1 2
AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/21/19 8:07 p.m.

The clutch cable is easy to route.  I can send photos and tell you how to do it too. With a car on jackstands a new clutch cable is a 15 min job if you’ve done it once.  The first time involves frustration and the correct combination of curse words.  

This may help.  

You want to get it in place and the standoff bolted loosely to the frame rail outside the steering rack.  Then you want to feed the cable end into the firewall.  Then under the dash lift the clutch pedal and hook the cable around the quadrant ( pulley).  Then under the car feed the cable into the trans and install retaining clip to bellhousing.   Now pull on the cable end and pry it into position on the clutch fork.  It helps if a buddy or SO holds the pedal up.  Then screw cable end to firewall.  Tighten frame standoff.  Adjust cable / quadrant.  Install cover on trans.  Viola.  

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
3/22/19 9:25 a.m.

And now there's an unidentified rpm dependent rattle from the front of the motor. Going to look it over and hope i forgot a bolt on a bracket or something. Maybe a bad bearing in the new pulley. Definitely trying to ignore the possibility that a high mile 4.6 has worn out timing chains and guides. 

EDIT: found the problem. Bolts that came with the delete pulley bracket are a hair too long allowing the bracket to wobble a bit. Simple fix. Looking for washers now.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
3/27/19 4:13 a.m.

After fixing the new rattling noise. I spent all afternoon rolling around the county with the top down. The next day was a day trip to Nashville with some friends. Car behaved as expected other than an occasional misfire but I suspect some really old plug wires are to blame for that. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
3/29/19 5:05 a.m.

So while I was under the car getting pics and measurements for tr8Todd, I noticed something weird.

Now my best guess at what happened here, is last summer my 1st attempt at my crappy axle dump catback involved clamps. One of the clamps didn't hold. Pipe fell, got caught in a crack in a parking lot, and at the time I thought it only scratched the axle tube on that side. Apparently it actually stabbed a hole in my trunk floor and dented the fuel tank.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
3/31/19 10:47 a.m.

So I was googling around about the speedometer issue. It appears the difference is the '97 pcm wanting an 8k pulse signal and the '01 speed sensor outputting 32k. The fix for that looks to be a signal converter box. I got an SGI5 with my GTA because the previous owner had planned to do a t56 swap in that car but never did. I had no plans of using so I gave it to my buddy with the grey t56 swapped Camaro pictured with my Mustang in the first post. He didn't use it either because he's running a Holley Terminator TBI setup now. I saw him list it on Facebook for sale so I messaged him. "Yo is that the one I gave you or another one?" He replied saying it was infact the one I gave him and it was mine if I wanted it back. So it looks like the speedo fix was cheap and I just need to figure out how to wire it and set it.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
4/1/19 9:48 p.m.

And priorities shifted. I was looking to do the t45 swap as soon as possible. But I realized I've been trying to get started with autocross for like 3 years now and am finally in a place where I can do it. And tearing a perfectly good car apart at the start of the season to do a trans swap seems really dumb. So the new short term plan is catching up on neglected maintenance. Which frankly should have been what I did first anyway but I've never been accused of being smart. 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/2/19 5:28 a.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

That sounds like a good plan. Honestly, starting autox with an automatic isn’t a bad thing, especially in a car with some torque. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
4/17/19 1:54 p.m.

Found a '98 v6 5 speed coupe with a dead trans that appears to have a better interior and a good door in almost the right shade of green listed for $400. Messaged the seller. Might end up having 2 ugly green mustangs before the weekend is over.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/17/19 4:53 p.m.

Mustangs are like Miatas.....  and rabbits.  They tend to come in groups.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
4/17/19 6:06 p.m.

Welp. Turns out the seller forgot to mark that one as sold. Back to normal programming I suppose.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
4/30/19 3:47 a.m.

So one thing I really think I need to do before autocrossing this thing is decent pads, rotors and fluid. It has grooved and warped rotors on the front with duralast pads, rear is fairly new solid rotors and the same duralast pads as the front. Fluid is old and nasty looking.

One thing I noticed in my readings is that the caliper part number for the rear of the same year Cobra is the same, but the bracket is different and the rotor is a larger vented rotor rather than the GTs tiny solid one. Am I correct in assuming that to do the rear swap I'd just need to get the right brackets then order pads and rotors that are the part numbers for the Cobra? Prices seem to be pretty similar on the pad/rotor side and the caliper brackets were $17 each on Amazon. (I may or may not have bought the brackets already). 

I will probably do the Cobra brake swap on the front too eventually but after I get different wheels because these Bullit replicas have almost no room behind the spokes for a caliper, they're really tight to the stock GT caliper bracket as it is.

Also I still need to fix the ABS so I can bleed the system properly before I buy other brake parts anyway.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
4/30/19 6:48 a.m.

Cobra brakes use standard rear calipers with thinner pads to fit the vented rotor.  

I may have a lot of nice suspension pieces for sale next week.  See my Mustang for sale thread.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
4/30/19 7:04 a.m.

In reply to akylekoz :

Depending on price you may have me interested in that torque arm. Not sure the front arms will work on my SN95. I see MM has different part numbers for 79-93 and 94-04 cars.

Edit: It would appear they fit but would narrow my front track width and probably cause interference issues with steering.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
5/18/19 12:00 a.m.

After a long period of this battery flapping in the breeze. I finally put something resembling a hold down on it. Setup is still too flimsy for my taste though so this is probably getting re visited tomorrow. And yes the sketchy battery cables are on the list too.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
6/10/19 10:19 p.m.

This one is listed for sale. I still like it but keep thinking I'd like it more if it had a solid roof. Not going to try very hard to sell it but I can certainly think of a few places I could put the money from this car. Possibly another SN95 or new edge with a manual trans and a hard top. Maybe an E36. Maybe just parts for the GTA and Caprice.

Car is still getting plenty of miles on it splitting commuter duty with the Saturn. Nothing major to report.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
6/14/19 8:36 p.m.

So before I bought this car I posted a what car thread asking if I should get this car or go find a Crown Vic. Well I'm going to meet a guy tomorrow to maybe trade the Mustang for an '03 Crown Vic.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
6/19/19 12:08 a.m.

So the Crown Vic guy flaked and then somebody offered me a junk Monte Carlo for it. I still own the car. So with that. It's probably as ready as it's going to be. So I guess me and car's first autocross is going to be on the 30th. 

I want to at least get one or 2 events in before the Challenge and Humphrey isn't ready yet. So crusty Mustang it is.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/6/19 12:41 a.m.

So update on this car. I freshened it up a bit getting it ready for an autocross. Had a setback and missed that event. Then a guy offered me a trade I didn't expect to like; a 2005 Toyota 4runner. I was really thinking I needed to get rid if one of my 3 20+ year old v8 toys. Humphrey isn't going anywhere for a while so it was between this car and my GTA. The GTA is the one I like more even if it is way farther away from being a driver. So I'm pretty ok with the Mustang leaving.

So yeah. I got most of what I wanted out of this car and never really fell in love with it. I wish I had actually gotten to autocross it, but at least I won't be soaking up money building a heavy floppy convertible just because I have it now.

GarageGorilla
GarageGorilla New Reader
7/7/19 11:23 a.m.
Daylan C said:

So update on this car. I freshened it up a bit getting it ready for an autocross. Had a setback and missed that event. Then a guy offered me a trade I didn't expect to like; a 2005 Toyota 4runner. I was really thinking I needed to get rid if one of my 3 20+ year old v8 toys. Humphrey isn't going anywhere for a while so it was between this car and my GTA. The GTA is the one I like more even if it is way farther away from being a driver. So I'm pretty ok with the Mustang leaving.

So yeah. I got most of what I wanted out of this car and never really fell in love with it. I wish I had actually gotten to autocross it, but at least I won't be soaking up money building a heavy floppy convertible just because I have it now.

That is an awesome trade! Im assuming its the 4.0 rather than the 4.7? 2 or 4WD? I'm a Mustang guy, an SN95 lover, and I would trade a ratted out auto convertible non-pi SN95 for any 4th gen 4Runner any day of the week.

I have a 2005 4.7 4WD 4Runner SR5 with 161k miles on it and it is a tank.

Little sad to see you SN95 go, but I think its probably a better idea to start fresh with a coupe as opposed to messing with the tired and loose convertible.

I too am in the middle of a New Edge build and sometime I will get a thread going here after I've had a chance to organize my photos, timeline, and thoughts. At the risk of high jacking the thread, here is one photo:

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/7/19 11:34 a.m.

It's a 4.0 4wd SR5 Sport. High miles but it's clean inside and out and everything felt solid when I drove it. I like the SN95 and I'm sure I'll get another Mustang at some point, but no real immediate plans. (Holding onto my T45 for future use etc). Good luck with your new edge, post as much as you want in this thread it's about to go dead pretty soon unless something goes sideways with the Toyota deal. I'm still waiting for a call back from the current owner about clearing a lein on the title, so the Mustang is still in my possession, should know for sure by the end of the week.

GarageGorilla
GarageGorilla New Reader
7/7/19 12:09 p.m.
Daylan C said:

It's a 4.0 4wd SR5 Sport. High miles but it's clean inside and out and everything felt solid when I drove it. I like the SN95 and I'm sure I'll get another Mustang at some point, but no real immediate plans. (Holding onto my T45 for future use etc). Good luck with your new edge, post as much as you want in this thread it's about to go dead pretty soon unless something goes sideways with the Toyota deal. I'm still waiting for a call back from the current owner about clearing a lein on the title, so the Mustang is still in my possession, should know for sure by the end of the week.

Fingers crossed crossed for your deal to go through. Any 4th gen 4Runner with basic maintenance should get to 250k miles easily. I’m expecting at least 300k out of mine.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/13/19 9:42 p.m.

Is it normal to put ~300 miles in 2 days on a car you're trying to get rid of?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AjATizqgxdUELWOva3K9hDkDebysp5ukNfIeNMuJwv0v2bHFEjJ2JO604vLRGxIq