1 2
FIMS
FIMS New Reader
7/18/17 12:08 a.m.

Well, I took the plunge and registered yesterday, so why not share what I'm bringing, right?

Well, it starts with a little story. I've actually had this car since November because it's original purpose was the 24 Hours of Lemons Winter Rally. (Which I instead got handed the title for an 03 Legacy that was more rust than sheet metal, but that's another story)

This car was on Craigslist, as part of an estate sale, and it was really hard to say no to a one owner, 84k mile, 300hp V8 that had active dampening and a beige vinyl top. Sure it powers the wrong wheels, and had some hidden demons, but for $400 a 1998 Cadillac DeVille Concours was mine!

After letting the battery sit on a charger for a couple hours, I topped up all fluids and decided to see how well it ran, after all it did get to the house on a trailer. And that's when I discovered that there was a Crack in one of the end tanks of the radiator.

Luckily I was able to grab another for $140, and decided that while I was in there $30 in hoses was a pretty good idea. I mean, after all, the lower hose was date stamped to the build date. The top had been replaced 10 years later. The lower hose didn't even want to come off the radiator, so I really didn't have a choice After this I looked into trouble shooting the exhaust leak. It turns out that was a hole in one the mufflers, that was an easy fix. I just cut them off right at the Y pipe. Lost about 60lbs in the process too. (If that's cheating, it still weighs over 2 tons) I went through the car, and found the rear bumper cover folded up in the back seat, so I should be able to reattach that. And there were three different tires (same size, different brands) in the trunk, which is good, because two of the ones on it are very picky with the amount of air that they hold. With the amount of dry rot on the ones on the car, I think I'll spring for that 4th tire.

The car has kind of taken a back seat as of late to my current Lemons Rally car... To the point where it's being reclaimed by the bush up against the house.

So all in all, I think that the money I have in this has been well spent. Do I plan on having a good time with something that was not designed for this purpose. Yes! Do I plan on coming into this with an overly competitive spirit and taking this serious? No... This is an adventure in taking inappropriate equipment to out of the way places.

So you guys tell me, how bad of an idea is this?

And for those of you playing along at home.

Car - $400 Rad - $140 Hoses - $30 One tire - $40 (phone quote from a used tire place) Total est expenses - $610 as of right now.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
7/18/17 6:17 a.m.

They Keep telling Me to Just Have Fun! Oh and They Keep Telling me to Not be A Dick. So your in Money wise and Bonus if the A/C works. Hint from a former Cadillac Mechinac, it's right at the point the block Halves begin to Leak So Check ALL fluids and change them and Add Block Sealer.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
7/18/17 6:57 a.m.

In reply to FIMS:

PREDICTION: You will have fun

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/18/17 7:19 a.m.

Welcome! The Challenge is a ton (or two..) of fun! If you like LeMons, you'll love the Challenge. You might be surprised how competitive you'll be in the drags. Last year I brought a 4,400 lb station wagon in pristine daily-driver condition and knocked down low 15's all night, good enough for solid mid-pack. Might have had the A/C on for a run or two...

Prediction: you will be in the 14's

Also, first 4 tires are free in the budget, so technically you're still under $600

And of course,

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
7/18/17 7:44 a.m.

Google leads me to this as a 1998 DeVille Concourse.

FIMS
FIMS New Reader
7/18/17 9:24 a.m.
maschinenbau wrote: Also, first 4 tires are free in the budget, so technically you're still under $600 And of course,

Perfect, thanks for that insight...

And yea, I was failing pretty hard at the internet last night, I fixed it now...

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/18/17 10:42 a.m.

That car plus sawzall = competitive truck class entry!

FIMS
FIMS New Reader
7/18/17 7:37 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: That car plus sawzall = competitive truck class entry!

The fuse panel is attached to the back of the back seat. If I felt like moving that I wouldn't hesitate to hack this up

FIMS
FIMS New Reader
10/9/17 10:50 a.m.

Sometime in September I replaced the valve cover in the Cadillac, cleaned all the oil off the engine, and moved it around at the house... This is when it decided that it wanted to start leaking from the timing cover too... 

I was faced with an ethical dilemma. Do I spend way too much time pulling the front of the engine off, or do I go to Craigslist and see what I can find? 

Enter a pewter 2000 Pontiac Firebird. The ad was short, sweet, and vague. 

$500 and a Uhaul trailer later, it was mine. 

When I was looking the car over, I noticed that the engine had been replaced, as the valve cover clearly says "Buick Verano" but I set out to inspect the thermostat, praying it was that and not the water pump... Well, I was in for a very nice surprise. 

Of course you can't have a Firebird without the screaming chicken on the hood... Word to the wise about this though, make sure you order the one for the right generation... And don't put it on when in an altered state of mind due to a certain libation... 

After that, I tried to hit the junkyard for a window regulator for the drivers side. After almost slicing my wrist trying to remove one, I think I'll just shove a door stop against the glass for drag racing. 

So that's where I'm at now... If you'll excuse me I should probably go put some brakes on it as they are making plenty of noise 

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
10/9/17 11:12 a.m.

thats a good buy on the Both of them. you still have the Caddy?

FIMS
FIMS New Reader
10/9/17 11:18 a.m.

In reply to GTXVette :

Yes, I might fix it, I might just punt it down the road... I'm not sure yet

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
10/9/17 3:08 p.m.

PS on the Chicken, that's called Split Chicken Breast,  and just a bit Further down the road I could be Interested in the caddy for some parts, Engine and trans really

FooBag
FooBag GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/9/17 8:11 p.m.

You've got me puzzled as I see palm trees in your pictures, but there's the Des Moines license plate in the window. What gives?  laugh

Does the Firebird have a 3800 in it?

FIMS
FIMS New Reader
10/9/17 11:39 p.m.

In reply to FooBag :

Yea it's a 3800... Those IA plates haven't been legal for 8 years, and it's a good thing you can't see the Colorado plates on the Chevette.

FIMS
FIMS New Reader
10/9/17 11:47 p.m.
GTXVette said:

PS on the Chicken, that's called Split Chicken Breast,  and just a bit Further down the road I could be Interested in the caddy for some parts, Engine and trans really

At this point it's been in my driveway for a year without me doing anything but one Rally-X event with it...before it went all Exxon-Valdez... If you want it, a case of beer and it's yours. 

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
10/10/17 6:11 p.m.

PM me so I can get that for you,    will you be at the Challenge?   I want to come down to see the Show anyway, Generally get in the way. 

FIMS
FIMS New Reader
10/10/17 7:47 p.m.

In reply to GTXVette :

Honestly anything that isn't an IPA I'm good with. But yea, I'll be there... I'm going without a team, so if you get close enough to the Firebird and get in the way I'll throw a wrench in your hand. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/10/17 7:57 p.m.

In reply to FIMS :

We'll be in the black Q45 with orange wheels. If away from the car look for the homeless looking guy with long hair and scraggly beard. If you need any help just let us know. 

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
10/10/17 9:13 p.m.

I'll be there for ya. 

Stampie;  First Time I read that I thought you were describing Me, But I've Shaved

FIMS
FIMS New Reader
10/11/17 10:32 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Thanks, if you see a guy that looks like Santa if he was in ZZ Top, wondering around lost, that will be me

FIMS
FIMS New Reader
10/12/17 9:19 p.m.

I mean, it's what, 7 days till I need to be in Gainesville? Perfect time to do brakes and swap hubs... 

I did get the wheels and tires in today, so there was some win today 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/12/17 10:42 p.m.

I like those rims. Got a face on picture?

FIMS
FIMS New Reader
10/13/17 7:02 a.m.

Thanks. They are C7 Z06 Replicas, 17x9.5 with a 275/40. 

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
10/13/17 7:06 a.m.

Man they DO look Good.

FIMS
FIMS New Reader
10/13/17 1:08 p.m.

They look awesome on the car, I should have spent some money on suspension, but I didnt... So it sits a little higher than I'd like. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KjRCyfLnYrTkbRpqQXyju51opEmySjaVcIw6jwUNVTcGaeffvOwPBz5nAvxCAD8m