1 ... 6 7 8
NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/7/17 11:57 a.m.

More like the fact that I did not even bother to label ANYTHING

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/7/17 12:09 p.m.

Yeah. I was SURE that I would be reassembling so soon that it wouldn't matter....

itsarebuild
11/7/17 12:13 p.m.

No home,

you used the ford 8.8 on your molvo right? I am considering that option mostly for gearing reasons. What did yours come out of? I'm looking for something as close to a 3/1 as possible and with a factory LSD option but I'm not sure where to look. And wasn't there something about broaching hubs that was required without special shafts?

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/7/17 12:40 p.m.

I went with the 8.8 ford differential. The center section is alloy out of a T-bird if I recall. Maybe a Lincoln.

It has a 3.73 limited slip. I paid $100 for the lump with the lsd and gears.

I did ny own mounts to the Miata frame following  instructions from this guys blog:  http://miatav8.blogspot.ca/2014/01/rear-subframe.html

The cheap button is to get axles from Factory Five  and have the Miata axles broached. I think that Monster Miata will do the broaching for you or sell you new hubs. Being new to the axle fabrication world and constant velocity joints and what not, I pushed the easy but expensive button and got the complete axle assemblies including new hubs from Monster Miata. Shipped to my door it was like $1200. So savings are to be had if you want to do the legwork.

I actually had a rear differential mount kit from Boss Frog, but what they don't tell you is that it is pretty much impossible to run exhaust to the rear of the car with their kit.

Edit...I went back to read Mike's blog after I posted this and found this note at the bottom of the page

Update as of May 2016, FFR no longer sells these axles. They have changed their design to the later Ford IRS and use DSS axles. Too bad, they were a real bargain amongst axles.

itsarebuild
11/7/17 3:12 p.m.

For your set up how did the shafts attach to the diff? We're there flanges on a tub shaft? Or was it a splined shaft inserted into the diff?

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/7/17 3:20 p.m.
itsarebuild said:

For your set up how did the shafts attach to the diff? We're there flanges on a tub shaft? Or was it a splined shaft inserted into the diff?

splined shaft inserted into the diff. The splined bit is standard ford 8.8 T-bird or whatever.

itsarebuild
11/7/17 3:28 p.m.

Hmm. I was hoping some version somewhere had a stub shaft. I think that would make it easier to patch something together.

so what exactly is broaching a hub? 

itsarebuild
11/7/17 5:04 p.m.

Ok. Broaching hubs looks pricey....still worth checking out though if I can get the rest of it cheap enough.

as an alternate, I'm wondering if I can use an e30 diff, hubs, and shafts. It looks like to outer diameter of the wheel bearing is about 1/32" smaller on the Miata. If I can bore it out by that much I might be able to set the e30 bearing and hub in there and make it all work. Gotta check some overall measurements and compare hub depths....

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/8/17 11:06 a.m.

Here is another approach that I have filed away for future reference. The builder actually narrows the track on the car, and I believe keeps the Miata hubs.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?415722-A-Sexy-Volvo-ccrunner-s-1963-1800S-Restomod/page2

pictures and axle post are on page 2  . $600 for the rear axles all in and the ability to keep Mazda uprights is not a bad deal.

itsarebuild
11/8/17 1:34 p.m.

That is nice. I'll have to read up on it. Unfortunately my budget for a full swap including everything needed is under $600. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/8/17 2:51 p.m.

Then just roll with the stock Miata rear suspension. I have seen them last behind 302 swaps. For a while....

itsarebuild
11/9/17 8:34 a.m.

Yeah. It's looking like that will be my challenge solution. I did a little more research on what I can achieve with the 4.1 and I think I can make it work with slightly altering tires. A 3.9 would be nice if I can find one under my budget though. Maybe after the challenge I will look for a better solution.... and likely a different motor and trans too.

itsarebuild
12/17/20 2:59 p.m.

In case this went to the front again..... I'm fixing photos in the links. Unfortunately no new progress. 

Shavarsh
Shavarsh New Reader
12/17/20 3:40 p.m.

Ah, I was going to jump into the axle discussion but it looks like thats old news! 

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/17/20 5:24 p.m.

In reply to itsarebuild :

This mean you're going to build it or still looking for a new home?

itsarebuild
12/17/20 5:54 p.m.

In reply to Stampie (FS) :

I'm still looking for a good home for it since Time and money are not on my side this year. Though I am sure that is a shared issue with LOTS of potential challengers. So if no suitable options present themselves I will likely continue with the build. I was watching an episode of junkyard gold the other night and the host mentioned putting a fiat 124 from the yard on a 4th gen miata chassis and it reminded me I needed to fix the missing photos here. so I finally got around to it today. :)

itsarebuild
2/5/22 1:25 p.m.

I registered for the challenge last night. So this will get restarted.... 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/5/22 3:21 p.m.

In reply to itsarebuild :

Yay!

Recap time....Bring us up to date with some pics of where it is at today.

1 ... 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uXEcvXF6yftrG6fsAG3Q3kD0YwRvd2jzjag67OjldvSaAMxEoduRTqv2gNbU64eM