1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 109
Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
7/29/19 4:45 p.m.

I dont know if you're serious on using the pool as a reservoir but make sure all plumbing & equipment is good for chlorine or salt (whatevers in your pool). 

mke
mke Reader
7/29/19 7:11 p.m.

In reply to Kendall_Jones :

I'm am serious...Lana may change my mind but I'd like use the water tank I already have.  Yes, the salt and chlorine are a concern, but I think if I drain when not it use it should be ok....should....

mke
mke Reader
7/30/19 6:40 a.m.
Samebutdifferent said:

I foresee much fabrication in your future...   yes

I would really like to built something like this dynomite unit ($10250 as shown, with manual control valve and a data logging setup).  I'm just not sure I want to have to store something that big.  Maybe If I can also make a top fot it so its a shop bench most of the time?  My other thought is that I have a pretty serious welding/fab table I built and it would be pretty easy to just bolt an engine stand to the top of it and call it done, that's probably what I'll do...but the dynamite setup sure looks nice......

Samebutdifferent
Samebutdifferent New Reader
7/30/19 7:06 a.m.

I like the idea of maximizing space by adding multiple use cases to single tasking components.  This is where you can leverage your engineering expertise to easily transform the welding bench to dyno stand in "just minutes".   After all, how often are you going to have an engine on the stand for testing?

As for the roller set up, that is a bigger project and one that will be more difficult to store when it's not in use.  However, I have total confidence you have a solution for that too.

Syscrush
Syscrush New Reader
7/30/19 8:17 a.m.

I can't believe that the photo of a finished wheel has been so glossed over here. :)

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/30/19 8:22 a.m.

Huh, I missed that pic 2 pages ago.

Looks good!

Why not return the water to the pool?

Samebutdifferent
7/30/19 8:27 a.m.

In reply to Syscrush :

I can't ether... Oh snap, I missed it too.

It looks fantastic.  The last picture I saw was the rendering and that was pretty slick.  To see one actually done is even better.  Talk about quick turnaround.  Wow.  I was holding my breath thinking this would never happen. 

Money sent overseas to someone you have never met to make something no one has ever done before...  Seems legit.

mke
mke Reader
7/30/19 8:28 a.m.
Syscrush said:

I can't believe that the photo of a finished wheel has been so glossed over here. :)

I'm pretty ADD...it can be hard to follow at times, I'm sooo over wheels :)

Waiting on the pick of 4 painted and ready to ship wheels though.

mke
mke Reader
7/30/19 8:36 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Why not return the water to the pool?

That's what I would do.....but Lana is pretty strick about anything that could expose the children to ...well anything.  The "its just a water pump no different from the pool pump" was not convincing.  If the water or anything else goes into the shop it doesn't go back in the pool or house seems to be the line.  No point in arguing, just follow the rules and life is better.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/30/19 8:57 a.m.

I'm a little concerned that you may violate some ordinance, or law by just dumping it to the ground.

Also, that can't be very good for the environment to let chemically treated water go to the ground. 

Just some thoughts.

I would wait until she left, let some water out of a hose to make it look like you dumped it in the driveway and just pump it back to the pool.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/30/19 9:18 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

I'm a little concerned that you may violate some ordinance, or law by just dumping it to the ground.

Also, that can't be very good for the environment to let chemically treated water go to the ground. 

Just some thoughts.

I would wait until she left, let some water out of a hose to make it look like you dumped it in the driveway and just pump it back to the pool.

Where else would old pool water go? Plenty of people put up temporary pools for the summer that are chlorinated and everything, end of the year that water is getting dumped.

Samebutdifferent
7/30/19 9:54 a.m.

If the water can not go back into the pool, then you will need to ensure the water level doesn't drop below the skimmers during your dyno pulls.  If it's a salt water pool, then salt will need to be added of course depending on the level you started with and the amount you dumped in the storm sewer.  If the pump is running at the 6000 gph rate and the average dyno run lasts 1-2 minutes, then you are only talking about 100-200 gallons of water being consumed per run.  Seems reasonable to me.

mke
mke Reader
7/30/19 11:12 a.m.
AWSX1686 said:
wvumtnbkr said:

Where else would old pool water go? Plenty of people put up temporary pools for the summer that are chlorinated and everything, end of the year that water is getting dumped.

There are no rules or even concerns about dumping pool water that I know of?  I'm thinking that for the amount of actual run time I expect this would be a lot like backwashing a filter....doesn't really concern anyone.  In the spring I pumped the whole pool dry to sand it with the only concern being not saturating my neighbors yard.  at least that's the situation here in the NE where we get 40+ inches of rain and salt in a reservoir or water usage are not real issues, I  could see it might be more an issue in an area with more strained water resources.

There is a fall back plan of portable, foldable tanks which would also work fine, just more bother to set up and tear down.

mke
mke Reader
7/31/19 7:36 a.m.
Samebutdifferent said:

I like the idea of maximizing space by adding multiple use cases to single tasking components.  This is where you can leverage your engineering expertise to easily transform the welding bench to dyno stand in "just minutes".   After all, how often are you going to have an engine on the stand for testing?

As for the roller set up, that is a bigger project and one that will be more difficult to store when it's not in use.  However, I have total confidence you have a solution for that too.

Tha'ts where my head is.  The welding bench is pretty strong, I built it years ago when I worked in a fab shop big chunks of metal available for purchase.  I've been thinking about narrowing the 2 legs of the "T" frame and adding wheeling so I can push it a bit more out of the way when not in use....and now I'm thinking make an engine cradle that bolt to a few of the 1/2-13 tie-down holes on the table and it pretty much IS the dynamite setup.  That's probably what I'll do.

The roller setup...yeah that will take space.  It also requires I add a 4 post lift, so car on lift, lift drops down and locks to the rollers, its a chassis dyno.  If I keep it very low profile I might be able to do it with just a set of ramps.....everything could be aluminum....that will need some thought and planning but it would be really nice to have.  It only I had planned for it when I put heating pipes in the floor.......

mke
mke Reader
7/31/19 8:16 a.m.

Because I'm ADD and there isn't quite enough going on request for quotes sent to the piston, sleeve and head gasket people.   I'm thinking get the block sorted then the heads.

Fraser
Fraser New Reader
7/31/19 8:39 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

I was over from the UK to my villa on Florida in may to resurface my pool, and asked the water company what to do with the water. They told me to dump it down the drain, so that's where approx 16/20k gallons went!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
7/31/19 8:58 a.m.

Another option with a dyno is to get one of those big lawn service water tanks and use it for a reservoir. We did that at our old shop location with a water braked Dynapack.

mke
mke Reader
7/31/19 9:36 a.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

Another option with a dyno is to get one of those big lawn service water tanks and use it for a reservoir. We did that at our old shop location with a water braked Dynapack.

yes and just roll it outside when not needed. 

Or something like this that folds....but the pool sure seems the easiest.

folding tank

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
7/31/19 9:55 a.m.

In reply to mke :

That is a BURLY table. Me likey!

mke
mke Reader
7/31/19 2:29 p.m.

In reply to sobe_death :

I built it for making motorcycle frames and keeping them straight while I welded.   1.5" steel ground flat to .005" over the whole face....at least it was in about 1990.  Even with the mag drill I had access to back then it took forever to drill and trap all the strapping bolt holes.  Then it did the same for a couple fsae frames....I had an mg midget on it once fixing rotted front frame part as part of a 2.9 V6 GM engine, it is quite strong and I think will make a most excellent dyno base.

FooBag
FooBag GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/31/19 3:39 p.m.
mke said:

I called and got the pump curve for the northern pump...looks about perfect.  60psi is about 140ft and 6000gpm is the point of interest and it looks like the pump delivers closer to 7000 so that should mean it can hold 60psi and handle flow for engine cooling too I think.  Nice.

Make sure you are considering friction loss in your calculations. 100 GPM will burn 9psi per 100' in 2" smooth pipe and far more in corrugated, flexible pipe.

Are you sure you want to go with an engine driven pump? This just sounds like a pain in the rear to me. If you are interested in an electric option, I could potentially help you out as I work as an engineer in the pump industry. Just shoot me a private message if you want to discuss further.

mke
mke Reader
7/31/19 3:53 p.m.

In reply to FooBag :

Ok, I give up trying to figureout how to do a PM, my email is:

mark@gemellocattivo.com

My thought with a gas pump and roll up (but smooth) hose was storage and pump goes at the pool so small suction loss.  I was thinking a pressure regulator at the pump to get down to the 3" hose limit of 70psi...should be under 100ft but not by a lot if I go pool to front garage door.

Al electric pump could be on a VFC and not need a stepper load valve I guess....stuska does it that way, not sure about others.  But the gas pump is $900, then like $300-$500 for hose and a pressure reducer/regulator.  Not sure where I'd be on the electric pump path, that would probably move me to a tank in shop solution.  Shoot me an email and we can discuss.

Nader
Nader New Reader
7/31/19 6:22 p.m.
mke said:

They say when the gods wants to punish you they grant your wishes......

...today's punishment came in the form of an older but looking brand new go power engine dyno. I think it's a DA-512 which is rated to  750ftlb, 800hp, 10,000rpm.  It might be a little low hp wise for my engine but I'm pretty sure that with a little work on the water feed it's a 1000-1200 hp unit....pretty sure.

Please Sir, may I have another :)

Well, another to thing to worry about if your wishes are granted, is that you'll have Scuderia Ferrari and Lorenzo Sassi kicking down your door to find out how you got 900 naturally aspirated HP from an older engine.  They'll find a way to sue you for the engine, then bury it in a graveyard, like the GRX engine designed by Ben Cranum.

mke
mke Reader
7/31/19 7:50 p.m.

In reply to Nader :

LOL

Ferrari does like to sue, but normally when you use actual ferrari parts you're pretty safe, although they may make an exception for me  ...so best that no matter what the engine actually makes I falsify the report and say it make WAY less so when I get this set up and say  the dyno says its only 750 not 900 you'll all know the truth :)

SammyPati
SammyPati
8/1/19 9:15 a.m.

Hi

With the ITB setup ,  the circuit diagram shows a TS951N , I assume this is a comparator?

I can’t seem to find those anywhere, are you sure that is the correct code for it?

Thanks

Sam

1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 109

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HHdq1nHLQmlkAq8dZ1umDI0x3EcoIqcEMoUvf2V966c8HsgSXInw2zuUmDF03JiL