VadnaiE
VadnaiE New Reader
9/13/19 6:53 p.m.

Good afternoon all, 

Unfortunately my first post isn't a technical issue but instead one of hygiene and health. 

I've acquired the shell for my project and unfortunately it has been lived in by mice for a long time. The interior is a write off and any and all sound deadening and the engine bay is 

The problem I'm facing is that the door sills are made with a trapezoidal tunnel which has holes in it. The mice have left droppings in this passage and there's no way for me to access it. I've put a lot of work into getting as far as I am in the project and I have no intention of scrapping this shell. 

My ideas as of right now are, 

1. Cut out access points to fit my hand in and wipe up the droppings. 

2. Cut a hole in the floor under the rail and use hot water and soap to flush it out. 

I'd like to use high density pour foam in these rails after for some chassis rigidity. 

If anyone else has any insight or advice for this problem or dealing with mice in general I'd greatly appreciate you sharing. 

Much appreciated

Here's some pictures for fun :) 

Car when I got it ^

Pulling the motor from the C32 AMG that's donating its brakes, m112k, 5 G-tronic and differential to the 190E ^

190 sans m103 or interior ^

Rocambolesque
Rocambolesque Reader
9/13/19 7:19 p.m.

Cut the rockers and weld them back. And don't put foam in there... it might do you more harm than good!

Also make a build thread for that thing

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
9/13/19 9:31 p.m.

I second Rocambolesque's comment about no foam. It will hurt you later. I would flush it with penetrating oil myself, and repeat every 6 months or so for the rest of my time with the car. Nothing else.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
9/13/19 9:53 p.m.

Cut & weld, no foam X3 and ya, build thread! Welcome!

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
9/14/19 8:08 a.m.

Hole saw to create access points...and for lightening lol

Reduce shop vac hose diameter by using heater hose and a reducer or duct tape to be able to access all areas.

Ketchup squirt bottle with dilute bleach water. 5:1 water to bleach ratio

Reverse shop vac flow or leaf blower to dry

For mouse stink....get $79 ozone generator from amazon. 1 hr the mouse odor will be gone

For the interior shell as well.

Nader
Nader New Reader
9/14/19 9:35 a.m.
Agent98 said:

Hole saw to create access points...and for lightening lol

Reduce shop vac hose diameter by using heater hose and a reducer or duct tape to be able to access all areas.

Ketchup squirt bottle with dilute bleach water. 5:1 water to bleach ratio

Reverse shop vac flow or leaf blower to dry

For mouse stink....get $79 ozone generator from amazon. 1 hr the mouse odor will be gone

For the interior shell as well.

This is good advice.  I'd add blowing compressed air through one end while the other end is under vacuum, for push/pull effect.  And Harbor Freight has this, which you can hook up to whatever disinfectant you choose.  Don't breathe anything rodent-related (Hantavirus is real).

https://www.harborfreight.com/engine-cleaning-gun-68290.html

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
9/14/19 10:07 a.m.

Hole saw a hole at one end for a shop vac.

Drill small holes spread out through the structure as needed.

Turn on vacuum and use a blow gun with long 1/4 tube nozzle to blow the debris towards the vacuum. 

VadnaiE
VadnaiE New Reader
9/14/19 10:29 a.m.

Thanks all for the quick replies, 

I'll look into maybe just cutting out some holes like agent 98 said and see if I can flush it like that. 

My main concern with cutting out the inside of the rockers was that I'd be losing structure across the sides. The idea behind the foam was that it'd help to prevent flex in the welds. 

Can someone elaborate on why foam is such a hassle? 

Thanks, 

-Evan

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
9/14/19 1:18 p.m.

In reply to VadnaiE :

The foam does not bond to the inside of the box you are putting it in. During the expansion /curing process it usually expands with enough force to stress open the previously sealed seams After a year or so it shrinks just enough to wick in and retain any moisture. Rapid rust out ensues. Do not worry about a few new holes reducing the strength, if you place and size them correctly there will be no measurable reduction.

maj75
maj75 HalfDork
9/14/19 7:21 p.m.

Bleach is an oxidizer.  I wouldn’t put it into any area that is unpainted/finished.

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/15/19 3:48 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Well put. I've learned something!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fgtwNBBQ81Dc4PIR1qEkr3yqgoogThcdosk8R8GQ1BBk8WxoX2ga3I9Dzs5zC6p1