1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 109
TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
7/1/19 7:34 a.m.

Most powder coat is above 300*F which is too close to annealing for my comfort.

mke
mke Reader
7/1/19 7:40 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

That is kind of where my head was heading.....I want it do disability but I really don't want soft wheels that bend.  

mke
mke Reader
7/3/19 7:49 a.m.

So...I'm no longer sure China wheels are happening.  When it came time to pay they expected Western Union which is kind of a non-starter for  me.  I think we're now at last and final on terms offer and I really don't expect them to accept :(

But when 1 door closes....wheelflip  says they have a selection of center forgings available.  I sent them some basic info and asked for any drawings/models or whatever they can share so I can do a 3pc design....I had started this way but never finished it after I found china 1 pc guy.  This is where I left off with it

mke
mke Reader
7/3/19 12:12 p.m.

Saga continues.  I after I told China guy no deposit without references or other proff he's ever actually made wheels for anyone China guy sent me pics from a job they did for a guy in Sweden.  Pics of what looks like wheels in China, what looks like the same wheels on a car in what could be sweden, pic of shipping docs, pic of wire transfer receipt.

I sent a $510 deposit....and am still breathing because Lana hasn't realized yet.  If the money vanished I'll start a go fund me page so everyone who's learned form my actions can pay what they feel is fair for thre new knowledge. wink

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/3/19 12:44 p.m.

In reply to mke :

i'm in for $20

mke
mke Reader
7/3/19 12:56 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

yes

LOL

China guy did say this just wasn't enough money for him to bother trying to steal so I guess that makes it ok.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/3/19 12:59 p.m.

In reply to mke :

He sounds like an honest guy. I'm good for $20.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/3/19 1:51 p.m.

I can do 10. Just because i never thought that some of the stuff you've done is even POSSIBLE, let alone within the realm of normal car guy.

mke
mke Reader
7/3/19 1:58 p.m.

Its still a hypothetical at this point...I figure there's about a 30% chance the deposit will lead to wheels and I won't be facing execution at home, and that seemed worth the risk.....because Lana wasn't standing next to me explain how stupid I'd need to be to fall for such an obvious scam.  But I can hang on to hope for about 30 day I guess.  It's like the lottery in a way.....

ebelements
ebelements New Reader
7/3/19 2:12 p.m.

In reply to mke :

I love everything about this current chinese multipiece wheel endeavor and I hope that Lana doesn't murder you in your sleep when she finds out because boy howdy do I need this thread to keep moving forward if for nothing besides the pure and unfiltered joy it brings me.

mke
mke Reader
7/3/19 9:14 p.m.

China guy (Steven) says he got the deposit and will put the order in today.  I asked for pics start to finish......lots nice to have pics and gives me a reason to bother him sooner rather than later.

mke
mke Reader
7/4/19 9:40 a.m.

day 1 complete and I'm not dead yet!  Lana clearly has a lot on her mind at the moment so I guess I times it perfectly!  She just asked how much and barely rolled her eyes!  Things could still go wrong and this could back during basically any "discussion" in the future but for the moment no need for the go fund me page :)

Steven say no problemo on pics so all good so far.  Yesterday he asked if I'd check caliper clearance on the design work so it still seems like he's planning to make wheel.

mke
mke Reader
7/5/19 7:09 a.m.

Today's question was do I need a logo on the center caps.  I said no the wheels are designed to use OEM ferrari caps but this on the back of 1 of the spokes would be great if possible

I thnk I posted, its a logo a buddy made me for the back of the car....it basically translates as "evil twin"  I was trying to figure out want to call the car (that is a big deal in the ferrari circle, that and want brand wax is best :) ) and came up with evil twin then realized its the same number of letters as the oem "quattrovavole" logo so I had a buddy  lay it out and machine it for me in the oem front and size.  Its machines and black anodized and sitting somewhere waiting for me to do the white inlay paint and put it on the car....luckily I get distracted easily so it wasn't done and on the car during the fire so its safe.

stock emblem:

The follow up was asking if I needed center caps., I don't but it seems they were probably included in the quote so I must be over paying by at least $10 or $20!  :)

edit - Wow, Steven emailed back to confirm I own the copyright to the logo.  Didn't expect that.

mke
mke Reader
7/8/19 9:37 p.m.

I got an email asking for a 2d dfx format drawing for the lathe guy.....shoot!  on vaca with the family so not a lot of  time to make drawings  frown  it seems there will be a delay.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
7/8/19 9:55 p.m.

In reply to mke :

I can make a dxf from a cad file if you have remote access.

As dusterbd13 said, you've redefined what I thought could be done, its the least I could do to help out.

mke
mke Reader
7/9/19 6:54 p.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

Thanks.  The kids were exhausted after a day in the magic kingdom yesterday so today was a down day iat the hotel which gave me some time to figure out how to make a drawing with onshape.....not great but probably good enough to send before we head to Universal in the morning.

18x8.5 drawing

18x10 drawing

mke
mke Reader
7/10/19 7:06 a.m.

From Steven

"Hi Mark,will those wheels be mounted on vehicle?If yes,your design need to be redrawing,because our engineer found your designs have many mistakes."

...hmmmmmm.  i asked if he could be more specific.  The 2D comes directly from the 3D  model so if there are errors they are in the model not the drawing.

Samebutdifferent
Samebutdifferent New Reader
7/10/19 7:22 a.m.

I'm sure that gives you all kinds of warm and fuzzy feelings about the company...

Syscrush
Syscrush New Reader
7/10/19 9:21 a.m.

Lots of interesting developments in here. Good luck!

mke
mke Reader
7/10/19 9:54 a.m.

"Normally,we design 2D drawing and then 3D drawing.My engineer said some where is too thin,this will affect safety,and some measurements are not correct.He advise to redraw the drawing by us,because we are specialized in wheels and have more experience on that."

I told him go ahead and redraw, but I need to approve anything visable.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/19 10:05 a.m.

In reply to mke :

did they give you a price for their redraw?   i imagine they're not just going to comp it.   either way, sounds like they've got enough experience to recognize these areas rather than just start casting/cutting.

mke
mke Reader
7/10/19 10:32 a.m.

Im confused because the forging drawings had wheels in them and I just took their wheel drawing and pasted the rim into my design....so it's already their design.  Well see

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
7/11/19 12:29 p.m.

This thread continues to be awesome. I had no idea onshape existed, but what a cool way to share drawings/models.

mke
mke Reader
7/15/19 7:48 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

In reply to mke :

did they give you a price for their redraw?   i imagine they're not just going to comp it.   either way, sounds like they've got enough experience to recognize these areas rather than just start casting/cutting.

These rederings popped into my inbox this morning.....looks like its all redrawn with no request for more money...yet.  I only saw 1 little cosmetic issue on image 3...the counterbore should be the same DIA as the rib so they blend without a line.  I asked for that to be fixed and also asked if I could see the actual drawing so I can understand what exactly changed.

Syscrush
Syscrush New Reader
7/15/19 11:14 a.m.

I have way too much emotional investment in this thread - I'll be out and about living my normal life and find myself thinking "Jesus, I hope that those wheels for mke's project turn out well." I feel like the project, your marriage, and US-China relations are all hanging on this order. :)

Good luck, can't wait to see how this chapter turns out.

1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 109

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LF81QylffV9U9OKn3kLZhU4N0a9Mzh9jWlVmYwFPb0dZ0yDHkYfoVrT9gnyYr1wj