs with 8 gallons and no me.

Bob "The Boss" Thorton:

Umm, where's the box with the endplates? Crap.

Keith Tanner
7/20/13 7:11 p.m.

Man, that green really pops in the sun. Might be the best looking Exocet out there. Faint praise, maybe, but it works.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/20/13 7:26 p.m.

Again, the cell phone doesn't do the color justice. We could pick it out from that vantage point all the way to Oak Tree. Can't wait to get all the SLR pictures that were taken.

We're scheduling the logistics of getting XP-3 to you guys for your summer camp. You guys have a forklift, right? It's faster to ship it on a pallet than on a car carrier.

Keith Tanner
7/20/13 8:05 p.m.

Forklift, affirmative.

v8exocet
v8exocet New Reader
7/21/13 7:40 a.m.

so uhhh keith. wanna do a LS version?

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/21/13 9:45 a.m.

Kevin will be selling XP-1 (the black original) to fund an LSx-powered example.

Actually, if anyone wants a proven, reliable, 100% done Exocet that's been on magazine covers and countless car shows, shoot an email to Kevin at Info@Exomotive.com . The car has been registered for a year as a 2012 Assembled Vehicle, paperwork is completely legit. Subject line "I want XP-1".

He was incredibly sentimental about that car, but I think I convinced him am LSx build is worth it.

v8exocet
v8exocet New Reader
7/21/13 9:52 a.m.

eh, then i wont do it if he is going to.

Maybe a 2j?

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/21/13 10:05 a.m.

The one project I want to see someone else do is a rotary. Emphasis on the "someone else". I'm not the biggest fan of rotaries, multiple sliding seals on one interface make me squick.

v8exocet
v8exocet New Reader
7/21/13 10:07 a.m.

i dont want to drive a lawnmower, so im out

Warren v
Warren v Reader
7/21/13 10:16 a.m.

Turns out the 818R was making 340whp. Wow!

According to the R&T Article, their weight for the single-seat 818R is 2012 lbs. Without the front wing, XP-3 is >500 lbs lighter. We'd only need 260whp to beat that power/weight of the 818R. Should be easy for the FM2.

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0Bob550NAuwjIsRhhYcqDaVJVZ55ZaVhk8y8aBzvzozVdYktHLvi26PioNmhDz3b