1 2
Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
12/14/17 5:14 p.m.

OK. Wait. Just re-read the whole thread!

Bolt on neck that goes up like a ramp at the 18th or therabouts?

It would still be deformation and yeah, planing the fretboard would fix that.

This is where I ask you to try and take an awkward photo of the side of the fretboard down from the nut so I can get a better idea. laugh

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/17 6:37 a.m.

Depth of field is my enemy, but this shot shows the ski jump. 

I've been playing with the truss rod and bridge height to try to sort it out, but I can't work around the fundamental problem. The truss rod doesn't do anything to the bolt-on section  

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
12/15/17 9:39 a.m.

This is where you get to decide how far down the hole you want to go.

How would I fix it? I would yank the frets, de-tension the truss rod, sand it flat with a radius block and refret.

It's detailed, but not difficult work and the bound fretboard does complicate things. You will need a radius sanding block, a fret saw, fret wire of your preferred size, tang nipper, a small soft faced hammer and a selection of files, some of which you will be modifying with a belt sander and grinder.

I have all the tools and a dozen refret jobs under my belt so I don't think twice about jumping in and doing it. Purchasing all the bits would be about the same price or more as paying a local luthier to do it for you.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/17 6:34 p.m.

I’m not sure we have a local luthier. My guitar teacher got all excited when I brought the Framus in to a lesson and he heard I’d been working on it, because he needs a guy. 

And this will be interesting. It’ll give me a chance to do a better job on the binding and the frets are not new. So after Christmas, it’s time to start looking into this!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TMRz1ODkhkQBuPAe7AYWu8vRjF2S9n1SWfyzcYbckIukEYUhyUL7uytV05CFjiW6