Dirtboat
Dirtboat New Reader
11/20/18 12:03 a.m.

Hey all,

I'm building a mid engine '66 Corvair and am using a Ford BB Top Loader re-splined and mounted to a Corvette C5 differential.  The engine is an LS with a classic Lakewood bell housing which I need to re-drill for the Ford "butterfly" pattern (8 bolt).  I can probably just transfer punch the pattern, but I'd really like to have a drawing with the correct bolt spacing (which I have) related to the crank center (which I DON'T have).

Can anyone steer me to a location where I can find these dimensions?

Thanks,
Dirtboat

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
11/20/18 5:32 a.m.

Hang on IT will appear. 

please A PICTURE, AND WHY NOT A gm trans

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
11/20/18 9:13 a.m.

Don't know if this is the specific Toploader bolt pattern you're looking for but it does have dimensions:  https://classicmotorsports.com/forum/grm/homemade-bellhousing-project/31440/page1/

Dirtboat
Dirtboat New Reader
11/20/18 7:57 p.m.
GTXVette said:

Hang on IT will appear. 

please A PICTURE, AND WHY NOT A gm trans

In the Corvair mid engine V8 world the traditional transaxle (Crown V8 Adaptor) is a stock Corvair Saginaw driven from the front which still leaves the weak differential case.  If you want a manual shift in the same configuration it has to be something like a full size Saginaw, Jerico or Top Loader with the reverse gear in the case and not in the tail shaft (no Muncie's or T5's).  I'm running a Corvette C5 differential which conveniently can take either a Saginaw or Powerglide with nothing other than an adapter plate, however I chose to take a different path. I'm going to use an aluminum case wide ratio Big Block Top Loader with it's robust input and output shafts and re-spline the output shaft to Saginaw for the C5 diff.  So basically the WHY NOT is that I didn't just want another cookie cutter car, I wanted to be different....and maybe better!

Dirtboat
Dirtboat New Reader
11/20/18 8:00 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

That's the very article which inspired me to sign up with Grassroots.  But he didn't supply the trans to bell housing dimensions and it seems he's no longer listed as a member (couldn't contact).

wawazat
wawazat Reader
11/20/18 8:07 p.m.

California Pony Cars offers a T5 adapter that bolts a T5 (T56/TKO) trans to the OEM Ford Top Loader bell housing.  Is that what you're looking for?  I've got one in my garage for my upcoming TKO swap.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
11/20/18 8:32 p.m.

I was wondering if you could use the transmission that came with the C5 differential...since it's designed to work with a torque tube on the front of course that would need adapting as well, but it would certainly be strong enough.  However, I don't know well it would fit in the car (or in your budget).

Dirtboat
Dirtboat New Reader
11/21/18 5:24 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

No, as nice as it would be to have a 5 speed, the reverse gear MUST be in the transmission case and not in the tail shaft to keep the transaxle length as short as possible.  It all has to fit behind the driver seat, and I've already committed to using my GM Lakewood bell housing.  But thanks for the offer

Dirtboat
Dirtboat New Reader
11/21/18 5:28 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

I've seen the C5 manual and automatic directly coupled to the differential (it's an easy project), but the transmission is so much longer that it's impractical for my application. Unless you don't mind the steering wheel in your chest. :-)

Vairefast
Vairefast
4/5/19 12:43 a.m.

Any updates on your progress? 

GTXVette
GTXVette UltraDork
4/5/19 8:31 a.m.

I am Doing A C4 but having Seating Problems. I've got to Get the tranny Behind the Diff. there has been a great thread on this started by Gingerbeardman.  Got any pics of the car.

Dirtboat
Dirtboat New Reader
6/23/19 7:07 p.m.

I find it interesting how hard it is to find the Ford trans dimensions for something that went into service in the sixties.  Still no luck on bolt pattern.  I guess it's down to using drift punches.

cdeforrest
cdeforrest New Reader
6/23/19 7:49 p.m.

Top Loader + C5..anything. Well you don’t see that every day. You’re a..Pioneer! Yes. That’s it. ;)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Fp1G5eCtvPDoKToofxe398g5sEdq3NUiROVQ1iCTZsXng7VKmm138VNwPdpyoyLx