1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 ... 109
mke
mke HalfDork
10/13/19 8:43 a.m.

Order has been restored this morning 

java230
java230 UberDork
10/13/19 11:43 a.m.

Glad he wasn't under it. All boxes need a good cleaning every once in awhile! 

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/13/19 4:18 p.m.

Very glad he did not get hurt. I moved mine a couple times today and after the first push and 1 drawer slid open I got the key and locked it up.

mke
mke HalfDork
10/15/19 10:26 a.m.

I was at a defense industry show yesterday and spotted another nice option in the v12 doesn't work out....very smooth they said

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/15/19 10:33 a.m.

So your next diversion is really high gear reduction so you can get all that to the wheels, oh and a really big exhaust stack.

mke
mke HalfDork
10/15/19 10:44 a.m.

When I was still getting the V12 party rolling a complete TR engine/trans popped up for sale and after a bit of measuring it would not have been that hard to install it...but I decided to stay the course on the V12. 

The reason that engine was available is the guy was installing a turbine....where is that...ahh, here

testarrosa turbine

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/19 12:24 p.m.

In reply to mke :

Sounds like you handled it well.  I bet he'll never forget the noise that made. 

i tried to catch a smaller version of that bottom box when it tipped over due to me using too short a ramp to get it out of my van.  dislocated bones in wrist, tore ligaments, took two surgeries / three permanent screws / six temporary pins / 58 stitches to put my wrist back together.  :-(

mke
mke HalfDork
10/15/19 3:15 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Oh man.....sorry to hear about that.

yeah, as we got the crane to right things and sorted wrenches and such we had a nice talk about how lucky he was it didn't fall on him and then about just how heavy things in the shop can be and how important stepping (or jumping) to the side is the only right thing to do when heavy stuff starts to fall because it just stuff that can be repaired ot replaced.  Mama banned him from the shop without supervision...at least for a few weeks.

AngryCorvair
10/15/19 3:31 p.m.
mke said:

and how important stepping (or jumping) to the side is the only right thing to do when heavy stuff starts to fall

QFT.  it would have been a lot easier to pick up my tools with two good arms...

Syscrush
Syscrush New Reader
10/16/19 9:24 a.m.
mke said:

I was at a defense industry show yesterday and spotted another nice option in the v12 doesn't work out....very smooth they said

Plus it'll run on biodiesel, right?

mke
mke HalfDork
10/16/19 12:35 p.m.
Syscrush said:
mke said:

Plus it'll run on biodiesel, right?

The thought 1/2 running through my head involved something like the the electric car thread

electric car

but with a small turbine spinning a generator replacing a bunch of battery weight.  The turbine powered cars that have come before have been pretty unfriendly to drive sort of things but turbines are really good at a constant rpm...maybe a better way to build a hybrid sportscar was the though.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/16/19 1:06 p.m.

In reply to mke :

So, an APU (Auxiliary Power Unit) and an electric motor with some sort of battery/buffer in the system...

mke
mke HalfDork
10/17/19 7:38 a.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

That was the thought...probably way to expensive to make any sense though.

Still waiting on engine parts  which gives me a mental excuse not to even finish the stuff I do have parts for :(

A bit of chaos returned to the shop...Lana wants the last of the car stuff out of her basement so interior, inner fenders, boxes of wire and connectors, random metal all need homes in the shop.  Then, then I can get back to fixing the broken engine :)

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
10/17/19 9:16 a.m.

Is there any of her stuff in the garage that could be moved into the basement to make room? cheeky

Syscrush
Syscrush New Reader
10/17/19 9:31 a.m.
mke said:

The reason that engine was available is the guy was installing a turbine....where is that...ahh, here

Is this Tavarish? Seems like exactly the right kind of stunt for him - it's spectacular, will get clicks, and will be undriveable.

Syscrush
Syscrush New Reader
10/17/19 9:35 a.m.
mke said:

but with a small turbine spinning a generator replacing a bunch of battery weight.  The turbine powered cars that have come before have been pretty unfriendly to drive sort of things but turbines are really good at a constant rpm...maybe a better way to build a hybrid sportscar was the though.

That's the original configuration for Neil Young's LincVolt. After it was destroyed by fire, it was rebuilt with a Ford piston engine, but the originial generator was powered by a turbine.

mfennell
mfennell Reader
10/18/19 8:34 a.m.
Syscrush said:
mke said:

Is this Tavarish? Seems like exactly the right kind of stunt for him - it's spectacular, will get clicks, and will be undriveable.

Hahah.  Succinct description of his YT channel.  Credit where credit is due: only a few years ago he was writing for Jalopnik about buying beat up $2k 944s or whatever and now he has a custom Murcielago, a giant shop and people give him stuff.  

Syscrush
Syscrush New Reader
10/18/19 12:34 p.m.
mfennell said:

Hahah.  Succinct description of his YT channel.  Credit where credit is due: only a few years ago he was writing for Jalopnik about buying beat up $2k 944s or whatever and now he has a custom Murcielago, a giant shop and people give him stuff.  

His schtick is working for him, and he seems like a nice enough guy, so I'm happy for him.

I actually enjoyed his writing style at Jalopnik, but thought that he doled out just horrendous advice - like basically negligent. And I think he's still deeply lacking in real mechanical knowledge or skill and it stresses me out seeing him wrenching on stuff. But he has an audience that appreciates his work, which is great, and he has shown a willingness to repeatedly just go all-in on trying exciting stuff, which I respect - even if it's not to my taste.

mke
mke HalfDork
10/21/19 2:20 p.m.

Cleaning out the car stuff from the basement and couldn't bring myself to throw out the TR and 400 cams that didn't sell the couple times I listed them so back on ebay no reserve....TR cams sold for $3.25 and the 400 cams brought an amazing $11.00.  Then an hour to pack, tape, gas and time to get to FedEx...I wish I'd dropped them in the trash.  I was thinking they were worth $100-$150 per cam, my how times have changed in the used parts market.  so much for using the cam money to buy the replacement connecting rods.

Hopefully the 944 and Cayenne I found are worth a bit more......

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
10/21/19 10:52 p.m.
mke said:

Hopefully the 944 and Cayenne I found are worth a bit more......Must be a pretty big basement to hide 2 Porsches.

mke
mke HalfDork
10/22/19 3:41 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Doh!

Calipers! 944 and cayenne calipers I bought thinking they could be used on the 308....the original calipers were a modified 914 (916?) so I was thinking why not stick with the theme?  Then the F430 stuff popped up at a good price and it now on the car. 

They've  been on the shelf for many years at this point and probably just need to go..and are hopefully worth more than the cams were....

mke
mke HalfDork
11/1/19 9:24 a.m.

Busy on Lana projects but got this the other day

Coolest engine swaps R&T

And the Frankenferrari is the leading pic

AngryCorvair
11/1/19 9:27 a.m.

In reply to mke :

Ferrari camshafts make excellent Challenge trophies.   Just sayin'...

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
11/1/19 9:33 a.m.

Cool!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/10/19 2:13 p.m.

Boom, 1000 posts. smiley

1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 ... 109

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zp1m37P8UXmgcDc1u1Q6Cv2Db3GtwOiIbiFBm0ItlW8Zby7S10eIakBuSmXsipb9