1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 109
mke
mke HalfDork
9/18/19 10:16 a.m.
Syscrush said:

I'd love to build a car like mke's, but I'm not qualified to fit the valve stems. laugh

LOL, ok, when you say it that way it's pretty frikin funny laugh

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
9/18/19 11:31 a.m.
mke said:

So first get the wheel and right angle head to both fit and indicated in...head aligned with table travel and centered in the existing hole, and wheel indicated so the existing c'bore face is square....the cut and check... perfect.  3 more to cut and touch up the paint.

So, is that a right-angle adapter for a vertical mill?  And is it designed specifically for your mill?

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
9/18/19 11:37 a.m.
ShawnG said:

Posts like this should be on every forum so that when someone hears that I have a lathe and a mill, they will see the setup involved and understand why we charge accordingly for one-off parts.

As a novice learning how to use a mill mostly via my own mistakes and YouTube, the combo of time, machinist skills, and tooling mean real machinists can't possibly be charging enough for most stuff!  mke mentions the $100 cutter for this job, but that's just the tip of the iceberg with the mill itself, all the tooling, work hold-down stuff, measuring equipment, etc.  It's a steep learning curve in more ways than one, but I'm enjoying it!  Of course, probably helps that I'm not trying to make any money off it.

mke
mke HalfDork
9/18/19 11:40 a.m.
NorseDave said:

So, is that a right-angle adapter for a vertical mill?  And is it designed specifically for your mill?

Yes, for a vertical mill.  It fits any bridgeport clone.....really handy at times.

Right angle head

Repost from way back at the beginning ot the thread....same right angle head gun drill the cam blanks

mke
mke HalfDork
9/18/19 7:24 p.m.

Finished cutting the other 3.  Went to the auto store for paint, seemed like 15-20 different silver shades, none match very well. :( 

It's just in the space no one will see so I bought one.  Standing at the counter the guy looks at the wheel and says, "wow, that's a really pretty wheel!" Don't know why I care what parts store guy thinks but it made me feel pretty good :)

mke
mke HalfDork
9/19/19 7:30 p.m.

Tires on, waiting on bolts 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/19 7:48 p.m.

In reply to mke :

Lawdy that's pretty!

mke
mke HalfDork
9/20/19 4:04 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Thanks.   I can't wait for the bolts to get here (UPS says today) so I can set it down for a proper look...its got the rally car look going on up on the jacks, plus I want to confirm I got the offsets right for fender clearance....I tried to err on the metal safe side so they should be sticking too far out if anything because I'd way rather need to cut a little off the mounting face than need to add spacers.

mke
mke HalfDork
9/20/19 3:36 p.m.

Bolts came

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
9/20/19 3:46 p.m.

Man, that looks spectacular.  That blue looks incredible on the 308.   

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
9/20/19 4:24 p.m.

Those look great!

Thanks for sharing all this btw. I've been showing it to some of my mechanically gifted friends and the consensus has been that you're a madman.

Please take that as a compliment.

Samebutdifferent
Samebutdifferent New Reader
9/20/19 4:25 p.m.

surprise  Speechless...

I've always loved the 308 from the first day I saw it.  I also thought the only color it should come in was red...  I stand corrected.  Blue rocks and I love it.

I also was disappointed to learn very early on the 308 wasn't a v12...  You have answered my dreams on all fronts.  I can hardly wait for the engine rebuild, dyno testing and finally on the autocross circuit.  I don't know if I can wait until next year to see that.  I'm too excited!

I too am not qualified to install valve stems...

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/20/19 10:26 p.m.

I'm gonna need a minute. I didn't expect outside pictures and that was a bit overwhelming surprise

The wheels look stellar. Congrats on seeing them fully thru, and thanks for sharing that journey. Cool stuff! Oh yeah, blue and tan; also awesome!

mke
mke HalfDork
9/21/19 5:57 a.m.

Thanks everyone.  I had to see it on the ground...and once it was down I figured roll it out and get the dust off.

I might have already posted this, but when I was car shopping I was looking for a red car, I probably would have settled for black, but I was looking for red so I ignored the listing for a blue car for a few months.  At the time (summer of 2000) a nice QV was 35-45, nice early car about the same, nice 2Vi maybe 25.  The budget in my head was 12....so I looked at a couple wrecks but was smart enough to price a few major parts and quickly realized the parts have to all be there or its not worth buying. 

I really wasn't looking for a big project, just something to drive and cleanup/fix up over time.....I was finding nothing, up the budget,  upped the budget again to 25 which was just a little bit more than every penny I could scrape together figuring maybe I could sell a kidney or something.  Now I could look at pretty nice but badly underpowered 2Vi cars, I didn't want a badly underpowered car i wanted a QV, a little rough would be fine (because I wasn't smart enough to price interior parts or paint or understand what fixing a stupid little oil leak could cost)....nothing but the blue car.....it was pretty rough (interior about shot, leaking oil and coolant, paint ...rough...and blue)  but it was a QV......it wasn't rusted.....my friends will (and did) tease me about the color but a blue car that needs paint is a red car.....I bought it...over the pretty new internet....from AZ, I lived in NY at the time and luckily the owner talked me out of trying to fly out and drive it home because there is no frikin way it would have made it.....and I had spent more than everything I had to get so nothing at all left to fix it.....and no garage to park it in....but I owned it! A blue ferrari that wanted to be red.

19 years later I'm still working on "fixing it up", this is the 3rd engine build (V8 rebuild and supercharge 400hp, bigger supercharge 600hp, V12 900hp maybe) and it's still a blue car that needs paint......that I can't even imagine as anything other than a blue car and have no idea why I ever though it should be red.

With that back story about really going out of my way and nearly losing a kidney to make sure I had a QV no matter how rough it had to be or how many meals I had to skip for it "fit" my budget I'm sure it now makes TOTAL sense to everyone why the V12 had to have 4v heads!  I mean, it can't be that hard and will totally be worth it!

.....and after the wheels it should also be clear how easily I'm distracted by things that become massive projects, anyone with 1/2 a clue should see they will become massive effort and yet much like Charlie Brown and the football I jump in every time  :)

Edit: too many words, pic required..... just don't look too close at the paint condition, it really needs a respray 

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
9/21/19 8:19 a.m.

In reply to mke :

That’s probably what I’d like most about it. It needs a re-spray and yet you stuffed a V12  in because you really understand what’s important.  

Please don’t respray. I am filled right up to here ( hands at eyeball level) with mega dollar flawless paint jobs on Ferrari’s.  At times I feel that’s what most Ferrari’s are, just expensive paint jobs. 

I had a good steady customer drag me to inspect a Super America he was looking at buying.  For hours I crawled around, under, and over making notes.   

Back at the shop, I spent nearly an hour typing up my report, only to find out all he really cared about was the paint. 

It actually disappointed him that I thought it needed a careful buffing and a few coats of wax. Somehow if he could strip it down and repaint it it would make it his, but if it’s just some “mechanical stuff” and a wax job he wasn’t interested. 

Non Ferrari owners will be impressed ( and properly so)  with the whole car. Knowledgeable  Ferrari owners will recognize what you’ve done and be impressed. 

Other  types of Ferrari owners will only be impressed by more expensive Ferrari’s  or the newest Ferrari. 

The true Cognoscenti will recognize your brilliance and be impressed with the patina.   

mke
mke HalfDork
9/21/19 9:56 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

I have to at least fix the paint and lights on the back the blistered in the shop fire.  And I have that crazy vacuum pump I drug home and didn't use to make wheels so I guess I'll need to make a rear decklid and that will need paint.

Engine right first though.  Then the suspension needs help unless the engine ends up not fitting under the stock decklid (I have a plan for a tuned airbox) and I actually need to do that project to drive.

....then I think there should be some driving and an autox or 12......then a 33 Ford roadster with the flathead Lincoln V12 sitting in parts on the floor waiting its turn.....then it might be time to paint the ferrari ...unless another project pops up :)

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/21/19 5:17 p.m.
mke said:

In reply to frenchyd :

I have to at least fix the paint and lights on the back the blistered in the shop fire.  And I have that crazy vacuum pump I drug home and didn't use to make wheels so I guess I'll need to make a rear decklid and that will need paint.

Engine right first though.  Then the suspension needs help unless the engine ends up not fitting under the stock decklid (I have a plan for a tuned airbox) and I actually need to do that project to drive.

....then I think there should be some driving and an autox or 12......then a 33 Ford roadster with the flathead Lincoln V12 sitting in parts on the floor waiting its turn.....then it might be time to paint the ferrari ...unless another project pops up :)

"33 Ford roadster with the flathead Lincoln V12"

<eyes roll back into head>

Azryael
Azryael New Reader
9/21/19 5:50 p.m.

I love that blue, but I'm biased because it looks very close in color to the blue of my truck.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/21/19 6:12 p.m.

Subtle wheel choice. I mean that in the best possible way. 

Inspirational.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
9/22/19 10:06 a.m.

The wheels look like they belong there. Nice job getting them made. 

Nader
Nader New Reader
9/22/19 10:18 a.m.

The wheels look great.  Any thought to making a big run of them and selling to other Ferrari owners?  You know, for off-road use only?  :)   Would be a good low-effort side hustle that could pay for this and other projects.

You should do it before the Chinese factory does it on their own.

mke
mke HalfDork
9/22/19 11:07 a.m.
Nader said:

The wheels look great.  Any thought to making a big run of them and selling to other Ferrari owners?  You know, for off-road use only?  :)   Would be a good low-effort side hustle that could pay for this and other projects.

You should do it before the Chinese factory does it on their own.

There's not much of a market.  These cars are into collectable territory no so most want stock.  I posted on one of the ferrari forums (where someone had started a thread pointing to this thread) and one guy reached out about wanting a kind of similar 17" set.  I did  design for him and he's checking some measurements this weekend so I can finalize and get them ordered for him.  other than that.....I need to do some website rework and will try to get them up with pricing....but honestly I don't expect to ever sell more than 1 or 2 sets.  I know a place that sells these kind of part who MIGHT be interested in listing them...might....

I think there might be a market for 1 off custom sets but that's more work to support.  I know a couple guys who are pretty creative and would probably be interested......this is harder though because you need to figure out what is in some else's head and try to deliver it while working with off the shelf blanks.  

Certainly is anyone reading this has an idea for custom wheels you really want I'm here for you :)

mke
mke HalfDork
9/22/19 11:27 a.m.
Shadeux said:

"33 Ford roadster with the flathead Lincoln V12"

<eyes roll back into head>

When the day arrives there will be a thread. 

The engine ia almost exactly the same displacement as the ferrari, they'll probably match once I clean out the lincoln bores....but the Lincoln is 125-135hp stock.  Its only a 4 bearing block not 7 like a modern block so its rpm limited, stock is 3800, 5000 maybe is ok..maybe....so the only viable path to hp is a blower.  I have a set of cool finned aluminum head castings that need finish machine for it. 

I might get it to 250hp give or take (but it should be 300-350 ftlb torque)  so the car needs to be pretty light to be fun.  i keep going back and forth mentally about just buying a factory five kit and making my life simple or buying some 4130 tubing and making a step in space frame 1200lb paddle l shift auotx capable car.....but the ferrari needs at least 2 more years before I'm free and then the engine a 3rd so I have time.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
9/22/19 12:39 p.m.
mke said: i keep going back and forth mentally about ... making my life simple...

Well we all know that's not going to happen.

mke
mke HalfDork
9/22/19 1:07 p.m.
NorseDave said:
mke said: i keep going back and forth mentally about ... making my life simple...

Well we all know that's not going to happen.

LOL...I guess I'm the only one who still believes my lies :)

Someday.....

1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 109

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Wgwb2JsHCSSqwBxsurP8BCeHl679t3UPHNWL1IJjT01zunPAHC1vrULVFRZHdu2R