1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
4/4/18 2:26 p.m.
Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/4/18 3:01 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

That is interesting, but for now the kiss approach is to use standard x1/9 stuff. The yellow car actually came with what look like pretty decent springs and shocks, so for now we will use those (budget neutral and bolt on). We did jump for a set of poly bushings to slap into the control arms. Ian is working on refurbing those as we speak.

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/4/18 4:59 p.m.

How about a simple clutched 12v electric motor for reverse? Belt driven around the driveshaft rotating in the opposite direction the shaft is normally driven?

Robbie
4/5/18 12:50 a.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo :

Would be nice, if i get to it. Also, not gonna have a driveshaft. I could do it around one axle or the other. Reverse isn't really my priority though, for now.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/5/18 8:45 a.m.
Robbie said:

In reply to QuasiMofo :

Would be nice, if i get to it. Also, not gonna have a driveshaft. I could do it around one axle or the other. Reverse isn't really my priority though, for now.

I hope to do a bike engine build in the future, and I agree. Reverse can come later. Bike engined cars need to be light anyway, so pushing them backwards isn't a huge deal.  

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE New Reader
4/5/18 11:30 a.m.

You could do what the Honda Gold Wing does for it's reverse- reverse the polarity on the starter to *bump* the car backwards.

Robbie
4/5/18 1:05 p.m.

You guys really don't like the oar idea for reverse, huh?

If I'm being honest I thought that plan would get some cred here...

AWSX1686
4/5/18 1:43 p.m.
Robbie said:

Having a hard time picturing it, but I actually do like the idea. Almost like the foot thing on a sewing machine that moves the fabric? But hand powered with a lever?

madpenguin
madpenguin New Reader
4/5/18 3:57 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to Robbie :

But with sprotor!  

That made me cringe. I wouldn't mix something that depend on friction to work properly (brakes) with something that is full of grease or other lube to work properly (chain & sproket)... I know that rear brakes aren't really that important on street bikes (I nearly never use the one on my SV thanks to the v-twin), but when you need it you usually need it bad.

Robbie
4/5/18 4:38 p.m.
AWSX1686 said:
Robbie said:

Having a hard time picturing it, but I actually do like the idea. Almost like the foot thing on a sewing machine that moves the fabric? But hand powered with a lever?

I was really just joking around that I had a challenge car solution that was feasible but ridiculous (row the car backward like a row boat) and even then everyone is still offering more solutions for reverse.

But, yes, exactly. I'm not sure I could have described it better myself; a sewing machine foot - genius!

For the challenge this year however, I really might just bring a real oar from a row boat and use it with a notch in the side of the car to pull everything backwards. Would be exactly like a row boat.

Robbie
4/5/18 4:47 p.m.

In reply to madpenguin :

A quick search isn't tuning anything up for me quickly, but I get the feeling some Harleys came stock with sprotors! I agree it's probably not a great plan for longevity but for a few autox runs I wouldn't be worried about greasing the rotor too much.

Also, in similar fashion I see sprum kits (drum brake inside sprocket) for HDs now too.

java230
java230 UltraDork
4/5/18 5:18 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

HD's run belt don't they? No grease  

Robbie
4/5/18 6:01 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

Good point! Belts are somewhat recent though right?

simon_C
simon_C Reader
4/5/18 6:07 p.m.

In reply to madpenguin :

You HAVE heard of lubeless chains right?

Sprotors are proven and work fine. I've ridden with them. You don't use a greasy chain with them. O-ring chains are lubeless. 

Nothing ever came stock with them i'm pretty sure. If i remember correctly, they were invented originally by Exile cycles. 

coexist
coexist Reader
4/5/18 10:06 p.m.

I'll only approve of the reverse oars if you remove your helmet and put on a captain's hat when using them.

madpenguin
madpenguin New Reader
4/6/18 3:39 a.m.
simon_C said:

In reply to madpenguin :

You HAVE heard of lubeless chains right?

Sprotors are proven and work fine. I've ridden with them. You don't use a greasy chain with them. O-ring chains are lubeless. 

Nothing ever came stock with them i'm pretty sure. If i remember correctly, they were invented originally by Exile cycles. 

I did. I also heard that it's way less durable on bikes with significant power or torque, especially on roads were you always get some grit on the chain, and at least here in Europe are quite hard to find (I never saw something else than X-Rings for both my bikes).

I wouldn't use such a thing on any bike that'll need to actually work for some significant distance or time, but maybe on a car it will be at least protected from the road grit and be OK for some limited use.

madpenguin
madpenguin New Reader
4/6/18 3:40 a.m.
coexist said:

I'll only approve of the reverse oars if you remove your helmet and put on a captain's hat when using them.

If that ever happen, we NEED a picture.

AWSX1686
4/6/18 7:36 a.m.
madpenguin said:
coexist said:

And an eye patch!

greggearhead
greggearhead Reader
4/6/18 9:23 a.m.
Robbie wrote:
coexist said:

Whacha doin for reverse?

Get out and push. Maybe I'll get an oar and put a little notch on the side of the car so the driver can row backwards.

I've considered building something with a parking brake handle that essentially does the oar thing from under the car, but again, that is WAAAY down the priority list.

There are a number of bike-engined 'kit' cars in the UK and companies supporting them.  In my thoughts about them over the years, I wondering about putting a starter and a 'flywheel' on the driveshaft or diff or something, and having an electric reverse, or if there was an in-and-out box that could reverse the direction or something.  If you end up using a chain, might be conceivable to put a starter with a sprocket on the chain when engaging reverse or something like that.  

Robbie
4/6/18 11:15 a.m.
AWSX1686 said:
madpenguin said:
coexist said:

And an eye patch!

Sounds like this is pretty well decided...

Robbie
4/6/18 12:07 p.m.

In reply to greggearhead :

I've had a lot of those thoughts as well. IF I were going to make some sort of reverse for a Bec, I really think I'd look at a manual (physical labor) method. Like the parking brake that is a sewing machine foot. It can work as a parking brake, and it can move the car a few feet backward with each pull. Simple, light, does not complicate the engine drive.

For an electric reverse, I think the easiest option is to use an alternator. Already has a belt drive pulley, so just slap a crank pulley on to the diff input or between one of the diff output ears and the axle. Belt drive. No need to worry about clutches or anything because you can wire the alternator to free wheel with the belt except when you are using it. 

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
4/6/18 12:19 p.m.

Off of the reverse topic:

Is there any reason you wouldn't use a poly chain instead of a chain to drive it? Cost is one of the only negatives I know of since an actual poly chain will cost a good bit more than random chain pitches every gearhead has laying around. Positives are quieter, cleaner, etc. We use them all over the place in my industry.

Robbie
4/7/18 4:12 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

That would be cool, but we have been able to piece together factory sprockets from a bunch of different bikes to avoid making anything. For example, we found a rear sprocket from an aprilla model that is not sold in the us, but the rear bolt pattern should bolt directly to our diff in place of the ring gear (purchased and shipped to me from germany for $19!). We found a front sprocket from the front of a Kawasaki ($13 shipped) that matches the chain of the rear sprocket and fits the output shaft of the gsxr.

Production bike sprockets are cheap and ubiquitous, so they are hard to argue with for challenge purposes.

Robbie
4/23/18 6:08 p.m.

Even small.progress is progress:

Got out the drill and drilled some rivets

In preparation of fixing the floor. I also bought some more stock metal to get building with.

Finally (I'll add a.pic later) I got my hf tire changer bolted to some concrete so I can get the old junk tires off and start the wheels in their derusting molasses bath I have planned.

Robbie
5/7/18 11:03 a.m.

Might as well get to it! Started prepping the roll bar for welding in. The fit was as good as any $50 used roll bar, so it required some small adjustments.

Mark where it goes.

Safety gear selfie

Clean off metal. I will hopefully prep the bar and start some welding tonight!

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fnAOymYYZouC6bUnIFI92Z9LXKQgeTqzCJfpm77L9KG0RBFPVAvrOBRI5K2ik2A3